Warner Bros.: The Cartoon Kings of Classical Music

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I thought I'd start the classical music discussions by going back to the beginning: the venue where many of us first heard some of the greatest classical music masterworks.

Bugs Bunny, Tom & Jerry, and friends showcased tunes from the greatest classical composers in many episodes.

One only has to see a short snippet of Tom chasing Jerry through a piano by hitting the keys in an attempt to crush him, and playing Franz Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody #2 in the process. Another immortal scene has Elmer Fudd channeling Richard Wagner's Die Valkure while singing "I've killed the Wabbit".

There are so many more, but these two are a couple of my favorites.

Please feel free to post any others that come to mind. I just find it fascinating that we have received a subliminal education in the classics, where we associate certain tunes with Visual media (anyone hear the William Tell Overture and NOT think of the Lone Ranger?)

Welcome to the What's Best Forum!

Lee:)

Last edited:

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
Howdy, Lee!

If I may digress, for a moment, as regards Warner's Looney Tunes music, let's not forget Carl Stalling's other huge source for material: Raymond Scott. Scott's eclectic mix of swing jazz with classical and other influences may be found virtually everywhere in Stalling's scores e.g. "Powerhouse" being one of the most memorable.

Terrific album here:

An excellent recording of Scott's original "quintette", though probably only for the most devoted Looney Tunes fans.

/Ken

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Let's not forget Disney's Silly Symphonies that actually started it all :)

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
Let's not forget Disney's Silly Symphonies that actually started it all :)
Several of which may be found, beautifully remastered, on the recent Snow White BD release. Music Land is a personal favorite.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

There was an incredible Bugs Bunny in which he was suppose to be Leopold Sotokowski and had a Tenor singing .. At one point Bugs left his glove in the Air while the Tenor was rolling on the floor trying to keep up a high Note ..Priceless .. One of the best I have seen ..

Frantz

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
Long-Haired Hare. Looney Tunes Collection Vol. I

Hi

There was an incredible Bugs Bunny in which he was suppose to be Leopold Sotokowski and had a Tenor singing .. At one point Bugs left his glove in the Air while the Tenor was rolling on the floor trying to keep up a high Note ..Priceless .. One of the best I have seen ..

Frantz

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
Another excellent example, well worth watching, is Pigs in a Polka (Loony Tunes Collection Vol. 3). Stalling's score using Brahms' "Hungarian Dances" is a tour de force.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing