What is the best material to build your floor?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
What issues in particular caesar?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Wood on concrete?

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
What issues with wood floors? Vibration? Scratches? Isolation? Isolation can be obtained but costs -- you have to build a room within a room. There are special dampeners used to support a floating floor (then you have to float the walls and ceiling, too).

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
What issues with wood floors? Vibration? Scratches? Isolation? Isolation can be obtained but costs -- you have to build a room within a room. There are special dampeners used to support a floating floor (then you have to float the walls and ceiling, too).

I have a room within a room and have 3/4" maple laminate as the surface material. The floating floor in the mastering room is sitting on the Kinetics Noise Control "KIP" isolators.

I used Kinetics Noise Control and ASC products throughout the construction.

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Small world (or great minds, eh?); I used Kinetics IsoClips to build my media room. The only issue is that I could not float the ceiling (at least with reasonable construction in the house) and so can still hear loud footfalls from the kitchen above (mechanically transmitted). Sound leakage, even into my son's bedroom next door, is essentially nil.

Maple is a popular floor choice; hard and tight-grained. Oak looks nicer to some (and is what we have upstairs) but maple is generally better.

Still wondering if I should have mapped out a way to support the ceiling on the (floating) walls, but ran into code problems that would have cost me another foot of height and I didn;t really have it to give...

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Still wondering if I should have mapped out a way to support the ceiling on the (floating) walls, but ran into code problems that would have cost me another foot of height and I didn;t really have it to give...

I used the Kinetics Noise control ICW spring hangers for my ceiling. I lost about 4" heigth.

Attachments

• icw..jpg
    icw..jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 341

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
That is probably what I should have done... I followed a friend's build and used the clips everywhere, but (despite their supposedly "universal" application) they do not provide sufficient isolation when used to mount a ceiling. They allow pounding from above to be transmitted through, though they seem to work OK isolating the room above from what's inside my media room. For various reasons it would have been harder to get our contractor to work with the hangers (he loved the clips, however) and it wasn't clear our inspector would pass the hangers for residential use (though I suspect we would have been fine).

Last edited:

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
How about 25mm gauge carpet over concrete, would that work?

If it's above grade, then no problem.

If it's below grade and the concrete isn't sealed, then I would say no. You need a moisture barrier or you'll have mold spores growing in your carpet. If I were doing carpet below grade, I'd first put down a vapor barrier, then double layer marine grade plywood glued together with green glue then the carpet.

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Actually, since concrete tends to "weep" if it is contact with the ground above or below grade, I would follow Bruce's advice about a moisture barrier either way. For that matter, last time I looked at multilevel with concrete subfloors, there was a barrier installed.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Just looking for good sound. I'm thinking of a concrete with a hard wood floor on top of it.

Mike L has both. His room is above grade and the front part of the room is hardwood and the back half is carpeted.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Mike L has both. His room is above grade and the front part of the room is hardwood and the back half is carpeted.

Mine is oak on vapor barrier on concrete (below grade).

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The goal for any absorber is to make it broadband. If it is not that, then it will filter the high frequency reflections and not the lows, causing that modified sound to mix with the direct sound and color it. From Dr. Toole's book of acoustics:

"It is probably safe to
assume that the floor will have carpet (best if it is a clipped-pile, jute-backed,
acoustically porous type), installed over a thick felt cushion so that the combination
behaves like a broadband absorber (see Figure 21.3). It should be in a
location that provides some attenuation of the fl oor bounce from the front L,
C, and R loudspeakers."

Beyond the first reflection, as Don mentions, covering the floor helps to bring the reverberation time of the room to the reasonable range of 0.4 to 0.5 second at 500 Hz. If you have a bare room, it will be 2 to 3 times higher which will harm dialog/vocal intelligibility. I measured 0.8 seconds in our mostly naked vacation house living room with wood floor and the results is as stated: we have trouble even understanding each other! Indeed a great test of whether your room is too reflective is to have someone stand where the speaker is and talk and see if you can understand them in normal voice.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing