Should I upgrade my system?

Dr_jitsu

Jun 17, 2011
Hello audiophiles:

Thinking of maybe going to separates and upgrading my front stage amp and wanted to tap into the large brain trust here at WB.

I am running Klipsch rf7 mains, a 64 center channel, and 82 wides for my front stage powered by an Emotiva XPA-5. My rear stage (rf82's and 52's) is run off my Emotiva TX NR3008. I am running 6 18 inch CHT subs which have their own 3 amps.

I have a chance to get a very good deal on a Theta Digital Intrepid balanced 100 watt 5-channel power amplifier:http://www.stereophile.com/solidpowe...625/index.html

Any opinions are welcome...the Theta is less powerful, but should be more quite (much lower sig-noise rating). The Klipsch are very efficient, but will I be OK w/ the less powerful, but more clean sounding Theta?

I guess the bottom line is, will I hear a significant improvement? Use is 80% TV/Movies, 20% music.

Also, there are some very good deals to be had on separates. Since I have an Oppo 93 I can go separates w/ out a videpo processr (TV is a Mitsu 83 inch DLP)

http://slickdeals.net/f/3994882-Hig...sors-and-amps-on-sale-at-Classic-Audio-Parts?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
It depends on what sort of improvement you are looking for. I've had the 5-channel Dreadnaught, and even that seemed to be "polite". The Intrepid is even more polite. I think that it boils down to the power supply - on the Dreadnaught, when I removed 3 of the amplification modules, and just ran it as a 2-channel amp, it's pretty good. I've always been more impressed by the Theta processor/source components than their amplifiers.

May be Kal may have a different impression since he reviewed the Intrepid for Stereophile.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
In my humble opinion, you'd be better served by getting a better preamp/processor first. You could still use the amplifier section of the receiver to run your surrounds until you got another dedicated amp. Of course, the trick is finding a deal equivalent to the amp deal in front of you!

Lee

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
in my humble opinion, you'd be better served by getting a better preamp/processor first. Of course, the trick is finding a deal equivalent to the amp deal in front of you!

Lee

+1 imho 2

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
the Theta is less powerful, but should be more quite (much lower sig-noise rating).

You don't need the power for the Klipsch, so the issue is the noise? Can you hear the noise floor? If not, save your money. Or spend it on movies and music.

Tim

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Dr_jitsu. Many folks have asked this question and the answers are usually somewhat all over the place. Before the suggestions keep pouring in, you asked the question....

Should I upgrade my system?

Ultimately, this is a question you should ask yourself. I'm taking it that you are wanting to upgrade [something], just based on the post itself. The question I ask of you is, what kind of system improvements are you looking for? Everybody has different tastes and gripes about what it is we hear but without knowing what it is you are looking to improve, none of the suggestions will really help you to achieve your goal, IMO. In other words, we need to know more about your preferences and what your goals are.

Would you be so kind to take the time and clarify a bit on what it is you are actually wanting to improve? Help us to help you, in other words.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Dr. J,

If i read "in between the lines", you seem interested in the Intrepid because it has a lower noise signal stat, and in general could possibly sound 'cleaner'. True?

Dr_jitsu

Jun 17, 2011
Hello, Dr_jitsu. Many folks have asked this question and the answers are usually somewhat all over the place. Before the suggestions keep pouring in, you asked the question....

Ultimately, this is a question you should ask yourself. I'm taking it that you are wanting to upgrade [something], just based on the post itself. The question I ask of you is, what kind of system improvements are you looking for? Everybody has different tastes and gripes about what it is we hear but without knowing what it is you are looking to improve, none of the suggestions will really help you to achieve your goal, IMO. In other words, we need to know more about your preferences and what your goals are.

Would you be so kind to take the time and clarify a bit on what it is you are actually wanting to improve? Help us to help you, in other words.

As you and lloydelee21 posit, I want a better, cleaner sound. To be forthright, I have been pretty happy with the way the system currently sounds. However some (over at AVS and from other forums) have noted that the Theta amp will match well with the Klipsch horn loaded speakers and the sound will be a bit warmer w/ out compromising the excellent detail that these speakers have. Also, If I went with the ATI pre-pro I could use the processor in my Oppo 93 for my TV which is better, I am told, than the one in my Onkyo 3008. I hope I am not being too vague, but I want better sound and possibly better picture quality.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
One more time: Can you hear the noise floor? If you can't, if you get an audible change in sound it may or may not be better. I wouldn't spend...oh, wait a minute...the new processor has a little bitty TV screen on the front of it? Might not sound a bit better, but that's cool!

Seriously? You want a tangible upgrade in sound? Start shopping for speakers. And hold on to the Emotivas because the majority of the good stuff is going to be less efficient than the Klipsch and you'll need the power.

Tim

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Dr Jitsu

Have you considered the Integra Pre/Pro? They are the real deal and more. I would think they would likely bring more to your system than the Theta amp to which honestly i never was exactly enthusiastic based on a few auditions, not in my own system mind you. I am not sure you would get the same sweet deal but a serious Pre/pro with the Audyssey room correction would bring you a lot more than a mere change from a very good amp (The Emotiva) to the Theta whom you are assuming is superior to the Emotiva .. Not necessarily true.. If there is a giant beater out there, it is Emotiva.. Their low-cost belies their excellent constructions , good looks and sonics...
a pre/pro with the level of control, superior surround steering, great DAC and room correction can take your system to another level. The Integra and maybe their DTR 70.3 AVR the could be the ticket ... It seems to have most of the functionality of the Pre/Pro. I don't know what are the extent of its room correction system compared to that of the Pre/Pro....my $-02

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Seriously? You want a tangible upgrade in sound? Start shopping for speakers. And hold on to the Emotivas because the majority of the good stuff is going to be less efficient than the Klipsch and you'll need the power.

Tim

I am with Tim on this one...i think your amplification is quite good, and i am not convinced that the Intrepid will necessarily be a gigantic change...at least in comparison to a comparable amount of money spent on the speakers. The Emotivas are good stuff. I cannot speak to the specific Klipschs' you own, but personally my instincts say speakers.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
+1. The NR3008 is fairly new, has XT32, and the amps are already overkill for the speakers (i.e. you have plenty of headroom).

Theta has made some great amps, but I seriously doubt you will hear any significant difference by switching amps, or the AVR for that matter.

You may make significant audible changes by simply moving your speakers and adding/modifying room treatment. I agree with those who have said the next major step up in components would be speakers, not the electronics.

If you like what you have, suppress the upgrade bug and buy some new movies, music, or whatever. I know how hard it can be to suppress the upgrade itch with money in your pocket; frankly, I think the best thing you could do to avoid scratching that itch is to simply send all excess funds to me and I will gladly suffer for you. :)

FWIWFM - Don

edit: Oops, sorry, did not read from the start so all I did was repeat what several others have already said. Oh well, the more the merrier...

Last edited:

Dr_jitsu

Jun 17, 2011
Phelonious:

OK, I just listened to some Stray Cats...actually listened closely to brief breaks between the songs, and I could not hear any hissing of any sort.

Speaking of speakers, what do you recommend, as I have been pretty happy with the RF'7's....the other speakers are inferior (even though they are all part of the Reference series...only the 7's are American made). To be honest the only upgrade I have considered was some Klipschorns.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing