How important is the room?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Nice interview , first time i see it.
Interestingly this room has a ceiling which gets higher the further you get from the back wall where the speakers are placed , in my example the side walls get wider , music coming from some kind of " horn" in both occasions

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Well if anyone is ever in the Seattle area, if you ever have a chance to listen to Winston Ma's room, it's a real treat. It's head and shoulders above any room I've heard.

I think that a Bose clock radio would sound magnificent in Winston's room..... especially playing one of his test CDs (burned, not pressed).

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Many people overlook the ceiling when considering treatments... It reflects the same as any other surface, and is often the longest unbroken reflecting surface in the room.

Don,

It is subject that really interests me. I once lived in a house with 12 feet high ceilings and the acoustics were great.

As my current listening room has an 8 feet ceiling, height for treatments is very reduced - I appreciate the idea of diffusors, but they are too deep - and I will have to hide everything (not too difficult). I have some large RPG flutterfree panels, that are very thin, but I am not sure if is a good idea to fix then on the ceiling, they only diffuse frequencies higher than 2500 Hz .

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Don,

It is subject that really interests me. I once lived in a house with 12 feet high ceilings and the acoustics were great.

As my current listening room has an 8 feet ceiling, height for treatments is very reduced - I appreciate the idea of diffusors, but they are too deep - and I will have to hide everything (not too difficult). I have some large RPG flutterfree panels, that are very thin, but I am not sure if is a good idea to fix then on the ceiling, they only diffuse frequencies higher than 2500 Hz .

What I think is a cool idea for folks with 8-foot ceilings is to build a perimeter soffit about 1' - 1.5' tall and about 18" deep on the sides and it can be 2' - 4' deep in the front/back of the room. This is an excellent bass trap and can double as cable traces, projector mount and to have a drop down screen for movies.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
12' ceilings provide a longer TOA (time of arrival) for first reflections and so can help a lot.

For 8' ceilings in the past I have used 2" panels spaced 2" from the ceiling to absorb HF first reflections and that seemed to work reasonably well. Bruce's idea of a soffit for bass control is a good idea, too, if you can. Otherwise, corner traps...

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Bruce, thank you very much for the post you made at the top of this page. Much appreciated. ;)

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Thank you Bruce, great article. Winston's room must sound like the room I heard the other day....a real pleasure and something to aspire to.:)

One of the lucky things about my very small room (which is only 10'X11':(), and possibly the saving grace, is that the ceiling is a vault that goes from 8'10" to 13' and I believe contributes to the betterment of my sound. The speakers fire into the high part of the vault and with the bass trapping behind, this has resulted in a very useable room.
BTW, I think Steve's room also enjoys a vault ceiling:D. Anyone else?

Cameron

Jan 8, 2012
Got to say that this thread bums me out a little. I live in Manhattan, in an apartment. It is quite nice, but the room in which I'm putting my soon-to-arrive very expensive system is (surprise!) quite small. And as a renter there are limits to the structural mods that I can make. I'm sure I'm not alone in this situation, so I will figure out ways to ensure that the room is as conducive to the listening situation as possible.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Thank you Bruce, great article. Winston's room must sound like the room I heard the other day....a real pleasure and something to aspire to.:)

One of the lucky things about my very small room (which is only 10'X11':(), and possibly the saving grace, is that the ceiling is a vault that goes from 8'10" to 13' and I believe contributes to the betterment of my sound. The speakers fire into the high part of the vault and with the bass trapping behind, this has resulted in a very useable room.
BTW, I think Steve's room also enjoys a vault ceiling:D. Anyone else?

Yes:

--------____________________
-------/--------------------------\
------/----------------------------\
-----/------------------------------\
----/--------------------------------\
---/----------------------------------\

* ^ Similar shape to this, except that the side angles are not as steep;
they are closer to 35 degree angles (from 8' to 11').

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
Room has influence, of course. But it doesn't change awful sounding Electronics into good one. I've been in Demo Rooms, expensive ones, listened to super expensive Equipment and it still was dissapointing. The other way is much more interesting, I listened to amazing Performances in normal, tiny rooms. After all those years I think, good sounding Electronics will sound good everywhere. Design done right is the key.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Got to say that this thread bums me out a little. I live in Manhattan, in an apartment. It is quite nice, but the room in which I'm putting my soon-to-arrive very expensive system is (surprise!) quite small. And as a renter there are limits to the structural mods that I can make. I'm sure I'm not alone in this situation, so I will figure out ways to ensure that the room is as conducive to the listening situation as possible.

Ain't that the truth :( Try apartment hunting and ask if it's ok to install dedicated lines. They look at you like you're from Tau Ceti V :(

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Room has influence, of course. But it doesn't change awful sounding Electronics into good one. I've been in Demo Rooms, expensive ones, listened to super expensive Equipment and it still was dissapointing. The other way is much more interesting, I listened to amazing Performances in normal, tiny rooms. After all those years I think, good sounding Electronics will sound good everywhere. Design done right is the key.

I think a bad one can certainly ruin (or come close) the sound of good components, especially amps/speakers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing