"Downgrading" from a Nagra Tube DAC to a Lampi Pac, or a Neodio Origine S2.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks for your reply, coincidentally I spoke to this gentleman (jazzhead right?) just last week about the Lampi and the Neodio after your blog turned up in my googling of Neodio. Yeah he loves the pac, but I don't think he's heard the Nagra Tube DAC.

AFAIK, only Redphu has done proper compare of these two DACs.

i did not say he had heard the Nagra. My post was in context of the neodio which we both liked, and the Lampi too.

as for the Lampi, proper compares are done only if you have the right valves

Last edited:

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
AFAIK, only Redphu has done proper compare of these two DACs.
Well you're wrong...
P.S. Nagra was powered with external MPS unit ef6db59e-0333-4ea2-b1a0-78dde8b20adb.jpeg

Last edited:

Redphu

Sep 24, 2018
Ah! I think you are the gentleman I referred to in my post #5. Thanks for dropping by and replying to my thread question.

Do you mind if I ask you if the tubes in your Lampi Pac were stock?
Also what server/streamer do you use with your Nagra Tube DAC?

I confess, I do love the Nagra Tube DAC, and wonder if I will be making a big mistake.
I don’t remember the tubes but they were the ones Lukasz recommended. At that time I was using the pink faun 2.16x streamer. Not that the Pacific is bad, it’s very inviting and seductive, but when we switched to the Nagra, it just feels like you’re listening to live music, without the extra warmth and slowness that stood out to the three of us(sorry if I don't have the correct descriptive term). On top of that, have you seen the build quality, the 3 units I had, Golden Gate(s) and Pacific were not closed to the workmanship of the Nagra products.

Last edited:

essrand

Jan 8, 2018
Well you're wrong...
P.S. Nagra was powered with external MPS unit View attachment 123386
Lovely system. Thanks for sharing, I am drooling over your Nagra VPA.

But I spy a Nagra HD DAC, not the Nagra Tube DAC which is the next iteration of the HD DAC (I think Nagra did themselves quite a bit of disservice with the DAC naming, for sure).

essrand

Jan 8, 2018
i did not say he had heard the Nagra. My post was in context of the neodio which we both liked, and the Lampi too.

as for the Lampi, proper compares are done only if you have the right valves
Agreed. Sorry, I did not mean to imply that you said that he had heard Nagra. But yes, this was great post to get a compare on Neodio vs Lampi.

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
This thread is a perfect example of the futility in trying to get audiophiles to agree on anything. One person’s sonic nirvana is another’s anathema. If you are of the opinion that any component emblazoned with the moniker “Nagra” ensures it is the greatest thing since sliced bread, you’re hardly likely to change your mind based on someone else’s opinion.

Reactions: Nuforce

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing