Your DAC replacement thoughts please

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I was a dealer for PS before they went direct only. Though I sold several of them, I personally didn't love the Directsteam. IMO, it's a very smooth, laid back sound that rarely got my blood pumping. I also didn't find much improvement moving from one software update to the next. Never had two units at once to A/B test, but as opposed to the fanboys who described major improvements w/each update, they were frankly lost on me. I personally like the sound of the Stellar line more than that of the topline DAC and BHK stuff.

Reactions: Clipper and Al M.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Sadly while I applaud the the technical expertise of PS Audio. I have never been able to warm up to the SQ. For example they hate tubes So why did they do this?
BHK1.png

Reactions: Clipper

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
They just do it for the input tubes, FETs handle the output. The BHK preamp is the same as is the new Stellar amp, both w/a similar two stage setup. OT, but some of my favorite amps ever are the Llano Trinity series which were tube input stage/FET output stage.

wh01sjongalt

Feb 26, 2019
Raleigh, NC, 27616
I have been using an AMR DP-777SE DAC which is now having intermittent reliability issues. I'm considering replacing/upgrading to either a
1) Chord Dave
2) PS Audio Direct Stream or
3) APL DSD ($$)

I need to buy used, and I'm comfortable with that. My hopes are for reliability, deeper soundstaging, timbre distinctions (ie violin & viola) and, most importantly, emotional engagement. I'm now 70, so my hearing ain't what it used to be.

I realize that responders are expressing their opinions, and my system synergy & sound room acoustics impact everything. I'm only looking for a DAC. I do hope to hear from you. Thanks from Olympia, WA USA

Current second system: flac & hi rez files? APL DP-777SE? Pass Labs XP20? Pass Labs XA100.5's? Ridge Street Audio Design Sason speakers. Cabling is all Jena Labs. View attachment 71563
Holo Audio May KTE DAC FTW

rubinken

Jan 15, 2020
Olympia, WA, USA
I'm set. I located a used APL DSD-MK2. Quite pleased now. It's disappointing and unprofessional that AMR (aka ifi) doesn't support their products with parts should they be needed.

Clipper

Feb 7, 2020
I'm set. I located a used APL DSD-MK2. Quite pleased now. It's disappointing and unprofessional that AMR (aka ifi) doesn't support their products with parts should they be needed.
Good choice Rubinken .l guess you are quite pleased finding a used one ,.

rubinken

Jan 15, 2020
Olympia, WA, USA
Good choice Rubinken .l guess you are quite pleased finding a used one ,.
Yes. I certainly lucked out on that. Thanks.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I am sure you've all heard plenty of ''Covid-related excuses'' given by the companies for the corporate mismanagement and miscommunication. That won't be iFi's case. @rubinken, we are sorry it it taking time. We doing our best to give you the support you need despite the slightly unfavourable Covid and Brexit environment as well as the unusual DP-777 SE issues, with the previous owner of your unit replacing and updating only a half of the PCBs.

rubinken

Jan 15, 2020
Olympia, WA, USA
Appreciate your input, as it seems to be an impressive DAC. I located a used APL DSD-MR MK2 at a great price that I purchased. I'm very pleased with my music now.

Reactions: christoph

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany

rubinken

Jan 15, 2020
Olympia, WA, USA
Thanks DasguteOhr,
I found a terrific price on a used APL DSD-MR MK2. I'm very pleased with the sound, so I'm set for now.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing