first 1/2 inch master tape

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I picked up my first 1/2 inch master tape today. It was mastered at Bridgetown Music in southern calif. The tape is pretty neet as it has "Satin Doll" and other songs,the group features a Hammond organ and a vocal group that sounds talented. I sure don't know who it is, but it's a lot of fun to listen to and sounds great.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Hi Roger,

Congrats, I hope that you enjoy it. So, when are you going to make a 1/4" dub of it so some of us can hear close to this quality that do not want to turn our 1/4" machines into 1/2" machines? ;) :D

Rich

Hi Rich,

I'll make you one! You should have a master dub for your new Ampex. I was surprised at how good the music is kinda like the Four Freshman with a Hammond B3,band,and a sax. Not as good as the 4 fresh but very talented and pleasent. You know if it was a stinker I wouldn't even offer,Lol.

I didn't turn it up the first time,because you never know what's on it! The sound is....the tonal quality of the instruments stand out along with the "closeness" of the instruments. I was surprised at how well the 440 sounds in comparison, Uh oh there I go again.

I'm in a good mood because now I can justify having a 1/2" master recorder.

Roger

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Hi Roger

Knowing what Tape Project tapes cost I can only imagine what a 1/2" tape costs

Hi Steve,

I think Mike L. said they find you,but in this case I found it. At 30 bucks it was a deal.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
a deal isn't the word for it. Great find Roger

Well I was so excited I never looked at the outside of the large Ampex box that the tape came in, I just read the recording work order sheet. The tape is of the John Buzon Trio out of Los Angeles. I guess they are popular down there and I can see why.

Song list from the studio

Last edited:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Roger
did you try the different between master and master dub also the dub from master dub yet ?
tony ma

Hi Tony,

Not yet, but I adjusted the playback level on my Studer, my god this tape rocks. I'm going to make a dub for Richard. I was going to wait for my Ampex record cards to open up, I have about 30 hours on them and already there starting to sound darn good. I also found a virgin roll of Quantegy 456 to use.

Either way the dub should sound awesome.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I guess the John Buzon Trio was good enough to be on Steve Hoffman's DCC Bachelor's Den in HiFi Cd. Buzon was popular in the late 1950's.

You never know what's out there.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Hi Tony,

Not yet, but I adjusted the playback level on my Studer, my god this tape rocks. I'm going to make a dub for Richard. I was going to wait for my Ampex record cards to open up, I have about 30 hours on them and already there starting to sound darn good. I also found a virgin roll of Quantegy 456 to use.

Roger
Although the new silver cables and transformers still not break in yet, but when we try some different brands blank tape for dubbing, we can easily found out which one is the best. the master tape is Quantegy GP9, the best dub is the the same GP9 next is 499 or Ampex 499, next one quite down a lot is RMG SM900, the worst is ATR like sound of CD, but today still in production is only RMG and ATR, all GP9 and 499 in hand has to be for master recording use only, some Scotch 996 pancake should be also good sounding too but need to bake and check before use, 456 not as good as 499 and machine needs bias reset for 456 so not going to use right now, final decision is to order RMG for copies
tony ma

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Hi Tony,

Roger
Although the new silver cables and transformers still not break in yet, but when we try some different brands blank tape for dubbing, we can easily found out which one is the best. the master tape is Quantegy GP9, the best dub is the the same GP9 next is 499 or Ampex 499, next one quite down a lot is RMG SM900, the worst is ATR like sound of CD, but today still in production is only RMG and ATR, all GP9 and 499 in hand has to be for master recording use only, some Scotch 996 pancake should be also good sounding too but need to bake and check before use, 456 not as good as 499 and machine needs bias reset for 456 so not going to use right now, final decision is to order RMG for copies
tony ma

I will have to reset my bias also for the dub,but that's Ok as I need to check it anyway.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Extremely cool

Well I was so excited I never looked at the outside of the large Ampex box that the tape came in, I just read the recording work order sheet. The tape is of the John Buzon Trio out of Los Angeles. I guess they are popular down there and I can see why.

Song list from the studio

Love the music, Roger :p
Are you running at 30 ips?

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Love the music, Roger :p
Are you running at 30 ips?

Hi Sam,

The tape is 7.5 with about 50 minutes of music. Maybe my next one will be 15 or 30 ips, but I would rather have the music.:D:)

p.s. I listened to this tape a couple of times last night and what really stands out is the space and ambient detail captured in the recording process. It's not live,but you are in the room and that's really neat stuff.

Last edited:

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Roger-How is the noise since it's 7 1/2 ips? Does the noise go down when it's recorded on 1/2" tape?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Roger-How is the noise since it's 7 1/2 ips? Does the noise go down when it's recorded on 1/2" tape?

As Rich Brown once said to me, it's the tape generation that's more important than the speed (hope I got that right Rich). Ergo, a 71/2 ips master is going to be better than a 15 ips later gen tape. I heard a 71/2 ips master that Rich brought over one time and it had wonderful low end but was a little limited at the top end. Also, we tend to judge 71/2 ips by the commercial recordings and that's probably unfair since they're how many generations (?) and certainly not done in real time.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I also thought that faster tape speed = less noise.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I also thought that faster tape speed = less noise.

Hi Mark,

You are probably right,but I have never heard a 15 ips master, so I have to go with what I have experienced. If I compare this tape to anything I currently have it is the best I have heard. I want to make sure my Studer is biased correctly for this Ampex 406 tape and then I can really get a feel for the sound quality. Right now I think my Ampex 440 electronics are quieter than the Studer but I have no way of testing one against the other.

I can see why master tapes are sought after. I have one master dub 1/4" tape done on a Crown,and while it sounds better than a pre recorded 1/4 inch,as they say don't bring a knife to a gun fight.

Once I have my Studer and Ampex setup correctly I'm going to turn the volume up and see how big this Hammond B3 can sound.:D

Listening to 1/2 inch makes me want to buy a big Ampex like a MM1200....god help me. Only kidding!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing