mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
This chair is killer!

chair.jpg

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
you don't want the Brookstone chair since the backrest is very wide.

i've owned a narrow top (20.5 inches) 'Perfect Chair'/zero gravity chair from the Relax-the-Back store since 1999. recently i did visit a local Relax-The-Back store and sat in one of the Perfect Chairs with a fairly narrow backrest, i think it was this one, the PC-75 Solhouette;

http://www.relaxtheback.com/recliners/zero-gravity/human-touch-silhouette-perfect-chair-pc-75.html

it can be purchased with a choice of leathers and manual or a motor. also can be ordered with the Visco-elastic memory foam which i have. it appears to have a backrest only 21.5 inches wide. my only quibble with this chair is that the pillow is too large. if i were to purchase it i would have the pillow reduced in size by an upolstery shop.

the wide backrests 'cup' the sound and wreak havoc with tonal balance and smear detail.

note; i'm not 100% that is the right chair so do your own research. but get the one with the most narrow back rest, they all pretty much 'sit' the same. and also; the manual chair works great in terms of adjustments; unless you have a physical issue i would avoid the motorized ones. they will be much heavier too for moving around a listening room when you have visitors and people are sitting behind the sweet spot. those chairs are not 'group friendly'.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
But it's not Zero Gravity!

The Prince of Darkness doesn't need zero gravity.

You could always get an inexpensive used dental chair, patients love them, lots of adjustability.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010

This chair, be it a bit unpopular and probably not very hygienic (second hand), IS the best of all the listening chairs:). Reason: you don't have any unwanted reflection spots on the side of your ears :p

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
This chair, be it a bit unpopular and probably not very hygienic (second hand), IS the best of all the listening chairs:). Reason: you don't have any unwanted reflection spots on the side of your ears :p
They outlawed those chairs in my state because the last guy who used one caught his head on fire. However, it is without a doubt that he fully absorbed the passion of the event. None of us have ever been so involved from where we sit.

Some people say that chair has great merit, but I will personally take a pass because the electrifying parts aren't transient enough for my comfort.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
They outlawed those chairs in my state because the last guy who used one caught his head on fire. However, it is without a doubt that he fully absorbed the passion of the event. None of us have ever been so involved from where we sit.

Some people say that chair has great merit, but I will personally take a pass because the electrifying parts aren't transient enough for my comfort.

Haha...fully absorbed indeed. The chair itself must have absorbed al lot as well ;). But on a serious note: I think a well-designed listening chair is either
a. low (so that the head cannot rest > no reflection)
b. has an absorptive capacity in the "head area" :p

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I would prefer the lethal injection chair personally.:(

Once I just about electrocuted myself moving my 240v tube preamp with the lid off. Both my thumbs happened to touch the right contact just inside the case. Luckily I fell down and broke contact with it or I wouldn't be here. Still have scars from the contact points. I felt rather foolish afterward and lucky to survive it. Needless to say I would like to avoid that experience again.:D

I still have that preamp with the lid off (because it sounds better). I just don't touch anything but the front now with it powered up.:p

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
You are one lucky guy, audioarcher.

Tom

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I would prefer the lethal injection chair personally.:(

Once I just about electrocuted myself moving my 240v tube preamp with the lid off. Both my thumbs happened to touch the right contact just inside the case. Luckily I fell down and broke contact with it or I wouldn't be here. Still have scars from the contact points. I felt rather foolish afterward and lucky to survive it. Needless to say I would like to avoid that experience again.:D

I still have that preamp with the lid off (because it sounds better). I just don't touch anything but the front now with it powered up.:p

Your story reminds me of a musical incident that happened when I was three years old and living in Detroit except mine doesn’t have a shocking ending. I always loved music and I used to sit in front of a Zenith clock radio and listen to music when I wasn’t outside playing. Whenever a song I liked came on, I would always reach over to the radio and turn up the volume. Yeah, I was a Johnny-jammer at the age of three.

One time a song came on that I liked and I reached over to turn up the volume and I accidently knocked the radio off the table and onto the floor. I remember looking down in horror when I saw I had broken a pie shaped wedge out of the top of the radio. When I picked up the radio to put it back on the table, I stuck one of my grubby mitts inside the radio via the pie shaped wedge I had just broken out. When I did, my thumb touched the loop antenna on the back of the inside of the radio and low and behold, the sound got louder! From then on out whenever a song I really liked came on the radio, I would stick my thumb inside and place it on the loop antenna so I could jam out.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
What power conditioner works best on the E-chair? Ragged transients? Scorched highs? You can feel the effects of 'bad' AC- it's visceral.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Your story reminds me of a musical incident that happened when I was three years old and living in Detroit except mine doesn’t have a shocking ending. I always loved music and I used to sit in front of a Zenith clock radio and listen to music when I wasn’t outside playing. Whenever a song I liked came on, I would always reach over to the radio and turn up the volume. Yeah, I was a Johnny-jammer at the age of three.

One time a song came on that I liked and I reached over to turn up the volume and I accidently knocked the radio off the table and onto the floor. I remember looking down in horror when I saw I had broken a pie shaped wedge out of the top of the radio. When I picked up the radio to put it back on the table, I stuck one of my grubby mitts inside the radio via the pie shaped wedge I had just broken out. When I did, my thumb touched the loop antenna on the back of the inside of the radio and low and behold, the sound got louder! From then on out whenever a song I really liked came on the radio, I would stick my thumb inside and place it on the loop antenna so I could jam out.
I had a neighbor that used to stick a potato on his car antenna - i have no idea why it improved reception.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area

That's funny Mark. Good thing you didn't equate sticking your fingers in electronics with positive results on other eq.

The funny thing is I was just repositioning it because it was sitting a little crooked on the rack. I've had some minor shocks before that from non audio related things but that one had me in fear of my life.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing