The Gospel according to Andrew Lloyd Webber

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
The sonics are excellent. For instance, on side 3, first cut, "The Last Supper", near the end, the twelve disciples leave the table and exit to the right singing in unison. Then they turn, moving further back on stage and loop around to the far left, still singing. It is an incredible spacial effect which is slightly more pronounced and clear in the gatefold and I don't even remember ever hearing it on the US Brown cover version, but I would have to check to make sure as my system has improved since I listened to that version.

Al, do you hear this on your CD?

Peter, I'll listen for that tomorrow, when I fire up my system again (not tonight).

I also thought about your earlier comment about some of the chorus being difficult to understand.

I don't remember having made such a comment (?).

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
The Lloyd Webber and Time Rice compositions and shows are great.
I never saw Jesus Christ Superstar

I saw it in Ann Arbor, Michigan with a local group. Excellent, and an unforgettable experience.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
The sonics are excellent. For instance, on side 3, first cut, "The Last Supper", near the end, the twelve disciples leave the table and exit to the right singing in unison. Then they turn, moving further back on stage and loop around to the far left, still singing. It is an incredible spacial effect which is slightly more pronounced and clear in the gatefold and I don't even remember ever hearing it on the US Brown cover version, but I would have to check to make sure as my system has improved since I listened to that version.

Al, do you hear this on your CD?

O.k., I listened today. Yes, I hear that with great ease, it's very obvious. However, I don't think it's well done sonically. It's with lots of artificial reverb, and the reverb starts way too early, before the actual move to the back of the stage; that movement is indeed a pronounced effect, however.

I have a few Stockhausen CDs where that effect of performers leaving the stage is done much more naturally and convincingly. The movement on these CDs usually is also even further back than on the 'Superstar' recording. I'll have you listen to some of these next time.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I thought you commented in your post #11 about the vocals being easy to understand, but not always. I just reread it and you wrote "essy" not "easy". My mistake.

And my mistake was that I used the term 'essy' instead of a more technical one. I hoped that it would be understood in the context of my mentioning de-essing of LP recordings (which is a standard technical term), but that mention came up only a few lines later in the posted text. My apologies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing