National 6dj8's made in Holland

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
Anyone familiar with National 6dj8's made in Holland? Sound? Similar to? I am familiar with National 6922's made in Japan.

National was a rebrander. Just because it says "made in Holland" on the tube is no guarentee that it was. Can you see any etched codes in the glass near the bottom? This will tell you who made the tube and when. Look for the delta triangle symbol that denotes Amperex's Holland production.
Amperex made two main types of 6dj8s, the earlier "bugle boy " style with a riser, and the later "A-frame" type orange globe logo. Both are pretty good sounding tubes. Can you post a picture?

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
They haven't arrived yet, but when they do I will post an image. I hope they're not total junk since I had to buy a whole lot to get a few.

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
Not 100% sure but I do not believe they are Amperex/Holland tubes. There is no date codes, and the structure of the tube does not have a riser or A frame below the getter. Not sure what they are but my best guess would be Tungsram or Tesla. How do they sound?
To do your own research, check out tubemongerlib.com or Tube-classics.com.
Enjoy the roll!

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
I'll try the sites you mentioned and see what I can find. I have a pair in my PH7. So far they sound pretty decent. For less than $8/ea. a deal.
I have a pair of Tesla's and I'll have to do another comparison.

BenjaminB

Sep 25, 2014
The tubes you posted are exactly the same as the Matsushitas sold by Andy of Vintage Tube Services. He describes them to be warm sounding like Mullard tubes. Hope this helps.

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
Yeah, I have some others just like them which are my fav. warmest tubes I have tubes. Hence, I took the chance. They are perfect for what I need them for. These turned out to be much less warm, and unfortunately not suited for my needs as much as I hoped for. I may give them another try since my LP-S has really seemed to hit it stride after 300 hrs. The LP-S forced to take a new look at my analog chain and I have started the journey towards a more neutral sound.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing