USB for ProUSB

Armsan

Jan 28, 2016
Portugal
The only audiophile USB cable I tried was the FTA Callisto....I'm still using the adapter

I did try the UpTone Audio adapter also...prefer the generic one

As always YMMV
BTW, do you have the Taiko USB card in your Extreme? That’s because with the adapter my MSB Pro USB is turned 180 degree, the bottom to the power chord side. Of course it also may be that my adapter is flipped 180 degrees, regarding yours…

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
BTW, do you have the Taiko USB card in your Extreme? That’s because with the adapter my MSB Pro USB is turned 180 degree, the bottom to the power chord side. Of course it also may be that my adapter is flipped 180 degrees, regarding yours…
Yes See my picture above....

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
The SiNOPE usb has been in my system for 12 days (thinking its active 8 hours/day so approx 100 hours)
For the first 6 days it was muted, slow and sluggish. Then day 7 and wow this might be something interesting.
Now 5 days later more subtle changes ...body and especially width has started to come in. Waiting for more depth, think rear wall and back corners. Hopefully a more 3d image, layering and space. Still a bit bright, but I'm guessing the silver in the cable still needs break-in.

Lets see what the next 100 hours bring ......

Armsan

Jan 28, 2016
Portugal
I’m maybe wrong but I thought there is issues with a usb cable too short in creating an echo in signal of sorts
Actually, Emile from Taiko prefer to use a 1,5 meters USB cable, as it sounds better for him, with this lenght.

Levitator

Jul 1, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
I‘ve only used USB cables but can say there is a difference with the cable used and noticed a difference going from a Shunyata Sigma to Omega cable which is sensational

Reactions: MarkusBarkus

divertiti

Jan 12, 2021
I’m maybe wrong but I thought there is issues with a usb cable too short in creating an echo in signal of sorts
I think you might be referring to SPIDIF (Coax & AES), where there is a prevailing theory that cables shorter than 1.5M but longer than 0.25M produce reflections. I haven't heard that for USB cables, in fact generally for USB the shorter it is the better.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
I was using the FTA Calisto but got the Shunyata Omega over Christmas. Going to give it a try and see what the impact of this change will be.

Of note the omega is rather unwieldy and has the extra weight of the two "modules". I am going to have to find a good way to support the cable.

Attachments

• USB.jpg
    USB.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 11

Levitator

Jul 1, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
I was using the FTA Calisto but got the Shunyata Omega over Christmas. Going to give it a try and see what the impact of this change will be.

Of note the omega is rather unwieldy and has the extra weight of the two "modules". I am going to have to find a good way to support the cable.
Look forward to your impressions - give it a few days before your final verdict but I have found it to be fantastic!

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA

@sbnx any update on the Shunyata Omega USB?

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Yes. It sounds really good. Very nice detail and body. I did not compare straight into the dac. Just vs callisto. A nice step up but it is 3X the price.

Reactions: MarkusBarkus

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
Looking for improvements about USB cables with USB Pro module, I’m using Pink Faun USB and tried AQ Diamond and Intona Reference before.

There are several contenders out there and I’d like to know from you your experiences about these cables, especially based on their own sound characteristics USING MSB DACs
- Shunyata Omega
- FTA Sinope
- Network Acoustic Muon
- Sablon EVO

@sbnx @Mike Lavigne @ACHiPo and other active contributors on this argument:

this thread is very interesting but maybe a recent update could help me pointing my next purchase in the right direction (I’m based in Italy and not able to have home audition of all the cables above mentioned).

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Looking for improvements about USB cables with USB Pro module, I’m using Pink Faun USB and tried AQ Diamond and Intona Reference before.

There are several contenders out there and I’d like to know from you your experiences about these cables, especially based on their own sound characteristics USING MSB DACs
- Shunyata Omega
- FTA Sinope
- Network Acoustic Muon
- Sablon EVO

this thread is very interesting but maybe a recent update could help me pointing my next purchase in the right direction (I’m based in Italy and not able to have home audition of all the cables above mentioned).

Thank you in advance.
A USB cable for you to consider is the CAD. He applies noise filtering to the 5V leg. This will be very important as this is how the prousb module is getting its power.

Reactions: luca.pelliccioli

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
A USB cable for you to consider is the CAD. He applies noise filtering to the 5V leg. This will be very important as this is how the prousb module is getting its power.
I have their GC1s but never considered their cable. Thanks. What’s your USB cable experience? I mean what you already tried and are using now, with which kind of sonic improvements.

Last edited:

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
Luca, I have been using the Shunyata Omega USB for a year or so between the Taiko Extreme and the MSB Reference dac, via ProUSB/ISL. I did a shootout with a local friend with USB into his Chord DAVE from his Extreme.

In both workflows, Chord and MSB, the sound was/is clear and clean. We did not think any portion of the sound was emphasized; it was a balanced, well organized sound. Very nice.

Apologies I cannot recall the various cables we listened against, but we preferred the Shunyata, and both ended up buying one. They are pricey, that's for sure! Good luck.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
i can not comment on the Sinope but I do have the calisto. I also own the audioquest diamond and Shunyata Omega. I have also tried the Nordost V2 USB in my system. I own all of them but the Nordost. Arranging them from most full bodied to leanest. The calisto, then the Shunyata, then the Nordost, then the audioquest. Pick what you want to do to your system. Do you want to add more body or do you need to lean things out a bit.

As I mentioned above I think the CAD offers great bang for the buck and the reduction in noise in the 5V line is huge going into the prousb.

I want to try the Crystal Cable Van Gogh USB. I think that one is going to be very nice.

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
i can not comment on the Sinope but I do have the calisto. I also own the audioquest diamond and Shunyata Omega. I have also tried the Nordost V2 USB in my system. I own all of them but the Nordost. Arranging them from most full bodied to leanest. The calisto, then the Shunyata, then the Nordost, then the audioquest. Pick what you want to do to your system. Do you want to add more body or do you need to lean things out a bit.

As I mentioned above I think the CAD offers great bang for the buck and the reduction in noise in the 5V line is huge going into the prousb.

I want to try the Crystal Cable Van Gogh USB. I think that one is going to be very nice.
Thank you.

What I'm looking for is: openness, lifelike, air, detail due to an already well balanced sound I'm having now in my system, a little bit on the warm side of neutral and already well bodied, rich and full. I don't like Nordost cables, too much bright IME, I usually suffer for "exaggeration" on high frequencies.

Following your suggestion I contacted my CAD dealer and within next week I'd receive their USB II-R cable for trial. I'll share my thoughts about it.

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA

- Shunyata Omega
- FTA Sinope
- Network Acoustic Muon
- Sablon EVO

Thank you in advance.
@luca.pelliccioli I'm afraid I don't have much of value to add, other than I am using the recommended Intona Reference 1.5m recommended by Emile of Taiko Audio. I'm happy with it and haven't thought about USB cables since installing it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing