Visit to Marc C.'s (SpiritOfMusic's) House in England

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Marc

Why did you get the giant balanced transformer in the first place?

I am sure you were raving about it at the time. What has changed?

Cheers

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
My old London apartment had a very bad dose of great SQ after hours, cranky earlier in the day. A function of poor power I diagnosed.
My first attempt at a solution was the Burmester 948 which was a fix, but dynamics suffered. Moving to a much cheaper, balanced transformer solution with an Airlink upped the ante again, but some different reservations now.
The big Westwick that I settled on a decade ago seemed to have the advantages of the first two solutions with none of their disadvantages.
Seemed like a one box, somewhat overkill solution, but wholly positive.
And Mike Lavigne running balanced seemed like a good role model.
However, things are so different out here in the country, mainly much more stable power coming into the chapel, likely less polluted as well.
Right now I can't deny the evidence of what I'm hearing.
Either my diagnosis for my original woes was wrong, or my solution was not the best, or things have moved on and previous conclusions are invalid.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Either my diagnosis for my original woes was wrong, or my solution was not the best, or things have moved on and previous conclusions are invalid.
This is good analysis!

It doesn't matter which of these is correct; I'm just glad you're making new progress!

Reactions: PeterA

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hmm, progress in circles. Like relying on a malfunctioning SatNav.

• Haha
Reactions: Ron Resnick

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
‘However, things are so different out here in the country, mainly much more stable power coming into the chapel, likely less polluted as well.”

Marc can you tell me how your voltage changes over the day?
Actual voltage say during the evening and fluctuation variance.
Level of noise on the mains in mv
Total power requirement of your system.
Power outages per year approximately.

Thank you

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It doesn't matter which of these is correct; I'm just glad you're making new progress!
Change is progress.

Even though it does not cost chump change.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
‘However, things are so different out here in the country, mainly much more stable power coming into the chapel, likely less polluted as well.”

Marc can you tell me how your voltage changes over the day?
Actual voltage say during the evening and fluctuation variance.
Level of noise on the mains in mv
Total power requirement of your system.
Power outages per year approximately.

Thank you
This is pure conjecture on my part. The only time I had objective evidence of power issues was back in London, where my Burmester 948 conditioner registered significant fluctuations in voltage moment to moment. Which pushed me down the balanced transformer route, and subsequently a guest measured my power, and indeed those variations had smoothed out.
If and when my electrician returns to likely install audiophile grade MCBs and RCB, I guess I can ask him to check the things on your list.
My conjecture is purely based on the fact that music playing now unadulterated by balanced power or any other conditioner sounds extremely open and consistent at any time of the day. That was absolutely not the case in London before I got the Burmester.
The only thing I can confirm is semi regularity of outtages, normally bird strike on overhead lines, one or two monthly. And the odd longer blackout.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing