Basement listening room. Best type of ceiling ?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Looking for recommendations. I’m buying a new home. The basement listening room is 19’x28’x9.5’
The ceiling has flimsy drop tile. What are some beneficial options for redoing the ceiling. I am assuming drop tile type ceilings are bad for sound ?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
This is what I did to my basement ceiling..... though I had almost 12' to work with...

My Camera's Pictures 003.jpg

My Camera's Pictures 006.jpg

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
How about just building a room inside the basement (a room inside a room) since there is a lot of space in every direction?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I'd just go with sheetrock and basic insulation.

david

That makes me happy. I might be able to gain a half a foot or so going a tighter gap between floor joists, insulation and Sheetrock. The home has a walkout basement via a garage. No stairs to lug equipment down. Fortunately I can remain in my current place until the new place is tweaked....meaning I don’t move their full time until stereo is ready to go over. 30 minute drive between both places.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
That makes me happy. I might be able to gain a half a foot or so going a tighter gap between floor joists, insulation and Sheetrock. The home has a walkout basement via a garage. No stairs to lug equipment down. Fortunately I can remain in my current place until the new place is tweaked....meaning I don’t move their full time until stereo is ready to go over. 30 minute drive between both places.

Ceiling height is important, keep as much as possible.

david

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I'd just go with sheetrock and basic insulation.

david

+1

That is what I am doing.

(But I think I like the blue jeans insulation.)

Those are great dimensions, Christian!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Plus ones for both of David's posts

The extra height will also help should you require clouds

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
How about just building a room inside the basement (a room inside a room) since there is a lot of space in every direction?

Neil Sinclair( Ex Theta) built his LA Listening and Drum room this way.

BruceD

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
It’s possible. Is the current foot print too large ? 19x28. I plan to store the many racks of LP’s and tape in there.
It’s only average size for your speakers Chris, retain every inch. I’ve spent time in room within room mastering studios, some quite elaborate with decoupled walls, ceiling and floor and I really hated them but was exactly what the mastering engineer wanted. Just walking into a couple really dead ones was physically disorienting.

david

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I would want to keep the 9.5’ ceiling, or as much height as possible. Room volume seems to be a major factor in SQ.
I think that it is a much much easier problem to deal with if you have too big a room vs. too small a room.
The small room, like the one I listen to, is a serious challenge to any a’phile...
Give me too big a room any day.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
I would keep the drop in panels and just stuff the cavity with insulation .. the only problem with a dropped tile ceiling is that the individual panels can cause buzzes etc , easy enough to fix using some mastic or blutak ... depends on how loud you play...

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
It’s only average size for your speakers Chris, retain every inch. I’ve spent time in room within room mastering studios, some quite elaborate with decoupled walls, ceiling and floor and I really hated them but was exactly what the mastering engineer wanted.

This is what my 2 room are.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
This is what my 2 room are.

And you are a mastering engineer! The room and system are a unified analytical tool for engineers to take things apart, balance, add, subtract and come up with a product that's not what the end user needs or frankly can live with. This isn't a knock against the engineer or anything just a fact about the difference in approach to music, the consumer has mostly passive involvement while the recording artist & engineer have a deliberate active approach to music.

david

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Wow great size, congrats.

slcaudiophile

Nov 6, 2014
Um ... SLC?
agreed. i’m struggling with the same issue. low frequency issues are making my life difficult. i’m trying to make a 7.5 ceiling work. ultimately, going to have to move my new listening room.

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
I have a room in a basement that is about 18 x 40 x 9' 6"

I built the room within a room as suggested above. I added 2x6 studs around the existing 2x4 - you loose a bit of space- I added commercial rated 5/8 " drywall. My goal was not to sound proof it really did not matter to me. I just wanted a solid space impervious to leakage with reasonable tactics.Reality is if you have a door entering the room, subfloors meeting ceiling joists and mechanicals- you can't have a sound proof outer environment without much work and expense and then you have to ask is it even important based on how you listen and live.

The ceiling is an issue. if you completely drywall it with multilayers it you will loose access to mechanicals and the opportunity to make repairs or modifications that inevitably crop up in home ownership. Moreover, if you have HVAC or pipes running through that ceiling they will transfer sound easily regardless of what you do to mitigate it without a lot of work and it still won't completely get there.

It's a compromise.. do you want a ceiling to come down in a finished basement because you need a plumbing repair? or ... run another wire or vent a new HVAC system? - or do you want to run it through a planned bulk head with access.

I compromised and did both. 90% of the ceiling was dropped with z channel for decoupling and double drywalled- but - I left 2 bulk heads for access with commercial ceiling tile where mechanicals go through and where I could have access.

A completely dead or engineered room is over-rated IMO. I've seen guys spend 100's of thousands and go back an modify the rooms on their own to gain a little life back. Good solid engineering advice is fine- but you may not like the result. Dimensions for standing waves and the biggest space possible is probably most important.

Your contractor can give you advice- good luck

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing