Ron's Speaker, Turntable, Power and Room Treatment Upgrades

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
If you have thick carpet under the seating area, the wheels won't move unless you are purposely moving the chair, and i dance around in my chair quite a bit !

Don't hurt yourself!

I will have thin carpet on the rear 2/3 of the listening room floor.

Reactions: Lagonda

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(....) The only problem I have with falling asleep while listening is you need an auto-lift for the tonearm.

Then you should get a TechDas AF1P - after 35 minutes untouched it stops spinning!

Reactions: shakti

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
That is a nice feature, doesit have on/off for it? Hot flippers may find that annoying.

Yes, we can turn it off. It is only disturbing if you suspend the playback during a few tens of minutes just lifting the tonearm and then resume playing without touching the turntable controls - it can stop suddenly while playing a track. It happened to me and I was perplexed - yes, I know we should read manuals before using and it is clearly stated there!

Reactions: Folsom

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I made a third visit today to a Relax-the-Back store.

I was able to replicate on the Lifeform Mid-Back Executive Chair with stretchy fabric upholstery (photo in Post #2168) the "butt wedge" which seems to suit me so comfortably on the Ekornes Stressless recliner. That Lifeform chair really is very flexible in its adjustability.

If I can sell my Ekornes recliner then the Lifeform is definitely my winner for my New Listening Chair Competition.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I sold my Ekornes Stressless recliner yesterday on OfferUp. :confused:

AD568EAA-1129-4D7A-9CFF-3DFA5BA688D8.jpeg

Reactions: Lagonda and Folsom

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ron...Tinka has finally taught you Yoga.
Now.....breathe.....

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It took me a long time to decipher exactly why I personally found the Ekornes Stesess recliner so incredibly comfortable. That chair, for me, to use MikeL's criterion, is a 12 hour chair. I figured out that it's the way my backside kind of gets wedged in there somehow without any pressure on my tailbone.

So I made a fourth visit to a Relax-the-Back today to test out my theory. I spent a long time comparing a Lifeform chair with the Euroglide mechanism, which is similar to the Humanscale Freedom chair mechanism, to the standard Lifeform mechanism. Even though I like very much the Freedom chair mechanism, and the Lifeform Euroglide pretty much replicates that balanced mechanism and feeling, I was able to replicate on the standard mechanism Lifeform chair the wedged-in sensation of the Ekornes.

So the search is over. At some point I will order the Lifeform mid-back height chair with standard mechanism in fabric upholstery. (The leather looks better but the fabric upholstery allows one to better experience the cushy-ness of the underlying memory foam.)

Auditioning chairs is, for me, a lot more fun than comparing the sounds of different connectors.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I contacted ERA to see if the company can make the very comfy-looking Newport chair in a mid-back height model (Post #2,160). The answer is no.

The leading chair candidate for me at the moment is the Lifeform mid-back height model with fabric upholstery (which allows one to sink into the memory foam in a more cushy way then does the leather or fake leather upholstery).

View attachment 71250

Congratulations on finding the chair you want. I'm quite curious about the wheels. Can the wheels lock or does one need to use their body to keep the chair from moving? Did you set out looking for a wheeled chair or you found a chair you like and it happened to have wheels?

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Congratulations on finding the chair you want. I'm quite curious about the wheels. Can the wheels lock or does one need to use their body to keep the chair from moving? Did you set out looking for a wheeled chair or you found a chair you like and it happened to have wheels?
Those are (apologies in advance) wheeley good questions Tim... Ron I’d think that a fixed chair (or low long lounge) offers also a potentially better outcome. Finding the ideal sweet spot is a fairly long process, and an easily moveable chair would maybe require putting tape marks on the floor.

Also then in terms of scale a single chair setup often looks (for me) a bit under scale and feel a bit underweighted and disproportionate in terms of the visual mass of the rest of the room. Something more substantial visually can feel better balanced relative to the mass of the speakers and gear in terms of balance, form and fit in the overall room design.

A lovely, long low L shaped lounge in the Minnoti spirit is really nice from a design perspective.

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Those are (apologies in advance) wheeley good questions Tim... Ron I’d think that a fixed chair (or low long lounge) offers also a potentially better outcome. Finding the ideal sweet spot is a fairly long process, and an easily moveable chair would maybe require putting tape marks on the floor.

Also then in terms of scale a single chair setup often looks (for me) a bit under scale and feel a bit underweighted and disproportionate in terms of the visual mass of the rest of the room. Something more substantial visually can feel better balanced relative to the mass of the speakers and gear in terms of balance, form and fit in the overall room design.

Don't disagree with your thoughts.

Figuring the choice of a personal listening chair is intimate, I wanted to hear Ron's view without my own, so my question was not meant to be leading or a critique.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

I would order the Lifeform chair with flat feet -- no wheels of any kind.

I prefer that the chair stays planted in place.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I would order the Lifeform chair with flat feet -- no wheels of any kind.

I prefer that the chair stays planted in place.

Have you thought about adding spikes below?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
My GF accuses us of arsing about...this discussion is proof positive.

Reactions: Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
My GF accuses us of arsing about...this discussion is proof positive.
Yes buying the fourth copy of a album you already own, or trying out a fifth TT motor could be classified that way :rolleyes:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing