VPI Classic 4 Turntable

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
Roy Gregory's review of the VPI Classic 4 turntable http://www.theaudiobeat.com/ - does RG make a case one would have to spend mega bucks to better this turntable?

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
It looks like the major difference between the Classic 3 and Classic 4 is the second tone arm. For my money the 3 is the one. Fremer said it was the best VPI TT when he reviewed it and it's $2K less. I checked it out at the local dealer and it is a beast.

trh8654

May 29, 2010
Virginia
From what I've read the 4 is larger and will use the 12.7 arm as the main arm and normal arm from the 3 will be the second arm. I read pricwe to be in the $10K range, but not sure on that.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Funny how a table that started out at around $2300 is now up to $10K.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Funny how a table that started out at around $2300 is now up to $10K.

Answer is that it's not a Classic 1. Lot's more to the picture :) Classic 1 is still $2700 last I checked.

My bigger complaint is that I want the 4 to accomodate 2-12 inch arms, not one 10.5 and one 12. That makes no sense at all since IMHO the 12 inch arm is a lot better. And also want 2-12 inch arms so can compare cartridges and not have to remember VTA settings when swapping them in and out.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
The plinth has to be made much larger to accomodate the geometry associated with two 12" arms.

trh8654

May 29, 2010
Virginia
It would be nice if VPI would put out something about what final product will be. I thought it was strange that the one I read about had the two different length arms on it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing