Pacific dac: Lampizator's new top of the line dac

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Recti is not the same as output tube. I speak of the RK recti...though 2 people I know live the RK px25.

That I'd like to hear as the standard one is so good. I find it hard to believe it has been bettered, but you never know.

AD1 is still killer even with the Luxman combo IF you can cope with its microphony. It is the most excellent example of how a microphonic tube can sound absolutely brilliant I can think of. It's such a shame you can hear it is with the wrong material.

Christoph pop your PX25 RK in the post for me :D.;)

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
So does my Big 7 MKII. This was added with the upgrade.
Thanks for the info regarding the new gain switch. I assume, it will be standard on GG2 too. I would love to have it in my GG2, currently using RK PX25 and the gain is rather high comparing to 300b tubes. Do you guys know, if it can be installed remotely by a distributor, or a unit needs to be sent to Lukasz?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Thanks for the info regarding the new gain switch. I assume, it will be standard on GG2 too. I would love to have it in my GG2, currently using RK PX25 and the gain is rather high comparing to 300b tubes. Do you guys know, if it can be installed remotely by a distributor, or a unit needs to be sent to Lukasz?

When I had my upgrade done Fred said that these upgrades are typically, if not always, done in Poland. Lukasz wants to be involved.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
After fast and swift action from my side and quick response from Lampi team, Duracell Pac arrived yesterday on my door steps in big and hefty flight case. Didn’t take long to plug it in and something what i was silently wishing for for quite some time started to sing. As my system is currently in “few things” on the fly update mode I could not give it a proper spin but still it was sufficient enough to hear that this will make an anchor point of digital for the upcoming years (maybe shorter if Lukasz comes with something more crazy :cool:).
Versus my GG2.5 I still don’t want to draw any conclusions until i get the entire system in the right state but for the start it is super promising.
But i can instantly draw one conclusion and that is that at least with Pac Elrog tubes are a pure no match. Talking about 300b and 274b. Just too slow, mellow, dull, you name it. After swapping with ACME 274b and RK242 it was just “kaboom” - big, bold, fast, transparent, details,...just unbelievable...so today i’ll try with PX25 and one of these will be in for good...while with recti i might still play...
7CD225CE-2CE6-469D-97B6-387AF60B5EAF.jpeg 4FAC7DE1-FB4A-4834-9ED0-7C83C97DB835.jpeg 31437AC6-CAF8-47DD-99A8-0D26109A301F.jpeg FB8914D6-1867-4F18-802A-F945E5DA2BDD.jpeg A6CBDF2D-A655-4737-820A-1589F830E2AB.jpeg

Last edited:

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

Trab

Apr 3, 2017
Cracow / Poland
After fast and swift action from my side and quick response from Lampi team, Duracell Pac arrived yesterday on my door steps in big and hefty flight case. Didn’t take long to plug it in and something what i was silently wishing for for quite some time started to sing. As my system is currently in “few things” on the fly update mode I could not give it a proper spin but still it was sufficient enough to hear that this will make an anchor point of digital for the upcoming years (maybe shorter if Lukasz comes with something more crazy :cool:).
Versus my GG2.5 I still don’t want to draw any conclusions until i get the entire system in the right state but for the start it is super promising.
But i can instantly draw one conclusion and that is that at least with Pac Elrog tubes are a pure no match. Talking about 300b and 274b. Just to slow, mellow, dull you name it. After swapping with ACME 274b and RK242 it was just “kaboom” - big, bold, fast, transparent, details,...just unbelievable...so today i’ll try with PX25 and one of these will be in for good...while with recti i might still play...

Wait a minute. What do you mean "Duracell Pac" ? Is there some kind of battery powered device ?

Reactions: Golum

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Wait a minute. What do you mean "Duracell Pac" ? Is there some kind of battery powered device ?
Yeah this is the latest trick from Lukasz crazy lab...uses 4x AAA batteries for power supply of the DAC and they need to be Duracell as he got the best results with them :p
Just a code name for this color scheme..

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I don't know. All these Pacs.

If you want a proper DAC, get one of these and a WE396A.

A friend discovered the DAC, I discovered the best valve for it and many people bought the combo on a UK forum.

It's a £100 tube or solid state output DAC.

It is, for the money, absolutely brilliant. Seriously I can listen to it for extended periods it's that good.

Attachments

• IMG_20191023_200139.jpg
    IMG_20191023_200139.jpg
    954.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20191023_200120.jpg
    IMG_20191023_200120.jpg
    820.3 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: Narayan

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I don't know. All these Pacs.
Don’t get you..what do you mean by “all these Pacs”.
There are only two - SE and BAL and few color schemes...no more no less

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Don’t get you..what do you mean by “all these Pacs”.
There are only two - SE and BAL and few color schemes...no more no less

No, I mean all these people with Pacs.

I bought that DAC while Lucasz failed to fix my DAC. I am now trying to get it sorted once and for all (third effort, one resignation because of it, 4th engineer).

I am just saying it is a remarkable reality grounder and a great lesson in what can be achieved for very little money. I urge all Lampi owners to buy one for fun.

No it won't beat a Big 7 even. But it sure as hell isn't bad.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You should try the compare again now that you have the Luxman pre and power

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I think AD1 is a real lesson in how valve post ring can sound great.

No matter how well you isolate your DAC with respect to what it is resting on you will always get airborne feedback unless it is in another room.

Post ring means the valve feeds back what it just heard acoustically.

An it does sound annoyingly good. It shouldn't, but it does.

What a dilemma!

At the same time AD1 for my money is still the best Lampi sound. With that annoying issue you can hear the feedback on transient led material like drums with nothing else in the mix. Even vocals at highish volume on TV will fuck it.

PX4, PX25, 242, EML 45 GM and RK 300B all do much better with regard to post ring but they are still not immune.

Last edited:

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Had a small rolling session yesterday with @wisnon to see which tubes I'll leave for longer period of time and as 300b was kicked out immediately on the first night, we checked Rk242, PX25 and EML PX4 Mash. We had on hand 45 globe anniv. tubes as well but just no willingness to try them at the end.
As with all other Pac I've heard, 242 and PX25 are by far the best combo and nuances or system preferences might swing towards first or second direction. At the end I decided to keep both at home and rest goes to basement to wait for better days. All played with ACME 274b which is one hell of a rectifier.

Last edited:

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
PX25 I get. 242 I don't. One day I will hear it sound great. Maybe:);)

EML 45 GM is just brilliant with Luxman solid state amps. But also with other solid state and passive gear.

Golum what is the rest of your system?

Reactions: christoph and Golum

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Had a small rolling session yesterday with @wisnon to see which tubes I'll leave for longer period of time and as 300b was kicked out immediately on the first night, we checked Rk242, PX25 and EML PX4 Mash. We had on hand 45 globe anniv. tubes as well but just no willingness to try them at the end.
As with all other Pac I've heard, 242 and PX25 are by far the best combo and nuances or system preferences might swing towards first or second direction. At the end I decided to keep both at home and rest goes to basement to wait for better days. All played with ACME 274b which is one hell of a rectifier.
Good stuff. Thanks to you, I have the Acme 274B incoming. I'm also thinking about giving the Acme 300B a shot since I've heard good things about it from the Line Magnetic forums.

Reactions: christoph and Golum

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Golum can you post a photo of your EML 45 before it gets "archived"?

I want to see what sort of internal physical resemblance it has with mine. Can post pics of mine too but I want to see what we are talking about here.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Anyway what the hell are KR doing branding a low output triode as 242 when that designation is essentially a 211 type design historically?

What have I missed?

I think I might have known the answer to that question a while ago but have since forgotten.

Remind me please if you can.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
It was not mine - @wisnon is the proud owner;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing