What are microdynamics?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I must have missed something. This hasn't become another analog/digital debate, has it?

Tim

I hope I haven't given that impression - the first release vinyls I've got sound as good when copied to digital with microdynamics preserved.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I hope I haven't given that impression - the first release vinyls I've got sound as good when copied to digital with microdynamics preserved.

I didn't think you had, Gary. I understood the intention of your post.

Tim

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Want to hear the difference between box and electrostatic speakers? Listen for micro dynamics.

This might have already been mentioned, but most electrostatic speakers are a good example of excelling at micro dynamics while being relatively inferior in macro dynamics and overall dynamic range. It's only a generalization, there are certainly exceptions for either type of speaker.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
But guys, there is more to microdynamics than just the loudspeakers...

The volume control (pot quality), from the preamp section, and all its analog/digital stages.
The amplification itself.
The wiring from the Interconnects, the loudspeakers' internals, the enclosures, crossovers, speaker wires...
The playback sources.
The quality of the music mediums.

And all that Jazz ...

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
This might have already been mentioned, but most electrostatic speakers are a good example of excelling at micro dynamics while being relatively inferior in macro dynamics and overall dynamic range. It's only a generalization, there are certainly exceptions for either type of speaker.

I hear where you're coming from but you should hear the Summit-Xs in my system. Maybe not quite a dynamic speaker but I don't think you'd find them disappointing when it comes to macrodynamics. (Esp. with the big cjs driving them.)

While in the end, it comes down to personal preferences, it's been my experience that the microdynamics are more important in terms of musical realism than macro. Perhaps if you listening to some really large scale, bombastic music--like British Band Music on Mercury--you'd feel otherwise :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I wonder. I mentioned the suspensions, because my friend has a recent Naim speaker with good quality drivers, and he has the same problems: it takes a solid workout over some hours to fully condition them, for the "tonality", for want of a better term, to properly emerge.

Frank

Well I haven't found that long a time for the speakers to warmup. Electronics are more variable with the older VACs and AudioNotes that I had in took three or four hrs to sound their best. Now for the OBs I have no measurements but the fellows at AN claimed that warmup time was due to them using interstage coupling transformers.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hello Myles

It all depends on what's in the box and how well it's put together. There are some damn good sounding boxes out there that are not stat based. If anything even if stats can do Micro very well some don't necessarily have the Macro end covered that to me is one of their weaknesses.

Robh:)

No argument there :) I thought I mentioned box and stats had different strengths and obviously there are good examples of both. You should hear the Summit-Xs though: they may not quite be a box speaker when it comes to dynamics, but when you hear the micro/macro balance, you don't notice any issues.

Problem with the stats is that they are sooooo... revealing of everything upstream. So unless they're carefully matched, one can easily mistake problems say with a cartridge for something in the stat. Also, they are really sensitive to set up, so hearing them at a show or dealers may lead to erroneous conclusions (but hell, I've had that with other speakers too where I've been able to extract more from them in my room than imagined). I recently had one electronics manufacturer over to hear the Summit-Xs--and he's heard quite a few systems over the years--and his first comment is that he's never heard the ML sound so seamless. So it can be accomplished :)

Can't say that I've heard any horns though that sent me. But there are certainly others that love horns.

For me, it's the neutrality, resolution and speed of the stats that float my boat. OTOH, I wouldn't mind having something like the Maggie ribbon, ML stats and Maggie bass panels :)

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
But guys, there is more to microdynamics than just the loudspeakers...

The volume control (pot quality), from the preamp section, and all its analog/digital stages.
The amplification itself.
The wiring from the Interconnects, the loudspeakers' internals, the enclosures, crossovers, speaker wires...
The playback sources.
The quality of the music mediums.

And all that Jazz ...
I agree, Bob, it's the whole shebang: one little problem somewhere and it goes down the gurgler. As Myles points out for for panel speakers, the more revealing the system, the more it reveals! I've got that Springsteen album on at the moment at a volume that my ears would start ringing within minutes if I was only a metre away, so the slightest defect just screams at you. So if any one of those things you mention are not quite there, not spot on, listening at this level would be impossible ...

Frank

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
The sort of musicians I play with don't often say "Forte! Forte!" Roger. It's more like "See?...This one goes to eleven."

Tim

Not like Miles eh......:D

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
No question that adding a good sub increases the dynamic range of 'stats. The Sanders and the Summit-X's are good examples, and the King II's do a pretty good job even without a sub. I had Acoustat 2+2's with Servo-Charge amps and a pair of VMPS subs for over ten years and loved them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing