Why the lack of love for Bartok?

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Totally agree.

From my experience, my favorite artists, bands, composers, were not immediately appreciated by me, on the first few listenings. It took several or more times until they gelled for me.

I was not a fan of classical, at all, until I heard Bartok, Stravinsky, Britton, Ravel. I didn't become a obsessed until I discovered Carter, Wourinen, Berg, Schwantner, Schoenberg, Lindberg, Ades, Tower, etc.

Classical music from earlier than about 1920 does nothing for me. And it's not for lack of trying. The vast majority of the classical I listen to is post 1950.

If I had to choose, I would always pick 20th-century music. Fortunately I don’t have to choose!

Listen to Glenn Gould play Bach, or the Bach Cello Suites, and the late Beethoven quartets. In their way, they are just as “out there” and exciting as anything from the 20th century.

Reactions: Al M.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Listen to Glenn Gould play Bach, or the Bach Cello Suites, and the late Beethoven quartets. In their way, they are just as “out there” and exciting as anything from the 20th century.

Copy that. Gould Rulz.

Or even Vivaldi - try the first movement of Winter in his Four Seasons.

Simon Moon

Apr 24, 2015
Copy that. Gould Rulz.

Or even Vivaldi - try the first movement of Winter in his Four Seasons.

I've tried.

I have decent amount of Bach, Vivaldi, Beethoven, Mozart, and many other pre-20th century recordings in my collection. I play them from time to time, to see if they'll do anything for me. After all, if I begin to like pre-20th century music, that opens an entire new world of music for me. Never a bad thing!

As it is, I'll have to stick to 20th century and contemporary classical.

Lucky for me, there are always new composers and pieces to discover from these periods, so I have no problems finding new and exciting music.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Just finished Bartok Piano Concertos 2 and 3...Askenazy/Solti vinyl. Lots of love for this, both the SQ which my system is finally realising (way better timbral accuracy from my Zus is SO critical to classical appreciation), and just an amazingly potent performance. Indeed, this is going to be a "go-to" disc to ascertain future system changes and gauge other audiophiles' sounds.

Oh yes, and to enjoy over and over.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al M.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Bartok = meh :eek:

In all seriousness, I am not a fan, but this discussion you refer to was in the context of Beethoven! If you recall, Tang was struggling with Beethoven to the incredulity of others.

That said, whilst you and others may like Bartok, he is nowhere near the *vastly* superior Beethoven :p Imho ymmv and all that politically correct bollox.
I am also not a fan but would never bash the composer's work...clearly the mind of a gifted composer...he just doesn't speak to me in the way other composers do.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing