TubeTraps Between the Loudspeakers

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
In an old Acoustic Sciences Corporation article online online I saw a location of tube traps had not seen before:

IMG_0729.jpeg

Has anyone experimented with a pair of tube traps between the loudspeakers, and away from the front wall, as indicated in the diagram?

In this piece Art suggests separating the TubeTraps by 6 inches and having them pointed towards each other (whatever that means given the absorption/diffusion sides of the device).

Have you ever experimented with TubeTraps in this configuration?

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
Ron ... I'm not familiar with this drawing ... what do the lines attached to the circles represent?? Are they showing diffraction vs absorption? Maybe the side with the line points to the diffractive side and the other side is absorption? Thanks!

George

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Last edited:

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I don't know.

Probably

Maybe – – I don't know.
The lines represent the orientation of the trap. There is a seam on the trap ( your line) The line if i remember correctly is the diffusion side the opposite is a the absorption which has a silver button or two

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The line if i remember correctly is the diffusion side the opposite is a the absorption which has a silver button or two
I think the silver button designates the diffusion side.

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
Was just looking on their website and it appears the side with the buttons are the diffusion side.

Reactions: PeterA

Bjorn

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Norway
A placement like this means It's it's generally not going to absorb any low frequency energy.

Whether it does something in the mids and highs will depend on the directivity of the speaker. But even the speaker has a dispersion pattern where it will send energy in that direction, the effect would be very limited because it's not a mirror image point of the listener.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
You’re right sorry my mistake. My traps have the seems into the corners and the buttons facing out
I only use mine in the corners of the rooms .
Senior moments

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
You’re right sorry my mistake. My traps have the seems into the corners and the buttons facing out
I only use mine in the corners of the rooms .

Same here, on both counts.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
The lines represent the orientation of the trap. There is a seam on the trap ( your line) The line if i remember correctly is the diffusion side the opposite is a the absorption which has a silver button or two
Elliot you are correct the older TTs (seam) is Diffusion -Absorption opposite rotation. Studs appear on versions now to show same orientation i.e Diffusion.

As for the point in question of the facing Traps centre placed -I must admit I have not seen that used on any setups I've Auditioned both privately or Dealer.

Personally I adhere to a centre Mid range TT stack against wall -Buttons to Listener dead centre of the Speaker placement .
I find that gives the best Vocal and certainly pleasing Musical presentation. I've used this configuration since 1990 with my setups. _E1A1847 1.jpg
Some pages from my older notes on ASC Setups--maybe of use down the track. Click on the Image to enlarge.
YVMV.

BruceD

Last edited:
Reactions: gadawg58

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing