The new Thiels: In the house, the TM3 monitor

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Thiel Fans:

I just received a pair of the new Thiel TM3 standmounts. They retail for $3498.

I have been a long time Thiel fan,currently owning the CS2.4 and at one point the CS3.7.

After a few days, it is obvious these are real deal high fidelity speakers. Everyone who has
been following the news knows they have moved on from Jim Thiel's time aligned phase coherent
designs, but this was out of necessity.

More to follow.

Specs:

Frequency Response (Bandwidth) 48Hz to 30KHz
Low Frequency Limit (-10dB) 39Hz
Sensitivity 87dB (Anechoic); 90dB (In-Room)
Nominal Impedance 8 ohms (3.6 ohms Minimum)
Crossover Type 2-way Multi-order Crossover
Crossover Frequency 2.1KHz
Driver Compliment 1” Titanium dome Tweeter
6.5” Fiberglass cone Woofer (Die-cast Aluminum basket)
Dimensions 17.1” (H) x 9.8” (W) x 10.9” (D)
43.4 cm (H) x 25.0 cam (W) x 27.7cm (D)
Weight 20lbs (9.1Kgs) each

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Are congrats in order because these are yours or a review pair?

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Are congrats in order because these are yours or a review pair?

Hi Johnny:

No congrats at this point..these are a review pair.

I am not speficifically in the market now. I have 4 pairs of speakers scattered around the house from Thiel, Harbeth, Spendor,
Bryston (on loan) and Paradigm.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The Thiel brand has always been close to my heart. I liked the CS3.5 so much I had a SF Bay Area dealer ship it straight to the Philippines without even knowing much how I would claim it in the cargo section of our airport. I wanted to go CS5 in the 90s when Thiel was represented here but found out they needed a lot of power which I didn't have. After that, our distributor dropped the line and I miss the brand ever since. Looking forward to the review, Andre.

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
Hi Johnny:

No congrats at this point..these are a review pair.

I am not speficifically in the market now. I have 4 pairs of speakers scattered around the house from Thiel, Harbeth, Spendor,
Bryston (on loan) and Paradigm.

Hi Andre,

What's your view of the Spendor's. I have a local dealer who has asked me to audition the D7's. I'm still generally happy with my Magnepan 1.7's though and I wonder how the Spendor's would compare. Do you have any ideas on that? (and I apologize to the OP. Not intending to hi-jack your thread).

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
The Thiel brand has always been close to my heart. I liked the CS3.5 so much I had a SF Bay Area dealer ship it straight to the Philippines without even knowing much how I would claim it in the cargo section of our airport. I wanted to go CS5 in the 90s when Thiel was represented here but found out they needed a lot of power which I didn't have. After that, our distributor dropped the line and I miss the brand ever since. Looking forward to the review, Andre.

Hi Jadis:

Great story. Jim Thiel was a really an amazing man.

BTW, Thiel's were much easier to drive starting with the CS2.4..but for some reason the reputation as being
difficult remained. I never used more than 50 wpc with both my Thiel's and never wanted for more.

And they loved tubes!

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Hi Andre,

What's your view of the Spendor's. I have a local dealer who has asked me to audition the D7's. I'm still generally happy with my Magnepan 1.7's though and I wonder how the Spendor's would compare. Do you have any ideas on that? (and I apologize to the OP. Not intending to hi-jack your thread).
Hi Fred:

No worries, I can talk about Spendor any day of the week! Been a Spendor owner for 25 years.

Def. audition the D7. However it will be as you can imagine a totally different product than your Maggie.

Spendors in general, are not for merry go rounders or box swappers. They get everything right without being hifi.

Most gearheads won't be able to stand it because they won't be able to fidget, fantasize about their next trade in,
or think about how they can put magic stones or moon rocks on, around, or under the speakers because they will
be forced, god forbid, to listen to music.

Spendor does not chase trends, product churn, or invest in parts that have no sonic impact.

All that being said, give the current models a listen and we would love to hear your thoughts. :cool:

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Jadis:

Great story. Jim Thiel was a really an amazing man.

BTW, Thiel's were much easier to drive starting with the CS2.4..but for some reason the reputation as being
difficult remained. I never used more than 50 wpc with both my Thiel's and never wanted for more.

And they loved tubes!

Hi Andre,

I also used a relatively low wattage amp, the VTL 75 triode monos on the 3.5s then with good results. It was a beautiful match, and the ability of the Thiels to just disappear was just amazing for a relatively modest price, and at that time the CS3.5 was their highest model. I really loved how Jim Thiel was able to bring such good performance vis-a-vis the price. And also, the wood finishes were very nice, something Jim was proud of in his craft.

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
Hi Fred:

No worries, I can talk about Spendor any day of the week! Been a Spendor owner for 25 years.

Def. audition the D7. However it will be as you can imagine a totally different product than your Maggie.

Spendors in general, are not for merry go rounders or box swappers. They get everything right without being hifi.

Most gearheads won't be able to stand it because they won't be able to fidget, fantasize about their next trade in,
or think about how they can put magic stones or moon rocks on, around, or under the speakers because they will
be forced, god forbid, to listen to music.

Spendor does not chase trends, product churn, or invest in parts that have no sonic impact.

All that being said, give the current models a listen and we would love to hear your thoughts. :cool:

Thank you Andre. I guess I'll have to give them a visit very soon.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Thank you Andre. I guess I'll have to give them a visit very soon.

Have fun!

Just enjoy the listening, but quite frankly I don't know why you would want an alternative to your 1.7s...unless you are not
satisfied daily with them.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Hi Andre,

I also used a relatively low wattage amp, the VTL 75 triode monos on the 3.5s then with good results. It was a beautiful match, and the ability of the Thiels to just disappear was just amazing for a relatively modest price, and at that time the CS3.5 was their highest model. I really loved how Jim Thiel was able to bring such good performance vis-a-vis the price. And also, the wood finishes were very nice, something Jim was proud of in his craft.
Spot on. VTL and Thiel are a beautiful match.

To be honest, I think Thiel underpriced their speakers for years.

Last edited:

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
The new Thiel... Andre, keep us posted as to your initial impressions.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
The new Thiel... Andre, keep us posted as to your initial impressions.

Peter, thanks for posting this video!

BTW,I am driving the TM3s with a Simaudio 760A power amp, a Coffman Labs G1-A tubed pre, a Simaudio Neo 380D DAC w/ MiND,
and a Revox A77. Cabling is Transparent, Stager, DH Labs, and Audience power conditioning. Everything on Symposium platforms/supports.

They have improved even just after 4 or 5 days, as this pair literally came direct from assembly in the factory.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Thiel fan for the past 19 years, i still have a pair of CS 1.5 but my reference speakers is the CS 3.7 that i will never sell!
I love the older Thiels and one day would like to purchase a pair of CS 7.2 if i can find one.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing