"Wave Launch" and Subwoofer Placement?

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Interesting...presume that at or below 40hz, this trend continues. I believe I have read somewhere that even Wilson Audio has been know to drive the Thors in the Wilson residence with big Parasound amps while the main speaker amps are different?
I have not tried Wilson’s crossover it is probably excellent, and can maybe also make a difference.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have not tried Wilson’s crossover it is probably excellent, and can maybe also make a difference.
Yes, and with it, i could try both ways: crossing over the main Wilsons...or leaving them alone to run full-range (my intuitive preference)...and in any event, adjusting and finetuning the portion of signal from the preamp that will go across to the Sub(s). Fortunately, the preamp has dual sets of outputs so I can run straight from preamp to main amp to main speakers...and use the 2nd output set to run to the Wilson crossover.

Reactions: Mark Seaton

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Yes, and with it, i could try both ways: crossing over the main Wilsons...or leaving them alone to run full-range (my intuitive preference)...and in any event, adjusting and finetuning the portion of signal from the preamp that will go across to the Sub(s). Fortunately, the preamp has dual sets of outputs so I can run straight from preamp to main amp to main speakers...and use the 2nd output set to run to the Wilson crossover.
Just to throw another wrench in, i prefer running my tubes Io Eclipse as a phono only, as a preamp it did not convince me using both outputs into main and sub channels. I clearly prefer my SS preamp in the mix, maybe it is an impedance thing, maybe it is the difference of an extra SS buffer from the crossover being tonally different from the direct valve output to the main speakers. And keep in mind i’m crossing over at 100hz.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Just to throw another wrench in, i prefer running my tubes Io Eclipse as a phono only, as a preamp it did not convince me using both outputs into main and sub channels. I clearly prefer my SS preamp in the mix, maybe it is an impedance thing, maybe it is the difference of an extra SS buffer from the crossover being tonally different from the direct valve output to the main speakers. And keep in mind i’m crossing over at 100hz.
Thanks for continuing to share your deep experience!!! The CJ GAT 2 while a tubed preamp has an impedance output of only 100ohms...so closer I am told to a SS output impedance. Additionally, i have only 2 sources (both digital, the Zanden digital and a Kaleidescape for movies)...so I am not sure I have another option anyway. Keeps life simple which is already complicated enough as you point out! ;)

Reactions: Lagonda

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing