Audio Analogue Amplifiers

Loco57

Dec 1, 2011
Melbourne Australia
First post for me, I am wondering if anyone has come across any reviews of some equipment I currently own for the Class A power amps and Stereoline pre amp all SE specification, there appears to be very little in the way of reviews on this equipment and I was wondering amongst you members if anything was known or had been reviewed.

I am currently running the two amps in Bridged mode feeding a pair of Amphion Argon2 Anniversery speakers ( just a bit of overkill ) but considering the limitations of the speakers the results are quite spectacular. For a stand mount 2 way they aquit themselves with a high degree of musicality depth & vocal image clarity beyond their size.

I have determined that this is in part due to the amplifiers, I have run them with other amps I have but rarely use them ( RB-1090's ) the difference is so marked even though they have a respected following if not the same league.

I welcome any feed back.

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
I have listened to AA amplifications 3-4 times so far.

First time it was in an audioshow in Milan in 2004. An all-AA setup, from CD-player till Class A bridged poweramps (not SE edition, that one didn't existed that time), drove a couple of old ML CLS. The sound was just amazing!

Then, in an audioshow in Rome (2007), the almost same setup, with a single Class A amp in stereo mode, drove a couple of just-released SF Cremona Elipsa. The performance was not satisfactory at all, but I think that room issues created the mess (lots of annoying problems with bass expecially).

Last time I remember it was at the place of a friend of mine, also friend with the project leader of AA. I listened to a couple of bridged Class A amps (that now have also been modified), driven by a Classe' DR-6G (also modified by the AA designer) and a CD-player prototype from AA, driving a couple of B&W 802D. The sound was stunning.

I think these amplifications suffer from the lack of an old, established American brand name... :rolleyes:
They really deserve attention :)

Loco57

Dec 1, 2011
Melbourne Australia
Docvale,
thankyou for your observations I believe you may have hit the nail on the head as to why there are so few reviews on this equipment but I am sure this is true of many other excellent makes that have an obscure profile.

It is interesting you make the comment about the sound associated with the Sonus Faber speakers as not long after I purchased these units I had a conversation with Luca one of the technical boys at AA and he advised me that the Stradavari speakers I was considering at the time would potentially not be a suitable match? The comment was along the lines of a Dark overall presentation as the end result.

These amps were a replacement for a pair of Lux class A M300 power amps and a Stax CAY preamp & D0-3 Lux CD player destroyed by a lightning strike. I can honestly say this amplifier combination are without doubt the most listenable I have ever auditioned and there have been some notable comparrisons, drawbacks are the immense amount of heat they generate and their size.

For serious listening forget the first couple of hours after turn on and it probably took a couple of weeks of constant running to settle in from new AA say around the 200 hour mark they will reach their best.

If you are considering top class amplification these are definately worth the effort even if they don't have the brand name appeal of some others, isn't it whats on the inside that counts?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing