Best turntables at $15K: TW Acustic Raven vs. AMG Viella vs. ???? Anyone compare?

caesar

May 30, 2010
What are the best turntables at $15K? I am thinking that TW Acustic Raven and AMG are hard to beat at this price point. Anyone compare them?

Any other table belongs in the list of the best at $15K?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Sme 20/3 and Kuzma reference 2

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I would add the new Sparta .5 to this list.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
The AMG is more like $17k...

At that price point, a Kuzma Ref II with 4Point tonearm will kill it. Not because the AMG isn't worthy, it's the Kuzma that punches way above its price.

Only using things I've heard or had experience here, for comparison... Agree that the new Kronos Sparta 0.5 would probably be a good fit here, but I haven't heard it yet, and it's $15k sans tonearm.

alexandre

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I will sell a mint SME 30/12 with V12 arm in the original wood crate for $17k. Beat that!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I better go hide the checkbook...... Repeating to myself "be happy with the ovation and new Benz cart you just had mounted."

You're close too Jimmy. You can come over and pick it up today. It's all crated up and waiting for you.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Oracle Delphi Mk VI - about $11,000 sans tonearm.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I will sell a mint SME 30/12 with V12 arm in the original wood crate for $17k. Beat that!

This is a fantastic opportunity for someone interested in near SOTA analog. At this price, it represents a very good value. I'd be very curious to see if anyone has a suggestion of what could be better for $17K. The only thing I would add is additional vibration isolation for $2-3K. The right cartridge and you're done. Of course, I'm a bit biased.

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Lot's of different options out there. One way to go is an older rehabbed table with a new SOTA arm;

At that price point I'd go with something like an SP-10, Garrard 301/401 etc in a good plinth. Then put a very good arm on it i.e. a Schroder LT etc.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Go Left Field - Trans Fi Audio Salvation direct rim drive tt w/magnetically isolated platter/feet w/Trans Fi Audio Terminator T3Pro air bearing linear tracking tonearm $5k, Spiers and Robertson air rolling diaphragm isolation shelf $4k, Soundsmith Straingauge SG200 cartridge (no need for phono stage) $8k - $17k will get you a veritable giant killer complete analog front end.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone interested in near SOTA analog. At this price, it represents a very good value. I'd be very curious to see if anyone has a suggestion of what could be better for $17K. The only thing I would add is additional vibration isolation for $2-3K. The right cartridge and you're done. Of course, I'm a bit biased.

I fully agree. This is one of the best table/arm combos in the world IMO and that price is a screaming deal.

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
I'm representing AMG and TW Acustic in Sweden. Both belongs to a modern wave of SOTA turntable manufacturers. Please contact me directly if you like for suggestions: marcus@perfect-sense.se

Hi, I am quite keen on the AMG and have heard it extensively at the Munich High End in last few days. Your views will be very helpful for someone like me who is just about embarking on the analog journey. I have sent you a separate email in this regard.

Thanks

Sujay

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
Hi, I am quite keen on the AMG and have heard it extensively at the Munich High End in last few days. Your views will be very helpful for someone like me who is just about embarking on the analog journey. I have sent you a separate email in this regard.

Thanks

Sujay

Sujay, I'm still at the show. I'll give you my thoughts in a day or two.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing