First listen to WAMM from TAS

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Thanks for posting this review. Harley way quite impressed. I wonder if this time alignment feature will trickle down the line and reach the smaller 3-way speakers. If this is indeed the key to the seamless, convincing, and palpable presentation, then I would think other speakers would benefit from the technology.

I'm fascinated that David Wilson's listening room has such minimal acoustic treatment, and yet, the reviewers who have heard this so far, have all remarked about how much Presence and believability this system has. I have to say that I am impressed with the roll out, marketing campaign and early reports of the sound. Wilson knows how to get the message out. Very well done, IMO.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Thanks for posting this review. Harley way quite impressed. I wonder if this time alignment feature will trickle down the line and reach the smaller 3-way speakers.

Time alignment is ....time alignment

It can be achieved electronically or Mechanically

I leave u to guess which implementation is more cost effective and flexible ?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Just curious ,does Wilson own any patents?

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014

slcaudiophile

Nov 6, 2014
Um ... SLC?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
For the cost of this speaker, I and 643 of my closest friends could attend a lot of live concerts.:D

I do get this concept of building a "reference" cost be darned speaker but I don't get it either. I get it because I'm sure it was fun for Dave to do it. But as another poster suggested, why not take Dave's 30 or 40 years of experience of designing and building loudspeakers and see what he can create that mere humans could afford. And I'm not talking about a $10,000 plus loudspeaker. If he has any interest in bringing new folks into the world of more accurately reproduced music (he clearly does not), that would be a great boon to the industry rather than to just his pockets and pride.

No need to respond to that as I already know the answer, but I must confess I really do find it troubling.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I just don't understand the criticisms for building this speaker, or criticism of the cost. If someone is as passionate about reproducing music as Dave Wilson who has kept his passion alive for decades, why criticise him for working (for years) on his very best effort, combining all he has learned, with the latest measurement and reproduction technologies toward achieving what audiophiles all claim to want—the sound of live music in your room?

In my opinion, these kinds of criticisms come from folks who have never known the joy of being totally immersed in solving a problem or being completely consumed by the creative process. Do you criticise the great composers for writing their greatest symphonies? Do you criticise Ferarri or Lamborgini? Would you have been critical of Michaelangelo?

While a WAMM may not be the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, with respect to the manifestation of passion and creativity of the individual I cannot judge one as greater than the other.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
For the cost of this speaker, I and 643 of my closest friends could attend a lot of live concerts.:D

I do get this concept of building a "reference" cost be darned speaker but I don't get it either. I get it because I'm sure it was fun for Dave to do it. But as another poster suggested, why not take Dave's 30 or 40 years of experience of designing and building loudspeakers and see what he can create that mere humans could afford. And I'm not talking about a $10,000 plus loudspeaker. If he has any interest in bringing new folks into the world of more accurately reproduced music (he clearly does not), that would be a great boon to the industry rather than to just his pockets and pride.

No need to respond to that as I already know the answer, but I must confess I really do find it troubling.

I am well past worrying about the price of products that "mere" humans can afford. I don't get pissed at Ferrari or Porsche because not everyone can purchase the La Ferrari or a 918. I don't lust after the top of the line Patek Philippe or Vacheron Constantin. I don't have to order Sassicaia, Tignanello or Ornellaia to enjoy wine. Not every company has to offer entry level products. There are plenty of products and lifestyles that I could never justify, that doesn't mean someone or some company shouldn't offer them. For the few individuals who will want these speakers it is not a either/or consideration. They will buy the WAMM and anything else they want too.

No one has to own Wilson, MBL, Magico or ........... They have plenty of other fine options to fit their needs.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I just don't understand the criticisms for building this speaker, or criticism of the cost. If someone is as passionate about reproducing music as Dave Wilson who has kept his passion alive for decades, why criticise him for working (for years) on his very best effort, combining all he has learned, with the latest measurement and reproduction technologies toward achieving what audiophiles all claim to want—the sound of live music in your room?

In my opinion, these kinds of criticisms come from folks who have never known the joy of being totally immersed in solving a problem or being completely consumed by the creative process. Do you criticise the great composers for writing their greatest symphonies? Do you criticise Ferarri or Lamborgini? Would you have been critical of Michaelangelo?

While a WAMM may not be the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, with respect to the manifestation of passion and creativity of the individual I cannot judge one as greater than the other.

I am well past worrying about the price of products that "mere" humans can afford. I don't get pissed at Ferrari or Porsche because not everyone can purchase the La Ferrari or a 918. I don't lust after the top of the line Patek Philippe or Vacheron Constantin. I don't have to order Sassicaia, Tignanello or Ornellaia to enjoy wine. Not every company has to offer entry level products. There are plenty of products and lifestyles that I could never justify, that doesn't mean someone or some company shouldn't offer them. For the few individuals who will want these speakers it is not a either/or consideration. They will buy the WAMM and anything else they want too.

No one has to own Wilson, MBL, Magico or ........... They have plenty of other fine options to fit their needs.

I agree

Only 70 pair will ever be made and if someone is able to afford these speakers then why not??? I have owned Wilson speakers since 1994 and have followed Dave Wilson's contributions to high end audio. There aren't many men in the industry who even come close to him

I would love to own a pair of these but us mere mortals can only hope for trickle down technology to show up in future Wilson speakers

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
I agree

Only 70 pair will ever be made and if someone is able to afford these speakers then why not??? I have owned Wilson speakers since 1994 and have followed Dave Wilson's contributions to high end audio. There aren't many men in the industry who even come close to him

I would love to own a pair of these but us mere mortals can only hope for trickle down technology to show up in future Wilson speakers

Which looks like the direction that Wilson is headed in now that Dave Wilson has handed over the company to Daryl Wilson. The Alexx is the first of the "trickle down" speakers with it's woofers from the WAMM. I have to admit your system from what I have heard is blissful in it's own way? I still remember what Bill Peugh told me when he had stopped by for a quick visit. The Wilson family of speakers all sound great but the WAMM is the "reference" now.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Audioguy , Wilsons arent made from mdf and the fit and finish is exemplary so a wilson under 10 K is not gonna happen , you have dealer/distributor mark up international transport , whatever , why not buy a secondhand WP 7 , latest is nt always the greatest .;)

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Audioguy , Wilsons arent made from mdf and the fit and finish is exemplary so a wilson under 10 K is not gonna happen , you have dealer/distributor mark up international transport , whatever , why not buy a secondhand WP 7 , latest is nt always the greatest .;)

As I noted in my original post, I really do know why he built it and I have no illusions of Wilson Audio actually changing their business model to cater to the much lower end market.

I would love to hear what a $700,000 speaker in the right room sounds like ........ or maybe I wouldn't !!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Well-stated, Bob!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing