Telefunken 12AX7 source to buy

F456GTM

VIP/Donor
Oct 21, 2015
Pinecrest, FL
My Uesugi preamplifier came from Japan with Matsushita 12AX7. I am trying to find a decent source for a sextet of Telefunken valves, they do not have to be the top of the line. Ebay has many sellers but it is a jungle out there, it would be like playing the lottery.

Any recommendations?

Cheers,

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Be aware that there are excellently counterfeit 12AX7 tubes in the market, even with the characteristic genuine diamond - as far as I read some factories producing tubes for Telefunken produced a similar double triode, not as valuable. and counterfeiters just relabel this tube and make perfect aged boxes-

I have a few sealed and wrapped PCC88 that I bough many years ago, but I do not sell them to any one as I can not be sure they are genuine ...

F456GTM

VIP/Donor
Oct 21, 2015
Pinecrest, FL
That’s why I posted the question. Like in every field, Rolex, Vuitton, etc, the counterfeit market is thriving like there is no tomorrow. Even appraisers at Christie’s or Sotheby’s are not safe anymore.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
You should drop a DM to @loki1957. A couple months ago I tested a whole bunch for him. He may have some to sell.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
You should drop a DM to @loki1957. A couple months ago I tested a whole bunch for him. He may have some to sell.

Just by curiosity, what are the typical current prices for genuine Telefunken 12AX7's?

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
It's a great tube and there are a LOT out there. I'm not sure there's really THAT much of a counterfeiting issue here, since there's so much of the genuine product available for a reasonable price out there. Yes, you want to see a "diamond" imprint in the glass base and also watch for Ei smooth plate types (which were made with the original Telefunken tooling) though they're not bad tubes either. The stakes are much higher with the 803S, warranting much more caution - but you didn't mention that "holy grail" tube specifically.

You should be able to find strong testing good Tele 12AX7 tubes, both types (smooth and ribbed plates), around and under $75 each. Maybe up to $100 a tube max. Audiogon, audio asylum classifieds, smaller scale tube sellers, and yes eBay. Or you could go to a bigger tube dealer and pay way more per tube, but IMO why not just buy extra cheap tubes and pick the winners? You'll usually end up way ahead. I've got about a dozen over the years and had one dud.

The ribbed plates are a little brighter but also a little more dynamic and engaging. The smooth plates are warmer. It's nice to have both on and just see which works best for you.

Reactions: thomask

F456GTM

VIP/Donor
Oct 21, 2015
Pinecrest, FL
I came back to valves barely a year ago. In the early sixties I had Telefunken, Amperex, Mullard..., at that time nobody cared about smooth or ribbed plates, people enjoyed the music, what I would call the ears minus the eyes the opposite of what is happening right now. Today, I would not recognize one from the other, they will rip me off.

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
Too good to be true?

No, not too good to be true. Those are genuine Tele ribbed plates. Good test #'s and seller has 100% feedback. Auction so we'll have to see where the price lands. I would guess ~90 a tube, 360.

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
Looks good to me. A calibrated TV7 is a good tester, and those are strong enough #'s for 12AX7. You're paying maybe a little bit of a premium, but the matching and boxes are nice bonus.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thanks for your time mate, I bought them.

Cheers,
I was going to post on how to check them, all I do now is wish you good luck.

Meanwhile try getting a tooth stick and a caliper! ;)

Last edited:

F456GTM

VIP/Donor
Oct 21, 2015
Pinecrest, FL
Anyway, go ahead, I will be glad to learn for a future purchase. Two safety clips are missing, any idea where to buy a pair? The Uesugi handicraft book has 434 pages of his designs including schematics, prints and in depth descriptions, but it is in Japanese.

Attachments

• IMG_3670_resize.JPG
    IMG_3670_resize.JPG
    549.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4811_2.JPG
    IMG_4811_2.JPG
    316.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing