Looking For The Perfect Listening Chair

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

It would be good perhaps to list what you require from a good listening chair. I did use the same Herman Miller Aeron , i had in my office. I think they now have a model with a headrest. I believe however that the backrest must be narrow enough not to "cup" the head and provide unwanted reflection. The ear have to be free nothing really behind them I also think the chair should be adjustable in height ...

Ao a list of what you are looking for in a listening chair would help us more

Frantz

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi

It would be good perhaps to list what you require from a good listening chair. I did use the same Herman Miller Aeron , i had in my office. I think they now have a model with a headrest. I believe however that the backrest must be narrow enough not to "cup" the head and provide unwanted reflection. The ear have to be free nothing really behind them I also think the chair should be adjustable in height ...

Ao a list of what you are looking for in a listening chair would help us more

Frantz

comfort ,cost and practical along with being stylish

Angela

WBF Technical Expert
May 24, 2010
Conifer, Colorado
Sressless YES and that last FOREVER! they cost a pretty penny but are worth it! We even have one from Roger's dad that is 30 years old along with a newer one purchased about 8 years ago. so nice on the back!
Here is our main listening chair

Randall Smith

May 30, 2010
NC
just got this chair last night for $280. Really comfortable, great support for the back, and incredibly cheap. It was a floor model and had a few flaws, but I couldn't pass it up.

Attachments

• IMG_0444..jpg
    IMG_0444..jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 1,191

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
I'm pretty tall, 6' 2" roughly, and thin, Anything resembling a plump cushion is very UNcomfortable for me; not enough support, anywhere. The kind of chair I'd like is a typical long-haul 1st class airline seat that has VERY hard foam and it's narrow. Recaro makes these, and they cost about $60K each :) for airline purposes.

So is there a Recaro-style chair that's suitable for residential use, rather than in planes or cars? The seat in my Honda Element is somewhat similar; perhaps a trip to the junk yard is in order?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
You guys are all spoiled rotten. I never gave a thought to what chair I sat in to listen to music other than it must support my 6'3" 225 lb frame and keep me from falling on my ass. I have been using director chairs for years. Cheap and I am fine with them. I am happy to have the music pamper me.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Angela-I have worked my butt off my whole life too. I went out today and bought one of the nice chairs. I think it might be one of the same ones you have. I hooked up with some female neuro surgeon today and bought one from her that looked like new. Pictures at 11:00.

Mark

LesAuber

Jun 21, 2010
I'm pretty tall, 6' 2" roughly, and thin, Anything resembling a plump cushion is very UNcomfortable for me; not enough support, anywhere. The kind of chair I'd like is a typical long-haul 1st class airline seat that has VERY hard foam and it's narrow. Recaro makes these, and they cost about $60K each :) for airline purposes.

So is there a Recaro-style chair that's suitable for residential use, rather than in planes or cars? The seat in my Honda Element is somewhat similar; perhaps a trip to the junk yard is in order?

Don't know if they still make them or not but Recaro used to make desk chairs designed like their car seats only with arms and a swivel base. Little cheaper than the airline variety. Perhaps what you're looking for? Don't know about the residential part though.

Angela

WBF Technical Expert
May 24, 2010
Conifer, Colorado
Angela-I have worked my butt off my whole life too. I went out today and bought one of the nice chairs. I think it might be one of the same ones you have. I hooked up with some female neuro surgeon today and bought one from her that looked like new. Pictures at 11:00.

Mark

good for you! life's too short.

On another note, last weekend we went down and hauled off 4 trailer loads of slash from our newest neighbors. We had a bad wind storm in May and they had 14 pine trees uprooted and Roger went over and cut them all down and cut them all into firewood. Each summer our local fire district has slash clean up where you can take it all, so we hauled it all off for them. Fire is our enemy in the Rocky Mountains. In our neck of the woods, everyone is on 5 or 10 acre lots, so the neighbors are not just "next door" or "across the street". Anyway, during this time we found out that they were retired music professors and that they had a baby grand in their living room, I invited them to come over any time to listen to music on Roger's system. They have a son and his wife who both play cello and used to play professionally and they were coming to visit this weekend. So they all came up today to listen and they had recordings of them playing (and they are really really good) and anyway, it was a wonderful time and before they left, they bought a complete system. That was not the intent of the time up here. It was really just to share and give them something unusual to do for one of the days they were here. Roger was able to pull out a lot of the recordings he had personally recorded of symphonies and we put it on full blast on the 10c system. The most wonderful moment for me was listening to The Symphony No. 2 (by Gustav Mahler) known as the Resurrection, but this symphony orchestra was comprised of 116 plus pipe organ plus soloist plus 500 voice chorus. It was pretty freakin' amazing.It was a nice way to spend a Saturday.

Angela

WBF Technical Expert
May 24, 2010
Conifer, Colorado
My favorite quote from yesterday was from the son's wife who turned to look at all of us and say "this is what I think I sound like when I am playing". They make really good recordings and have listened to them on all kinds of systems, only to be disappointed. Their faces were so alive listening, it was a joy to just watch them. When their dad (a retired professor and chairman of music education at Miami University), was wiping tears while listening to an aria from a Puccini opera, it was clear that is was really like being at the performance. It was a wonderful experience to have folks that understand and appreciate music from the "other side" of it (from playing) here and witness their reaction to hearing it.

sorry for jacking the thread. . . but it was too wonderful not to share

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Here are some pictures of my new chair

I have to say I love my "new" chair and wonder how I got along with out it before. This is a super comfortable chair that seems to be just right for me. I sit a little lower than I used to and I think it sounds better as a result.

Attachments

• DSC02551..JPG
    DSC02551..JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 1,056
  • DSC02553..JPG
    DSC02553..JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 1,060
  • DSC02552..JPG
    DSC02552..JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 1,047
  • DSC02550..JPG
    DSC02550..JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 1,044

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That's the chair I am sitting in. Except I also got the side table so that I could use my laptop with it typing this message. It is in our living room though. I have had ours for 2 years now. Alas, it took 5 months to get it as we wanted it to match the sofa and the color we picked had to come from Ekornes factory in Europe. They only stock a couple of colors locally in NJ and the rest have such a long lead time.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing