Youssou N'Dour

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

The purpose of the hole hobby is to better reproduce music. Yet discussions about music are far and few between... This part of the forum, the music section in general is woefully neglected by forum members and this is unfortunate. I know many here have great musical taste and it would benefit our lives (truly) that they share more of what they listen with us ..
Anyhow

This Album by Youssou N'Dour landed again in my listening list .. A very beautiful , well recorded album. World music without the negatives the name tends to conjure .. i-e exotic music sweetened to accommodate western tastes.. Not this one.. From the heart, yet with rhythms and melodies that a western sensibility can easily follow ... Of course I don't understand a word of what he is singing about .. I simply let the music be my guide and it is a surefooted one .. Beautiful, authentic, well recorded album ...

Reactions: Laurusri

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Good call, Frantz. I saw him in concert back in about 1985-ish, around the time when he was collaborating with Peter Gabriel. His music is wonderful.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Never saw him live, but truly do enjoy his music. Much like I do Salif Keita

Salif Keita - M'B&#101.jpg

John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hi

The purpose of the hole hobby is to better reproduce music. Yet discussions about music are far and few between... This part of the forum, the music section in general is woefully neglected by forum members and this is unfortunate. I know many here have great musical taste and it would benefit our lives (truly) that they share more of what they listen with us ..
Anyhow

This Album by Youssou N'Dour landed again in my listening list .. A very beautiful , well recorded album. World music without the negatives the name tends to conjure .. i-e exotic music sweetened to accommodate western tastes.. Not this one.. From the heart, yet with rhythms and melodies that a western sensibility can easily follow ... Of course I don't understand a word of what he is singing about .. I simply let the music be my guide and it is a surefooted one .. Beautiful, authentic, well recorded album ...

+1...Equipment talk is great, but it's music that truly resonates deep into one's soul....

John

DWR

Jul 26, 2010
Western burbs of Detroit
Yep its a shame but if you look at most of the audio forums out there, the music section is one of the least visited sections, but everybody wants to tell you how "its all about the music" I don't see that as the case at all, there are a LOT of people out there with what seems to be more interest in the gear than the music. I am going to find me a copy of the albums shown here and see how they are, I am always looking to expand my listening tastes. I just ordered Harlem River Blues by Justin Townes Earl, anybody else listen to any of his music?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Hi

Agreed, but if I say that right now what I'm listening to is The Ultimate Kenny G, people will laugh at me ;)

But, ah, since this is the World Music forum, I just found this album in my collection, bought on one of my many trips to China. http://manmandi.tistory.com/447

Great music - recorded in a Mongolian village. Track 6 is really awesome as it's recorded in an open field, and the cow (buffalo?) walking across the soundstage brings you right to sitting in Grandpa's lap.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Remeber this classic with Neneh Cherry:

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
Thanks for the recommendation Frantz. You're right about the proportion of music discussion on this board. Hopefully we can get it higher My Rhapsody subscription makes it easy to sample many of the items recommended here. I did listen to the Youssou N'Dour album. On first listen I didn't connect strongly but I will give it another shot. I don't really know anything about world music but am open to trying out recordings that others have enjoyed. What ends up clicking is sometimes hard to predict.

Reactions: JeromeFrancis

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Thanks for the recommendation Frantz. You're right about the proportion of music discussion on this board. Hopefully we can get it higher My Rhapsody subscription makes it easy to sample many of the items recommended here. I did listen to the Youssou N'Dour album. On first listen I didn't connect strongly but I will give it another shot. I don't really know anything about world music but am open to trying out recordings that others have enjoyed. What ends up clicking is sometimes hard to predict.

Jay_S

The "Egypt" album is less "westernerized" than many of his albums. Takes a while to "digest" I can recommend another album, another gem .. but maybe more accessible :

Nothing's in Vain

or this album I would qualify as an introduction to Youssou N'dour ... A workout by the way for woofers and sub ... If the cut "Africa Remembers" from this album doesn't rattle you listening room .. your bass reproduction is inadequate. The album was mastered that way .. so .. Heavy on the bass as it is played on the dance floor .. Not compressed people just bass heavy and on purpose ...

Eyes Open

From the first cut you will get it.. I hope .. Great Artist ... A true Pro and one who cares a great deal about song quality ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing