Should I pick up an Emotiva UPA-2?

WirelessSound

Mar 11, 2011
Emotiva and BIC America Acoustech

Ever since I bought the XPA-5 and driving it with the Denon AVR-4311CI, I have never been happier.

EMOTIVA is a great company, great people, and some deals that are very hard to beat for pre/pro's and amps.

But I have to be honest, I purchased the BIC America Acoustech PL-200 SubWoofer, and am in AWE over the SPL at 30Hz. (110db) and what it produces for the price at $279 delivered.

I would let your Onkyo handle the additional channels, and maybe put those hard earned dollars toward maybe even an AVR or Pre/Pro FLAGSHIP UNIT if you don't have one.

WirelessSound

Mar 11, 2011
Its ridiculously cheap (clearance saled at $299) and I have been very pleased w/ my XPA-5.

I am running my front stage off the XPA-5 (Klipsch RF-7 mains, rc 64 center and RF-82 wides).

I am upgrading my rear wides to RF-82's and going w/ rf-52's as surrounds. I was planning to use my Onkyo TX NR 3008 to power the rear wides and surrounds, but am wondering if the sq will be improved w/ an additional amp.

The Onk is rated at 135 watts in a 9.2 configuration, but we all know avr's never bench at the advertised numbers. The Klipsch are efficient, but I am thinking I might do well to pick up the UPA.

What do the experts here think?

Just curious how big of room (L x W x H) are you running those nice Klipsch's in? I am running RF-82II's for FL/FR, and RC-62 Center, and RS-52 Surrounds... Would love to get a couple RF-7's for Fronts and move the RF82's to Wides --- do you think that would be a good idea (Approx. $2K right) for new RF-7's?

Dr_jitsu

Jun 17, 2011
Ever since I bought the XPA-5 and driving it with the Denon AVR-4311CI, I have never been happier.

EMOTIVA is a great company, great people, and some deals that are very hard to beat for pre/pro's and amps.

But I have to be honest, I purchased the BIC America Acoustech PL-200 SubWoofer, and am in AWE over the SPL at 30Hz. (110db) and what it produces for the price at $279 delivered.

I would let your Onkyo handle the additional channels, and maybe put those hard earned dollars toward maybe even an AVR or Pre/Pro FLAGSHIP UNIT if you don't have one.

Thanks, I am running the TX NR 3008 which is one step down from the Onkyo flagship avr (5008). I may go w/ separates some day in the future.

As far as subs are concerned, I am running 2 Chase Home Theater 182's up front (each consists of 2 sealed 18 inch subs in one box, I have one on each side of my TV screen powered by 2 SA 100 freestanding amps that are individually tunable...had them professionally tuned). I am running a CHT 18.T (2 separate sealed 18 inch subs powered by one SA 1000 amp). They are very tight and musical, but produce insane spl levels.

Dr_jitsu

Jun 17, 2011
Just curious how big of room (L x W x H) are you running those nice Klipsch's in? I am running RF-82II's for FL/FR, and RC-62 Center, and RS-52 Surrounds... Would love to get a couple RF-7's for Fronts and move the RF82's to Wides --- do you think that would be a good idea (Approx. $2K right) for new RF-7's?

It is my living room...high ceiling, but room itself is medium sized. However it opens into my kitchen (separated by a 4 feet tall wall) and hallway, and separate dining area. Total area is very large (1800 sq feet, not calculating height) and that is why I have what seems like speaker overkill.

Dr_jitsu

Jun 17, 2011
And don't forget; your room is 50% of the sound you hear. :)

It has tile flooring, but I have a nice Persian rug covering 95% of the area, and other small throw rugs covering the rest. One side of the room is windows, from the ceiling on down, however I have blinds and curtains. The curtains improve sound quality pretty dramatically.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing