added a Nagra T to the roster

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i've been jones'ing for a Nagra T for awhile. a month or so ago i almost bit the big one with a scam in the UK on a phantom Nagra T. with a little help from my friends (Ki and some helpful input from some other's too) i realized in time and avoided ruining my day.

Ki has tried to warn me away from the Nagra T since once they have issues mostly you are screwed. however; who said this is a logical hobby? not me. so i boldly pushed forward and did run across what appeared to be a really pristene example on ebay. i contacted the owner and was able to get more information. turned out it was a one owner Nagra T owned by a guy who was a film editor/colorist and had a studio in Atlanta. he had purchased the Nagra new in the late 70's, used it for about 18 months on some TV and film work, and then the technology for what he was doing evolved away from the Nagra T. since then, it has been a trophy and toy, almost never used. and it looks it. it has been in his bedroom for years in his condo.

it arrived yesterday and is really very nice and clean. i can only play 7 and 1/2" reels for now and have purchased some hubs so i'll be able to play 10 and 1/2" reels.

it works perfectly, and sounds great on the 2-track 7 and 1/2ips tapes i have.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Congrats Mike. I lust after that machine every time I see it. Like you, I tried to buy one from UK but the seller never responded.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Very nice Mike,congrats

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Congrats man--you have two of the best nearby to help with maintaining your Nagra :)

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
thanks guys.

i do have a level of comfort with Ki and Doc in the neighborhood. hopefully i won't need the help, but if i do......

Amir, i think plenty of people have taken a run at those U.K. Nagra scamers. we likely don't hear about the one's who crashed and burned.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
where did you find it Mike

Steve,

found it on ebay in Florida. it makes a good story.

i was actually quite surprised at winning it at $4750. the seller had no feedback and this was his first ebay transaction. he had never used paypal before. that might have scared off other potential bidders. so i e-mailed the seller with my contact info and he called me. i'd been talking to the seller on the phone on and off for a week. we'd developed a friendship and i learned all about the Nagra and it's history. i was even able to google the seller and see that he was listed on some films as a film editor; so i was comfortable that he was legit. the night before the auction ended i made an offer of $5300 (i was prepared to go as high as $6k) to have him sell it to me directly. he expected to get more so he passed on my offer. then we were both surprised i got it for $4750. i decieded to pay him an additional $250 just to keep the peace and good will in the transaction....and shipping was $575 to my home. so i'm in it $5575 plus $160 for hubs for the 10 and 1/2" reels. i'm happy now that it seems to be everything it was represented to be.

i hope i have not jinxed it now. :D

Last edited:

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Wow, that looks great!

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Love the pics, Mike

Oh, yeah :D

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Mike - I assume you modded the Nagra to play with your external KC preamp, right?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike - I assume you modded the Nagra to play with your external KC preamp, right?

not yet.

my intentions are to get a switch on the heads the 1/2" A-820 and the Nagra T, and maybe even the Ampex ATR-102 with direct outs from the heads so i can use the KC pre repro. however; i'm not qualified to do that work. at some point in time hopefully Ki can help me with it. i'm happy with how the 1/4" A820 sounds with the KC, Ki is a very busy guy, and so it will happen when the stars align.

honestly my 2 Nagra purchases were as much a matter of audio jewelry as sonic need. they are just so cool. so there is no hurry.

i'm actually more interested in getting hooked up with proper connectors for my little Nagra IV-S so i can take it with me to play at friends or audio events. i've just been so busy the last few months i've not followed up to deal with it.

Dave Distenfass is working on my Ampex 350-2 deck right now and that will be coming along at some point in the next few months, he will also be setting up my 351 mic pre's as a repro unit possibly with a transformer so i can use it with modern low impedence heads. that is kinda up in the air but possible....and i could see that working with those direct outputs from some of the decks.

my new tt setup with the NVS and Telos tonearm has been a huge (very pleasurable) distraction to my tape focus for the last few months.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Ki is a very busy guy, and so it will happen when the stars align.

my new tt setup with the NVS and Telos tonearm has been a huge (very pleasurable) distraction to my tape focus for the last few months.

Hey Mike,

Left Vegas on Friday early morning, spent a night in Seoul before landing in Beijing... Got to figure out a way to retire so that I can make time to finish what I had started including making your A820's direct wire pretty and do the same to your other decks. I have few promises I had made to other tape friends and have their decks in my house to be completed first before I can get yours done at last. Be paitient!

I made two trips to Jonathan's room and listened to tapes the second time. Ed Pong and Tony Ma brought their tapes to the show, and what I heard was very good - so good, I voted with my wallet in the lobby of the Flamingo hotel... I like simple recordings and their tapes had tons of ambient and fine sonic details that seem to get lost in many of the multi-generation dubs and other commercial tapes.

I was kind of hoping to see and hear the NVS with Joel's arm but was denied...

I'll have you over soon so that I can play Tony's tapes for you, and show you the A820 and the Nagra T wiring options.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Got it Mike, hope you can have it up & running soon enough, I had mine modified thanks to Ki instructions with a local hi-end technician - I am not there yet, but hope to have it at its full in a month or so, including a KC full preamp from CK.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing