Cable differences: a simple experiment

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I have been pondering audio experiments to clear some light on some controversies

although whether one cable is "better" than another is a qualitative issue

whether they are different is another matter

The "null" hypothesis is they are no different

Thus the first step is to demonstrate is there is any difference

As with the recent detection of Gravitational waves: demonstrating "loss of cancellation" of two 'waves' is a simple way of demonstrating if differences exist

In my experiment: to audio signals identical but out of phase 180 would be run down opposing cables and then combined

In the null hypothesis they should cancel each other.

As in reality the inversion process is probably imperfect, the cables could be reversed and the differences themselves matched out of phase

I have read someone doing this in the digital domain

I would appreciate if anyone has read of this being done with analog signals

Regards

Andrew

RayDunzl

Jun 26, 2014
Tampa
I thought about your test for a minute.

When I got to "I would appreciate if anyone has read of this being done with analog signals" I realized that I have done this with speakers.

The result is far from null, which, this time, made me go "Hmmm..."

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia

When I got to "I would appreciate if anyone has read of this being done with analog signals" I realized that I have done this with speakers.

Unfortunately, speakers are far too inaccurate for such an experiment in general, due to differences between each speaker, you would be measuring the difference between the right and left speaker. HFN publish right left speaker differences and even anechoic they vary a lot, in a room even more

I am not forming a view on what such an experiment will show, just its the first step in understanding whats going on.....

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

Do you mean you connected the speakers to the amplifiers out of phase. . . and then listened to them?

You will get lower frequency note cancellation, but in the room, the overall sound is far from cancelled out.

That will give a very different result from watching two out of phase signals combine or cancel on an oscilloscope.

RayDunzl

Jun 26, 2014
Tampa
It's just that I hadn't thought about about the act of setting speakers out of phase in this way before.

It occurs to me the direct sound should disappear, and leave only the less well-behaved reflections.

I do understand the Post 1 proposal.

---

I think I'll make some out-of-phase in-room stereo speaker tests for grins.

Last edited:

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I have 6 "identical" speakers (GoldenEar Triton 1) in my theater. Besides the obvious bass differences due to room placement, there are also small, but noticeable differences in upper frequencies as well. Some of this may be due to quality control, but I suspect it's more due to position.

A tactic often employed to adjust subwoofer phase to match the speaker it supports is via use of inversion/cancellation, where a test tone at the crossover frequency is played and the speaker +/- wiring reversed. Perfect adjustment of the subwoofer phase theoretically leaves dead silence (perfect inversion/cancellation), but rarely happens in reality.

The test with wires alone certainly poses less obstacles....

Lee

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Seems like a clever new approach to testing cables for differences :). The trick would be the phase inverter. It would need to produce zero delay. And of course provide that perfect inversion.

Laser Interferometry works on principles of the two split beams becoming different and the resulting mixing/intermodulation of the two. It doesn't use cancellation of waves. If there is no difference between the waves they combine perfectly, if not, they combine based on theory of superposition. We can then work backward to extract what happened.

At waveform level cables will cause differences. I ran simulations showing phase shifts in cables which is a function of their electrical parameters. So they don't null out at the level that laser Interferometry is used.

Thinking out loud, you can use a scope and invert one of the channels and then sum the two. It should be easy enough test to run if there is interest.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I have 6 "identical" speakers (GoldenEar Triton 1) in my theater. Besides the obvious bass differences due to room placement, there are also small, but noticeable differences in upper frequencies as well. Some of this may be due to quality control, but I suspect it's more due to position.

A tactic often employed to adjust subwoofer phase to match the speaker it supports is via use of inversion/cancellation, where a test tone at the crossover frequency is played and the speaker +/- wiring reversed. Perfect adjustment of the subwoofer phase theoretically leaves dead silence (perfect inversion/cancellation), but rarely happens in reality.

The test with wires alone certainly poses less obstacles....

Lee

I'm sure most of the difference is due to some of the speakers being in different locations and your earlobes capturing different sounds in front, along side and behind you.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Seems like a clever new approach to testing cables for differences :). The trick would be the phase inverter. It would need to produce zero delay. And of course provide that perfect inversion.

Laser Interferometry works on principles of the two split beams becoming different and the resulting mixing/intermodulation of the two. It doesn't use cancellation of waves. If there is no difference between the waves they combine perfectly, if not, they combine based on theory of superposition. We can then work backward to extract what happened.

At waveform level cables will cause differences. I ran simulations showing phase shifts in cables which is a function of their electrical parameters. So they don't null out at the level that laser Interferometry is used.

Thinking out loud, you can use a scope and invert one of the channels and then sum the two. It should be easy enough test to run if there is interest.

Sorry I deliberately simplified the laser interferometry, though it does in some ways involve wave cancellation

I am not in the slightest suggesting there will be no difference

I think Amir it would be interested to see your modelling from electrical characteristics of cabling, especially if these were aligned with known real cable parameters

Then real tests could be run to see how close to modelling

This could then form the basis, of how these differences may influence perception

One of the frustrating aspect of many of the cable arguments is there seems little data to base any conclusions

As to dynamic range, this may be why the tester used digital analysis, as by multiple runs, you effectively increase dynamic range

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
With power cords we are just moving electrons, how do you cancel out an electron?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
With power cords we are just moving electrons, how do you cancel out an electron?
You could resort to a technique like this:

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks Kevin. Looks like he performed OP's tests already:

"In-Out difference. Actually, two different cables of equal length were fed the above distortion test signals in opposite phase. The two outputs were summed through a trimmable network to null the output. Well, the output nulled completely (better than 120dB across the audio band)."

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing