Turntable Level

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I would not trust the accuracy of a digital level that’s made in China and inexpensive. Sorry, but it’s very true that specs mean nothing to many cheap Chinese vendors. If a $500 Mitutoyo is +/- .05 degrees there’s no way a $100 level is accurate to .01.

When you calibrate the Mitutoyo you flip it around in all orientations, so it gets a true 0 reading even if the surface you are measuring (or the level itself) is not perfectly flat!

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I would not trust the accuracy of a digital level that’s made in China and inexpensive. Sorry, but it’s very true that specs mean nothing to many cheap Chinese vendors. If a $500 Mitutoyo is +/- .05 degrees there’s no way a $100 level is accurate to .01.

When you calibrate the Mitutoyo you flip it around in all orientations, so it gets a true 0 reading even if the surface you are measuring (or the level itself) is not perfectly flat!
I’m happy for you that Mitutoyo calibrates perfectly. You can never know how accurate or reliable without testing other levels even if they’re made in China but I understand and share your concern.

Even if the level is perfectly calibrated and showing right results you still need to use the method I explained because platter surface is not extremely flat. Putting level on the arc of stylus is not the solution either. When you measure at other places on the platter you will see different results. The method I explained enables setting platter perpendicular to gravity.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
One problem with this method on my table is that it’s suspended and the platter is not centered. So the level is going to offset the level of the platter, based on where it sits.
I also noticed that if you gently rotate the platter, at least with a digital level, it sometimes displays no change, which could mean it’s not designed to be slowly moved. I think you have to pick it up and place it each time. This wouldn’t be the case with a bubble level.
I don’t trust my eyes enough to rely on a bubble level, not to an error within 0.1 degrees, anyway.

It’s also important to remember that 0.1 degrees is a fraction of a mm in height (depending on your platter size) of course. It may be impossible to get it level to 0.1mm even if the level gauge displays this level of accuracy.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
One problem with this method on my table is that it’s suspended and the platter is not centered. So the level is going to offset the level of the platter, based on where it sits.
Absolutely not important and it’s not an issue. When you check at 4 direction 90 degrees intervals you will compensate for that.

I also noticed that if you gently rotate the platter, at least with a digital level, it sometimes displays no change, which could mean it’s not designed to be slowly moved. I think you have to pick it up and place it each time. This wouldn’t be the case with a bubble level.
Then your digital level is not sensitive enough. The one I use change numbers like crazy when I move the platter. BTW any bubble level will do just fine.
I don’t trust my eyes enough to rely on a bubble level, not to an error within 0.1 degrees, anyway.

It’s also important to remember that 0.1 degrees is a fraction of a mm in height (depending on your platter size) of course. It may be impossible to get it level to 0.1mm even if the level gauge displays this level of accuracy.
Fair enough but you can use magnifier app or take photo at each 4 direction.

Anyway if you want ultimate precision on leveling platter that’s the only way.

It’s not a method I invented, I learned it long time ago and using it since then. I insist it’s superiority because it suits engineer in me and I couldn’t find anything better than that.

Last edited:

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
You’re assuming the level is light in weight. My level is about 400g, so it will cause the platter to not be level, depending on where it’s placed.

As far as the Motutoyo accuracy, find me a better one and I’ll buy it! I searched…
I didn’t say the reading didn’t change when I rotated the platter. Actually if the platter is level it should not change much. What I meant was this is not the way it was designed to work (on a moving platform).

Reactions: mtemur

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
I don't understand the need for such precision in a level. I simply use a carpenter's from Home Depot which is a 2 foot long aluminum case with a bubble level in the middle. It cost around $25. Each time I put it on my turntable platter I turn it around so I can check it both ways and the bubble always remains dead center (if the table is level of course). If there was any inaccuracy in the level, wouldn't the bubble move one way or the other when I reverse it?

I am not averse to spending more money for a better level, especially if it results in better listening, but I am having trouble seeing a possible benefit.

Croc999

Jan 4, 2024
Israel
Just had same question contemplating which level to use - i have 4 bubble one and all show a bit different stuff....
One of them is a vintage soviet industrial one - i tend to trust it the most, but i have no way to be sure.
So just ordered DigiPas DWL80PRO + Audio Technica AT615a - will see what they show...

Croc999

Jan 4, 2024
Israel
Got Audio Technica AT615a for Amazon.
Accurate it's NOT.

Also - it looks quite chunky, but actually it's pretty light.
So i guess built quality is not the greatest.
Just skip it.

Level1.jpg

Level2.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing