The best Pre-amp/Processor???

dave03hd

Apr 22, 2014
Looking for a money no object, pre-amp/Processor, that sounds just as good for music, as it doe's for movies. (7.1) Any suggestions

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
One vote for the ADA Reference.

For critical listening you can feed the upper half Trinnov section of the unit directly, bypassing all the non-Trinnov components. (I feed the Trinnov section via 110ohm for two channel digital, and am in the process of getting an Oppo+Vanity board for multichannel bluray sources. All of those will run 96/24 without the down sampling most processors do.) Less critical sources, such as Roku and DirecTV go through the ADA section.

My understanding is that Trinnov is coming out with their own processor later this year, which will likely be more cost effective than the ADA with all the audiophile trappings.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
One vote for the ADA Reference.

For critical listening you can feed the upper half Trinnov section of the unit directly, bypassing all the non-Trinnov components. (I feed the Trinnov section via 110ohm for two channel digital, and am in the process of getting an Oppo+Vanity board for multichannel bluray sources. All of those will run 96/24 without the down sampling most processors do.) Less critical sources, such as Roku and DirecTV go through the ADA section.

My understanding is that Trinnov is coming out with their own processor later this year, which will likely be more cost effective than the ADA with all the audiophile trappings.

Once you get the Oppo/Vanity up and running, there is absolutely no reason to get the $40K ADA reference over the $15K Trinnov MC, except user interface and adding inputs beyond the 2 x HDMI inputs available on the Oppo 103D (of course, you can put an HDMI switch in front of this).

In fact, getting the MC will give you digital out, allowing you to hook up an audiophile 2 channel DAC to the Trinnov, taking up two channel performance a few more notches.

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
Once you get the Oppo/Vanity up and running, there is absolutely no reason to get the $40K ADA reference over the $15K Trinnov MC, except user interface and adding inputs beyond the 2 x HDMI inputs available on the Oppo 103D (of course, you can put an HDMI switch in front of this).

In fact, getting the MC will give you digital out, allowing you to hook up an audiophile 2 channel DAC to the Trinnov, taking up two channel performance a few more notches.

Largely agree. That's a very cost effective, and very high performance, approach.

I've got eight sources, only two of which are "audiophile", and several don't decode in the source/player, so the ADA works well, and so far has proven "spouse friendly." The new Trinnov unit with decoding should also work well. (At some point I'll add a new 32 channel Trinnov and move the ADA to my secondary bedroom or library setup.)

Others are enamored with Theta's new processor, which you can augment with their outboard Gen8 dacs for the front two or three channels.

I find the Trinnov remapping and active crossover functionality invaluable and addictive.

Last edited:

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Largely agree. I've got eight sources, only two of which are "audiophile", and several don't decode in the source/player, so the ADA works well, and so far has proven "spouse friendly." The new Trinnov unit with decoding should also work well. (At some point I'll add a new 32 channel Trinnov and move the ADA to my secondary bedroom or library setup.)

Others are enamored with Theta's new processor, which you can augment with their outboard Gen8 dacs for the front two or three channels.

I find the Trinnov remapping and active crossover functionality invaluable and addictive.

For additional non-audiophile inputs, you could get a $2K SSP (Onkyo / Marantz Level) and run this analog into into the Trinnov MC. For critical sources you use the Oppo vanity as input. You would still come out over $20K ahead of using the ADA Reference with equivalent of better SQ.

If you have a free digital input on the MC unit, you could also run a 2 channel source that is higher grade than the Oppo (i.e. optimized Music Server) into the Trinnov, digital out into an outboard audiophile DAC (I did this myself, but lacked inputs, so manually switched out XLR cables when changing source). A true swiss army knive solution.

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
If you have a free digital input on the MC unit, you could also run a 2 channel source that is higher grade than the Oppo (i.e. optimized Music Server) into the Trinnov, digital out into an outboard audiophile DAC (I did this myself, but lacked inputs, so manually switched out XLR cables when changing source). A true swiss army knive solution.

I considered this, but, because I run active speakers it was going to require nine channels of outboard audiophile DACs, which ended up being too pricey vs. the DACs already built into the Trinnov. If I ever go back to passive speakers your route will be my next step. (Or, if I hit some sort of unexpected lottery or interference, I'll purchase nine channels of SOA outboard dacs.)

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I considered this, but, because I run active speakers it was going to require nine channels of outboard audiophile DACs, which ended up being too pricey vs. the DACs already built into the Trinnov. If I ever go back to passive speakers your route will be my next step. (Or, if I hit some sort of unexpected lottery or interference, I'll purchase nine channels of SOA outboard dacs.)

Why? You just use one audiophile DAC for mains, and the Trinnov DACs for all the other channels. The Trinnov DAC output drives your active speaker directly. That's what I did (I have an active center channel) and it worked fine.

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
Why? You just use one audiophile DAC for mains, and the Trinnov DACs for all the other channels. The Trinnov DAC output drives your active speaker directly. That's what I did (I have an active center channel) and it worked fine.

Why? Because I use the crossover functionality in the Trinnov for my three front channels: for three active three ways I use nine channels of the Trinnov.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Why? Because I use the crossover functionality in the Trinnov for my three front channels: for three active three ways I use nine channels of the Trinnov.

I see. You could still get 3 x 2 channel outboard DACs for midrange and highs (assuming bass is less critical) D/A conversion duties, but it adds up in a hurry.....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing