Terra Nova-New Fox Series From Steven Spielberg

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
You beat me to it. Let me also suggest On Demand. In fact I watched it On Demand. Only problem with that is you can't fast forward through the commercials so best choice is DVR

HI All,
All good ideas. But, you don't understand. My signal source is a deep fringe roof top antenna. No dish, no cable, and free. Just air; and good a picture too! Yes, I could buy a DVR but I don't want to put money into a medium for which I have no respect. I don't want to put any time or money into watching TV. I have other good ways to spend my time.

Generally, I only watch PBS to which I subscribe. The main exception is sports. I'm a sports nut and there is plenty of that over the air. TV, generally, for me, is a waste of time.

Just so you don't think I'm on the Neanderthal side of things, I have a wonderful 5.1 HT system. It's excellent both for audio and video, in a bedroom set up. It is based on Krell electronics and B&W 800 series speakers. I have a large collection of DVD's. No Blu Rays. I have no way to play them, the price is too high, and the selection is too slim.

I'm one of those people that haunt the DVD bargain bins. I think you would be surprised at the quality of my DVD collection bought at good prices. For example, I'm collecting all the Academy's Best Pictures from 1955 to present. I have about 90 percent of them, all bought at bargain prices. The end is in sight. With over 800 DVD's in the collection the price savings are significant and the entertainment quotient is high. I cull the collection every 6 months or so to get rid of the duds. I definitely buy a few duds.

I'm a person with many hobbies and interests so spending time is no problem without TV being a time sink.

Sparky

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Well I have watched the first 4 episodes and am still waiting for something to happen except to say that some people in the present (2149) aren't too happy with Nathaniel Taylor the head of Terra Nova who is now living 85 million years ago in the past.

The music is typical shmaltzy Spelberg at his best but has Jurassic Park stamped all over it.

Not sure how long this show will last without picking up the pace of the story

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
The flow and speed of how the story progresses reminds me a bit of Taken series that also had Spielberg as producer.
This could be a good or bad thing, depending upon ones views of Taken mini series.
But then this is totally different writer/s, so maybe it is wishful thinking that Terra Nova is structured in a similar way and is not just going to be dull :)

Cheers
Orb

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
So anyone have any thoughts on TN now that the first season has ended? Personally think the show improved towards the end and really liked the two hour season finale!

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
TN has picked up as the plotline has unfolded, others I know who stuck with it are enjoying the series now as well (myself included).
Started similar to Taken in that it only started to really become enjoyable once the story-plot was more known and it is one of those series that builds up slowly.

Same could be said about Falling Skies (although that was not as slow building IMO).

Cheers
Orb

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That last one was the best one. But "best" is a stretch though as that was probably the only watchable one. You can take any of the 40 year old Star Trek episode and it would beat all of them with originality, depth and chemistry of acting. Some of the episodes in the middle were just plain bad. They couldn't figure out what to do with the characters. Is the bar tender a bad guy or good guy? At the end, they make him a good guy which of course it is in most science fiction movies.

The final I think we designed to shake up the concept. Having the main character be third in command of the police was poor choice. So they killed the girl and moved him up a notch.

My wife and I enjoy watching them because we both have interest in this genre and it is something we do together. But without this, we would never watch it.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
One disappointment I felt was the visual effect of the dinosaurs.
For the amount spent, seemed only average, but I guess costs must be astronomical for "lifelike" effects.

Cheers
Orb

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Agreed and I thought it was the worse in the final episode. I thought I was watching old Godzilla movies :).

They never did figure out what to do with the dinosaurs. Their existence is superficial in much of the storyline.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Agreed and I thought it was the worse in the final episode. I thought I was watching old Godzilla movies :).

They never did figure out what to do with the dinosaurs. Their existence is superficial in much of the storyline.

You're right. Even my gf commenter the Dino's really seemed fake :)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I guess we were all correct in our assessment of the series

‘Terra Nova’ Canceled by Fox; Show Looking For New Network

The Steven Spielberg-produced dinosaur drama has not been picked up for a second season, the network confirms to TheWrap. 20th Century Fox Television, the studio behind the series, is currently looking for a new network home for the show.

The series got off to a tumultuous start even before its September 2011 premiere — with a reportedly runaway budget and a canceled preview in May 2011.

The show proceeded to drew lukewarm ratings: The show’s premiere drew a respectable 3.1 rating/7 share in the adults 18-49 demographic and 9.2 million total viewers, but dropped off to a 2.2 rating/6 share with its December season finale.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Suspect it will wind up on Sci Fi channel and whatnot. But they would need to cut their budget way back and I wonder how much worse it can get!

It shows you that to be a good cook, you need more than good ingredients :).

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Suspect it will wind up on Sci Fi channel and whatnot. But they would need to cut their budget way back and I wonder how much worse it can get!

It shows you that to be a good cook, you need more than good ingredients :).

I actually thought it got a lot better as time wore on. Hope the SciFi channel does pick it up. Other shows like Stargate migrated to SciFi too ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing