Von Schweikert Family Affair

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
As usual, my plans for the future are altered by forces bigger than me. So it should be no surprise that the plan I created at 10 years old for a bucket list audio system has turned out ifferent than projected.

Somehow I thought that when all of the equipment arrived it would take at least three months for the system to begin to stabilize. Now it is 6 months and I have a speaker dead in the water due to a weird power anomaly that produced a surge and took out the input of one of my Ultra 9’s 1000 watt plate amps for the 15” sub as well as the sub driver.

I find it kind of funny that I have two pairs of VSA speakers in my main system currently with the little brothers (E3 Mk2) holding up the big brothers, (Ultra 9’s). What is remarkable is how good the E3’s are and the auditory DNA similarities with the 9’s. Although not the 9’s, the E3 Mk2’s are a joy to listen to. It is also wonderful to see how they scale given the quality of the system driving them. The sound still rapidly envelopes you and helps me escape into the music.

The more familiar I become with current VSA speakers the more I realize that they have more in common with one another than they are different. The consistency of the VSA sound across the line is a testimony to Damon’s and Leif’s unending attempts to emulate reality by addressing any and all known distortions anywhere in the system. Hence the VSA tag, The Sound of Reality.

Monday was to be the day that I thought I would receive the final important piece to my bucket list system, a Taiko SGM Extreme, to replace my Innuos SE which did not work at all with my MasterBuilt Ultra USB, which I am unwilling to forgo. So I am being forced to listen to the E3’s during this system culminating experience with the Taiko Extreme, which I have never heard and still have not heard because it is still lost in customs somewhere. Regardless the little brothers have done a wonderful job helping me not overload during this very trying week and trying time in my life.

I have enclosed a picture because I think it is kind of funny with the little brother helping the heavy weights Front speaker.jpg

Last edited:

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
I want to clarify that my above post in no way suggests that the VSA Ultra 9's were the cause of the amp and woofer problems. My case is the only time this has happened and it is clear that because it was connected to my system when the electrical anomally occurred, it also suffered. This is one of the finest, if not the finest speaker, I have ever heard and I am sure it will resume that status once Leif is able to travel back to NJ to my home from Riverside so that he can personally install the replacement parts and so that he can insure that I once again have the amazing sound that I have from my Bucket List System, which is centered around the VSA Ultra 9's

How many companies would provide that type of home service and save me the $3k for shipping back to the factory and then back to me that most companies would require without hesitation? Bravo Damon and Leif.

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
Sorry to hear about this. Leif will get it up and running perfectly when he is able to travel.

My Ultra 9s have been flawless and sound better than ever at this point. Hang in there Russ.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leif S

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Be thankful it is not a true bucket list.

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Hey Leif. When you get to NJ let me know! I live hear too you know. Maybe I’ll have my MasterBuilt cables by then. :cool:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hey Leif. When you get to NJ let me know! I live hear too you know. Maybe I’ll have my MasterBuilt cables by then. :cool:
They are worth the wait.
im waiting on another pair of Ultras myself
you won’t be disappointed

Reactions: LampiNA and Holli82

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Yes, the E3s are very nice Russ. I know that from my visit 2 Xmas's ago.

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
Absolutely true. I just wish they were working now that I am home bound.
I would say I feel your pain but my Ultras are getting me through this COVID quarantine.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I've been waiting for you to post your new system Mobiusman. I look forward to your next installments.

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing