New music room

Ivory

Aug 11, 2011
Hello everyone,
I have been following this forum for a long time, and I have learned a lot, but certainly not enough to design my new music room on my own. I would like to ask for suggestions and recommendations from all the experts that regularly frequent this forum.
I’m restructuring my house and building a dedicated 2 channel music room where I may later add a second 5+1 system .
At this moment, I’m still working on the main structure, but it’s time to study the final project.
The room is not perfectly symmetrical, the average size is 7.0m wide, 9.5m long and 3.6 to 6.1m high. On the long side, there is a gallery that goes into the wide side for 2.5m at a height of 2.9m from the floor.
The drawings will make the room shape more clear and shows also the external openings.
The walls are made with bricks and are 60cm thick. The short wall with three windows may have exposed bricks (how do exposed brick walls work acoustically?), while the long wall with the three windows has an additional insulation of 8cm + 2.5cm of dry wall the rest is flat wall, all to be furnished.
The ceiling has 8 long metal beams and exposed wood, as well as under the gallery.
My speakers are Quad 2905 (C,D) and two subwoofers (A,B) SVS PC13 Ultra, used as low speakers digitally crossed at 85 Hz with a Trinnov that I also use for room correction.
I’m trying to figure out where to place the speakers and the listening position and what kind of room treatment may be necessary.
On the drawings there are two possible positions based on my previous placement.
luigi 1 Model (1)-02.jpg luigi 1 Model (1)-03mod.jpg luigi 1 Model (1)-01.jpg
Vista06-1 06-08-2013.jpg

3d rendering of the gallery

The first solution is more symmetrical, there is more space on the sides of the speakers, the space above the speakers are the same, but there is less space in the back of the listening position which is below the gallery.
The second solution is preferable because aesthetically it is nicer, and there is more space in the back of the listening position, but in order to place the speakers parallel to the front wall, the other walls will be asymmetrical compared to the speakers, plus the left speaker will remain under the gallery.
Of course I will perform measurement and listening tests when the room will be almost finished, but I would like to foresee as much as possible while I can still make changes.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you may give me. Any comments will be appreciated.

P.S. Sorry for my English.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
The most important thing about rooms that was told to me by Bob Hodas and other acousticians is "symmetry". If you don't start with that, then I feel everything else is just a band-aid.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I don't understand the comment. Are you saying a symmetrical room is acoustically better than a non-symmetrical room?

The most important thing about rooms that was told to me by Bob Hodas and other acousticians is "symmetry". If you don't start with that, then I feel everything else is just a band-aid.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Bilaterally symmetrical is what I think Bruce meant to say. I would agree except if listening near field in the strictest sense in which case it wouldn't matter much at all.

Looking at the plans, it looks like the room will have very long reverberations. The first thing I would do is figure out what to use to treat the ceilings. All of them. Positioning of the windows will lend to the use of heavy drapes. Looks enough for a good percentile coverage.

If the plans were set in stone I would go long wall (first option). Sidewalls are far enough. In option two the top right corner looks worrisome. It looks like it will load up heavily on the LF.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Although I consider lateral symmetry very important in narrow rooms - say less than 16 feet wide, I feel that in large rooms as shown the absolute symmetry is not mandatory - I have listened to excellent sound in several large non symmetrical rooms

As my room does not apply to the class of very wide rooms I have recently demolished part of a lateral wall to make the room symmetrical. One aspect that was immediately evident was that the sweet spot became much wider and listener position much less critical..

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Symmetrical rooms provide much better reflective sound as well as they are much better to calculate for room acoustics.

Ivory

Aug 11, 2011
Bilaterally symmetrical is what I think Bruce meant to say. I would agree except if listening near field in the strictest sense in which case it wouldn't matter much at all.

Looking at the plans, it looks like the room will have very long reverberations. The first thing I would do is figure out what to use to treat the ceilings. All of them. Positioning of the windows will lend to the use of heavy drapes. Looks enough for a good percentile coverage.

If the plans were set in stone I would go long wall (first option). Sidewalls are far enough. In option two the top right corner looks worrisome. It looks like it will load up heavily on the LF.

Thanks for everybody’s comments.
The symmetry has always been a big concern for me mainly for the stereo image, but in my previous room, which was very similar to the new one, but smaller, I was able to have a very good result placing the speakers parallel to the front wall and equidistant, at the speaker level, from the side walls (they were not perfectly parallel). The positioning was similar to the proposed second solution.
I believe that the limited lateral and vertical dispersion of my Quad make the lateral wall and ceiling reflections less dangerous. The new room is also bigger and side reflection asymmetry should be even less evident (I hope).
The first solution looks more symmetrical, but I’m worried about the limited space behind the listening position. Maybe the right corner LF load up in option two, can be limited experimenting with the two subwoofer positioning and some bass traps before the Trinnov correction.
Regarding the speaker positioning, I'm open to any other suggestion.
In order to have a better vertical symmetry I was thinking to use some suspended acoustic panel at the same level of the gallery that could help with the reverberation too.
For the ceiling and under the gallery I’m considering something like the TopAkustik panels, what kind of absorption level and frequency characteristic should I look for, and what should be the surface coverage? I’m worried that if I cover all the ceilings with the panels and I normally furnish the room, then it will sound too dead.
Regarding the windows (there are 7), I was planning for some thick curtains, especially behind the speakers.
As in my previous room, I was also planning to use some diffusor panels behind the speakers and on the first side reflections.

What do you think? I’m excited about this project, but still very perplexed as I have lots of doubts. I need all the help I can get. Thanks again for your contribution.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Looks doable Ivory. For the ceilings (between beams) my instinct would be to go for industrial/commercial solutions like that you would find in a modern airport terminal or sports complex in lieu of gypsum, marine ply or whatever you were planning to cover your insulation with. I wouldn't be looking at very wide bandwidth absorption at first. If you need more broadband or tuned absorption (which is still likely) that can be strategically added later with the clouds you are planning. This would kill the view from the gallery however. I'm pretty sure treating just the ceilings with what I've mentioned is not enough to make the room dead. It will however make the job easier going forward while maintaining aesthetics.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I believe that the limited lateral and vertical dispersion of my Quad make the lateral wall and ceiling reflections less dangerous. The new room is also bigger and side reflection asymmetry should be even less evident (I hope). (...)

I missed the part about the 2905 in your first post. You are correct, the 2905 are much more insensitive to lateral reflections than typical box speakers. When John Atkinson listened to the ESL63 first time in the Quad factory, they were placed in an awkward configuration - one over the bench and the other on a tall chair and he reported the best stereo imaging he had ever experienced!

Your room dimensions are close to those of the room of the late SME founder Alastair Robertson-Aikman who used modified ESL63 - but he listened very far from them. (square = 1 feet x 1 feet)

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 335

Ivory

Aug 11, 2011
Looks doable Ivory. For the ceilings (between beams) my instinct would be to go for industrial/commercial solutions like that you would find in a modern airport terminal or sports complex in lieu of gypsum, marine ply or whatever you were planning to cover your insulation with. I wouldn't be looking at very wide bandwidth absorption at first. If you need more broadband or tuned absorption (which is still likely) that can be strategically added later with the clouds you are planning. This would kill the view from the gallery however. I'm pretty sure treating just the ceilings with what I've mentioned is not enough to make the room dead. It will however make the job easier going forward while maintaining aesthetics.

Thank you Jack D. Following your suggestion, I'm first concentrating on choosing the right absorption material for the ceilings, trying to combine the best acoustic result with the aesthetics and the cost.
I found a useful link: threedB.com that provide a RT60 calculator and a large database of material and acoustic solutions. I don't know how calculations may correspond with the reality since it is difficult to stay with the RT60 under 0.5s. Probably, the normal furnishing will do the rest.
It seems that 3 inch of fiberglass board on the ceiling and under the gallery, give a good result, but I need to find an aesthetic solution.
I thought that moving to a larger room would have been better and make life easier, but I'm not so certain anymore....

Ivory

Aug 11, 2011
I missed the part about the 2905 in your first post. You are correct, the 2905 are much more insensitive to lateral reflections than typical box speakers. When John Atkinson listened to the ESL63 first time in the Quad factory, they were placed in an awkward configuration - one over the bench and the other on a tall chair and he reported the best stereo imaging he had ever experienced!

Your room dimensions are close to those of the room of the late SME founder Alastair Robertson-Aikman who used modified ESL63 - but he listened very far from them. (square = 1 feet x 1 feet)

Very strange configuration! The only thing in common with my previous placement, is the distance from the speakers and the front wall that i found to be good around two meters. I really had a very good and stable stereo image and a deep and wide sound stage. In my room, sitting too far from the speakers was actually giving a flatter sound stage and a less defined stereo image. Anyway, it took me a long time to find a satisfying positioning for my Quad, that's why I'm worried for my new room.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The problem with fiber glass is that it is the fire rated acoustic fabric that can cost a whole lot of money. A LOT. That why I was suggesting perforated metal as a covering. With your ceiling height you'd have to strain to see the perforations. Drop it to beam level and you'll have lots of airspace and filling space for LF traps. Hole size and spacing will change depending on frequency targeted however. Best thing is that you can paint these any color you like.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I love the aesthetics of the room that is shown in the computer rendering. As to acoustics, I have a few questions (which may in turn generate helpful comments, since I'm eventually going to do a new room too).
1. I thought that non-parallel side walls were good- perhaps not to the extent of a 'fan' shape, like concert halls, but by a few degrees.
2. Ceiling height- I like high ceilings partly because I 'feel' better in such rooms- less claustrophic. As to how that affects acoustics, I assumed that could be dealt with by suspending diffusion panels- even open grid type panels- in appropriate places, including the first reflection point on the 'ceiling.'
3. That catwalk or gallery is very neat. If the room was higher in the back than in the front, couldn't one get away with a gallery running across the back wall ?(perhaps the facing aspect of the gallery platform would have to be treated in some way).

Ivory

Aug 11, 2011
The problem with fiber glass is that it is the fire rated acoustic fabric that can cost a whole lot of money. A LOT. That why I was suggesting perforated metal as a covering. With your ceiling height you'd have to strain to see the perforations. Drop it to beam level and you'll have lots of airspace and filling space for LF traps. Hole size and spacing will change depending on frequency targeted however. Best thing is that you can paint these any color you like.
Unfortunately the perforated metal will change too much the aesthetic and the boss (my wife) didn’t approve it. I’m studying other solutions and, according to the simulator that give a RT60 of over 2 sec. with the empty room, using acoustic plaster on two walls (the other two are drywall), curtains over the windows, a carpet, and 40 sqr meter of fiberglass board (on the ceiling or under the gallery) I’m going under 0.5 sec. above 250Hz. I’m still too high at 125Hz but after a complete furnishing, library, CD/LP rack, I hope I can keep the RT60 around 0.45 sec. I will also add some diffractive panels behind the speakers and, especially if I chose the more symmetrical solution with the speakers on the long side, some absorbing panel behind the listening position. I also have the possibility to build some Helmholtz resonators using the volume inside the drywall with the openings right at the corners.
I have no experience and this is just theory, do you think it may work? Another question, does anybody knows if there is a drywall with acoustic absorbing characteristics so I can reduce the area of absorbing panels on the ceilings or maybe just use some clouds?
Thanks a lot for your help.

Ivory

Aug 11, 2011
I love the aesthetics of the room that is shown in the computer rendering. As to acoustics, I have a few questions (which may in turn generate helpful comments, since I'm eventually going to do a new room too).
1. I thought that non-parallel side walls were good- perhaps not to the extent of a 'fan' shape, like concert halls, but by a few degrees.
2. Ceiling height- I like high ceilings partly because I 'feel' better in such rooms- less claustrophic. As to how that affects acoustics, I assumed that could be dealt with by suspending diffusion panels- even open grid type panels- in appropriate places, including the first reflection point on the 'ceiling.'
3. That catwalk or gallery is very neat. If the room was higher in the back than in the front, couldn't one get away with a gallery running across the back wall ?(perhaps the facing aspect of the gallery platform would have to be treated in some way).
Hi wart, I really care about this renovation project, not just for the music room, but also because is a nice building inside the walls of a mediaeval city in Italy.
Regarding your questions, I hope that the experts in the forum will give their contribution.

P.S. I didn't understand your last question.

katylied

Sep 7, 2011
Torino (Turin) - Italy
I

I visited the Alaistar Robertson-Aikman home at the end of the 80' (was when the SME IV was introduced) and I remember that the 2nd pair of ESL 63 was placed not against the side walls but more toward the center, some thing like this __ / \ __ . It was one of the best sound I have ever heard. He was using an Audio Research SP11 with very long Randall interconnects to Krell power amps (KMA100 I think), Oracle Delphi with SME V and Koetsu Red. Too bad I have no pictures of the room or the SME factory (very impressive too).

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Unfortunately the perforated metal will change too much the aesthetic and the boss (my wife) didn’t approve it. I’m studying other solutions and, according to the simulator that give a RT60 of over 2 sec. with the empty room, using acoustic plaster on two walls (the other two are drywall), curtains over the windows, a carpet, and 40 sqr meter of fiberglass board (on the ceiling or under the gallery) I’m going under 0.5 sec. above 250Hz. I’m still too high at 125Hz but after a complete furnishing, library, CD/LP rack, I hope I can keep the RT60 around 0.45 sec. I will also add some diffractive panels behind the speakers and, especially if I chose the more symmetrical solution with the speakers on the long side, some absorbing panel behind the listening position. I also have the possibility to build some Helmholtz resonators using the volume inside the drywall with the openings right at the corners.
I have no experience and this is just theory, do you think it may work? Another question, does anybody knows if there is a drywall with acoustic absorbing characteristics so I can reduce the area of absorbing panels on the ceilings or maybe just use some clouds?
Thanks a lot for your help.

Unfortunately you can rig ply to reduce bass but it won't make any difference in the mids and highs. Have a look here for ceiling options any wife would love. model 12/4 looks like it fits the bill for you. I have no connection with this company but I do use similar labyrinth planks in my own room.

http://www.topakustik.ch/category/products/applications/ceiling/?lang=en

You can spy our use of labyrinth planks in both the HT (backed with 50mm rock wool) and the bar/lounge (200mm rock wool) in my friends blog.

http://heart-2-heart-online.com/?s=jack+duavit&asl_sortby=relevance&asl_order=desc

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing