!!!AHA!!!

Jim Smith

Industry Expert
Dec 14, 2012
AHA!!!

As I've worked with waaay over a thousand clients, I've kept this observation to myself for many years, but didn't doubt it as much as I wondered how it could be. Was I simply lucky as I met these particular folks?

The thing I noticed was that they were generally brighter - seemingly more alive - on top of various topics -
than most of the people I met in other groups.

This morning, I came across this article in Newsmax magazine. I've edited it to make it shorter:

Music Improves Brain Function

Studies over the past decade have shown that music programs can improve memory and overall brain function...

As a result, the National Institutes of Health has developed a (musical) toolkit to help researchers study and design programs that can be widely used to improve brain health.

Earlier this year, a Swiss study found that learning to play an instrument, or actively listening to music - trying to identify various instruments - improved mental function and increases gray matter in the brains of Seniors. And in Finland, a study of stroke survivors found that a singing program helped them recover the ability to speak.

A coincidence that the music loving/listening folks that I've met seemed to be a bit sharper in general? Nope, they simply are... :)

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Very interesting indeed. I used to listen to music while studying for my exams and my friends just could not understand this! Thanks for sharing.

I don't understand this either. When I need to concentrate, like at work, I cannot listen to music. And I could never have studied while music was playing.

When listening to music I try to fully focus my mind on it, that's how it helps me staying sharp. I can listen to music while walking, for example, because walking doesn't take much concentration.

Music as background in the car is fine as well, but then often I don't really listen closely, and driving only takes a certain amount of concentration.

Republicoftexas69

I have music on all day in my office in the background (classical or jazz).

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
With the internet and easy access to info, I discovered so many people in the hobby are in STEM or they're attorneys, c-suite executives, etc. I know because I've been selling gear for over two decades and with hundreds of deals done on AG and elsewhere. I've found them on LinkedIn and the like based on their shipping address, unique name, etc. You can almost draw a straight line between interest in high-end audio and their vocation—its highly predictable

Reactions: Long Live Analog

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
There is a report in today's Sunday Times about Tony Christie who many years ago had the big global hit with "Is this the way to Amarillo" who was diagnosed with dementia a couple of years ago.His self prescribed treatment was writing one album, re-recording another - in Nashville -planning a third and setting out on a tour of the UK, Europe,New Zealand, Australia, Japan and Canada.
His son says when he walks on the stage he loses 20 years of his now 80 years.
Universal Music and charity called The National Academy for Social Prescribing have produced a report and there is a web site called Music Can with all sorts of help and advice.
I am sure music does help.
When I get up in the morning I switch on BBC Radio 3 on my system which includes a Magnum Dynalab 109 FM tuner upgraded with NOS valves and I have found it very beneficial and therapeutic.
Happily, I am not a sufferer myself, but I am sure listening to music has a lot to with it.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
There is a report in today's Sunday Times about Tony Christie who many years ago had the big global hit with "Is this the way to Amarillo" who was diagnosed with dementia a couple of years ago.His self prescribed treatment was writing one album, re-recording another - in Nashville -planning a third and setting out on a tour of the UK, Europe,New Zealand, Australia, Japan and Canada.
His son says when he walks on the stage he loses 20 years of his now 80 years.
Universal Music and charity called The National Academy for Social Prescribing have produced a report and there is a web site called Music Can with all sorts of help and advice.
I am sure music does help.
When I get up in the morning I switch on BBC Radio 3 on my system which includes a Magnum Dynalab 109 FM tuner upgraded with NOS valves and I have found it very beneficial and therapeutic.
Happily, I am not a sufferer myself, but I am sure listening to music has a lot to with it.

Or as Tom Petty would say, "never slow down, never grow old."

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

As I've worked with waaay over a thousand clients, I've kept this observation to myself for many years,
but didn't doubt it as much as I wondered how it could be. Was I simply lucky as I met these particular folks?

The thing I noticed was that they were generally brighter - seemingly more alive - on top of various topics -

So you also work with non-audiophiles?

• Haha
Reactions: dcathro

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Interesting...since I was 10, I always had music on when working...I played Bach Brandenburg Concerto 3 final movement on infinite replay (remember when you had to rewind the tape?) for hours...and Floyd, and Bruce, etc...

...and I still do.

Interestingly, I CANNOT play music when running...I feel like I am missing out on the sounds around me, the people or focusing on my pace, etc...

And most interestingly, if the system is OFF-kilter (lost a grounding cable, etc), it absolutely kills my ability to focus on work...when the system is normal, it is just flow, and it keeps going from there...18-20+ hours straight til 4am, not a problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: ashandger

DDgtt

May 1, 2023

Finally!!!

As I've worked with waaay over a thousand clients, I've kept this observation to myself for many years,
but didn't doubt it as much as I wondered how it could be. Was I simply lucky as I met these particular folks?

This morning, I came across this article in Newsmax magazine. I've edited it to make it shorter:

A coincidence that the music loving/listening folks that I've met seemed to be a bit sharper in general? Nope, they simply are... :)
Well said Jim! Music programs in schools have suffered for a number of years now. There's so much evidence to substantiate that there's no substitute for music, whether playing an instrument or listening deeply, when it comes to the cognitive health of mankind. Plus, there's nothing that stirs the soul more deeply than the beauty of music. One of the finest things that life has to offer!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing