Vinyl Record Show- NYC (WFMU)

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
A friend who is a very serious record collector- far more serious than me- invited me to go along to this show. (I missed the Austin Record Convention for the second year in a row, which is another story). This was hugely entertaining- even if you are not into vinyl. The crowd was an interesting mix of characters- in some ways representing all the stereotypes: from the professorial looking classical collectors, to the hep-cat jazz guys with little berets, to the overweight white dudes with bad hygiene and even older T-shirts eating junk food at the food court. There were some seriously pricey records on display. One guy was basically just capitalizing on the vinyl bubble by selling off part of his collection- he claimed he wasn't a regular dealer- yes, they were nice records, but not worth anything near the asking prices.
I didn't find anything on my short list but did find some other things that I'm looking forward to playing (and, the condition of virtually all of the records I bought appeared to be impeccable- my impression was that the show drew some serious dealers, although i met virtually none that I have dealt with over the intraweb).
It was great fun, but exhausting. My friend is still there, digging through the stacks. I went into overload after several hours and bailed. I would definitely pay a serious premium to get in before the hordes; we arrived for an early admission and it was still crowded. People were very polite though, and the dealers were refreshingly pleasant to talk to for the most part. I think we are riding a bubble, though. So, with rare exceptions, I'm going to avoid buying big ticket used vinyl. Some of the prices were pretty astonishing.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I was going to be at Rhapsody tomorrow on 24th and was going to drop by :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
I dropped $400 and could have easily kept going. My arms were ready to fall off from schlepping my haul around.

Best one yet. If you are on the fence about going, don't think twice. Head over to 18th street.

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
And you can bet he'll be asking big bucks too :(

Not sure if this was the same guy, but one dealer had perfect original Blue Notes and early Atlantics for crazy 4 figure prices. Rock and jazz in pristine condition and astronomical prices.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
One of my 'scores' was an unbelievably pristine WLP of St. Dominic's Preview. The cover looked brand new, the record looked entirely unmolested. It wasn't a crazy expensive record. Found some other good stuff too. Just cleaned 12 records, will be doing a little listening this weekend. (Also got that Steve Wilson 'Benefit' so will see what I think).
I did have great fun at that show- just a little overwhelming. I guess I'm at a point where I'm not good in crowds. (And it really wasn't that bad, i gather today will be a zoo). I suspect my buddy may go back at the end of the show to 'swoop in' on the stuff that hasn't moved. Maybe I'll go back. :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Not sure if this was the same guy, but one dealer had perfect original Blue Notes and early Atlantics for crazy 4 figure prices. Rock and jazz in pristine condition and astronomical prices.

Probably, he's a big jazz guy, has written a book on Blue Notes and also has an an EBay in addition to his brick and mortar store. Everything and anything starts at 150+.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing