Takatsuki TA-S01 300b amplifier

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Takatsuki released their own amplifier with their 300b and 274b type tubes. A new tube amp is not news however this looks like a very interesting amplifier with some unusual adjustments. There are knobs for adjusting harmonic content, selector for different combinations of coupling and bypass caps, a bypass power caps knob and a bias adjustment knob.

I love Takatsuki's tubes, respect their care for their products so I would love to try this unusual amp.

Here is the official link: Takatsuki TA-S01

Here are some photos I have taken from sis audio blog:

Attachments

• R1019867.JPG
    R1019867.JPG
    367.7 KB · Views: 70
  • R1019882.JPG
    R1019882.JPG
    388.8 KB · Views: 62
  • R1019862.JPG
    R1019862.JPG
    265.8 KB · Views: 66
  • R1019883.JPG
    R1019883.JPG
    484.1 KB · Views: 62
  • R1019858.JPG
    R1019858.JPG
    353.8 KB · Views: 66
Reactions: christoph

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
A new tube amp is not news however this looks like a very interesting amplifier with some unusual adjustments. There are knobs for adjusting harmonic content, selector for different combinations of coupling and bypass caps, a bypass power caps knob and a bias adjustment knob.
Looking at their site seems like they added tone controls and gave them fancy names.
david

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
The "Harmonic content" knob probably dials in 2nd harmonic distortion to taste. You can do this in a purely solid state implementation as well. See this. The SIT-1 also had a distortion dial. Being able to adjust coupling and bypass cap (values?) on the fly, I've never seen. That's a great subjectivist's sandbox.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
I would rather buy an amp that sounds right as it was designed. Any tweaking (should be subtle unless you made a bad choice) can be done with cables and tube ruling etc.

analogsa

Apr 15, 2017
Cascais
I would rather buy an amp that sounds right as it was designed. Any tweaking (should be subtle unless you made a bad choice) can be done with cables and tube ruling etc.

There is no real difference doing this by tweaking cables or tweaking cap choices. As the latter are not commonly within the end user's reach this obviously increases the flexibility. Indeed at the expense of an extra switch, but still a great and brave concept.

The idea that something can "sound right as it was designed" is only a fiction: it may have sounded right in the particular setup the designer used, but it may also sound pretty bad in a different setup.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I agree. If you're willing to use cables, roll tubes and who knows what else to tweak sound, then you should be open to these kinds of tweaks as well. There is no "right" way to design an amp. Leaving the final sonic result to the subjective preference of the end user makes sense to me. Unless doing so involves negative tradeoffs which could only be recovered by removing the flexibility.

Reactions: David Hyman

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
The "Harmonic content" knob probably dials in 2nd harmonic distortion to taste. You can do this in a purely solid state implementation as well. See this. The SIT-1 also had a distortion dial. Being able to adjust coupling and bypass cap (values?) on the fly, I've never seen. That's a great subjectivist's sandbox.

The SIT isn’t really a distortion dial, but allows easier speaker impedance matching

Reactions: David Hyman

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
The SIT isn’t really a distortion dial, but allows easier speaker impedance matching

Right. Just that Nelson advertised it as being a mechanism for arbitrarily altering the harmonic structure of the amp with no correct setting per se, only the setting that sounds best. I guess that's always true, and I have set 4 ohm / 8 ohm switches by ear rather than strict guidelines of truly matching speaker impedance.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
There is no real difference doing this by tweaking cables or tweaking cap choices. As the latter are not commonly within the end user's reach this obviously increases the flexibility. Indeed at the expense of an extra switch, but still a great and brave concept.

The idea that something can "sound right as it was designed" is only a fiction: it may have sounded right in the particular setup the designer used, but it may also sound pretty bad in a different setup.

Well I would say having a selector switching at very high voltage in a cap circuit is both dodgy and sonically a bad idea. Any switch is going to lead to degradation. If the cap choice is an idea, then unsolder the one in and fit a Duelund or whatever you fancy. Internal circuit options seem deft to me and counter intuitive. On if it sounds 'bad, in your setup, then I wouldn't recommend buying that amp.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Well I would say having a selector switching at very high voltage in a cap circuit is both dodgy and sonically a bad idea. Any switch is going to lead to degradation. If the cap choice is an idea, then unsolder the one in and fit a Duelund or whatever you fancy. Internal circuit options seem deft to me and counter intuitive. On if it sounds 'bad, in your setup, then I wouldn't recommend buying that amp.

Another example is negative feedback switches. I like the idea of making this user controlled as well. On the other hand, I really like an amp that sounds just right with no adjustments, and no tubes to consider rolling. That's part of the reason I went back to solid state. Less nervosa.

I'm assuming the switch relates to cathode resistor bypass, not super high voltage PSU caps.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Rather than comment on the features, let me comment on the amplifier's sound. While attending the Florida Audio Expo, I listened to the Takatsuki amplifier power a pair of Blumenofer Genuin FS 2 horn speakers. The digital front end was from a Japanese manufacturer-new to the US named Sforzato.

For starters, the amplifier is drop-dead gorgeous! I can only say that of all the rooms at the show (including all the big name, ultra high-dollar brands), to these ears none sounded more engaging and just plain right than this system. Paired with these appropriate loudspeakers, I suspect the Takatsuki amplifier had more than a little to do with the exquisite sound I experienced!

2022_02_18-FAE-01.jpg

Alex Sound Technology

Jun 27, 2022
Windermere, FLORIDA
alexsoundtech.com
Hi Gary!

And here we are, finally at the WBF!

I kept thinking how to start, what to tell about this unique amplifier?
You beat me to it. Thank you for the appreciation of our work at the Tampas audio expo!

Yes, I tried to make a system from the gear we brought that does not show its excellent technical characteristics, but simply plays music, showing human emotions.
The selection of brands was based specifically on the musical (not sound) quality.

However, for those who like to dig inside the Takatsuki amplifier, there is also something to see.

Alex.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Rather than comment on the features, let me comment on the amplifier's sound. While attending the Florida Audio Expo, I listened to the Takatsuki amplifier power a pair of Blumenofer Genuin FS 2 horn speakers. The digital front end was from a Japanese manufacturer-new to the US named Sforzato.

For starters, the amplifier is drop-dead gorgeous! I can only say that of all the rooms at the show (including all the big name, ultra high-dollar brands), to these ears none sounded more engaging and just plain right than this system. Paired with these appropriate loudspeakers, I suspect the Takatsuki amplifier had more than a little to do with the exquisite sound I experienced!

View attachment 95034
I must admit that this amp must be very special if gleeds who represents another brand of amplifier lauded the Takatsuki amp aa well as Alex' room at the Florida show as being the Best In Show

Reactions: Pancho

Pancho

Jun 14, 2020

View attachment 95034
I am one of the early owners of this beautiful unit. I have closely liaised with the factory in Japan - had it not been for the pandemic - this would have hit world centre stage two years back. Looks like they chose to go for soft launch at select markets - one by one. The build quality is superb. The aesthetics - it’s a classic - kind of vintage design - and I can sit looking at it for hours and admire its beauty.

The sound quality - it is paired with Tannoy Kensingtons in my simple set up which is purely digital streaming - sound is real - authentic & full - with soul filling lovely mids and lows. I don’t use a pre-amp with it currently - so how much high volume one can get - that will depend upon individual listening genre and habits I suppose… it does not play blazingly loud - it is a 300B unit - however delivers audiophile grade and addictive sound. Feed it good quality tracks - and it plays beautifully. I can add that after getting this unit - I had no hesitation to put up my 5 month old over priced and expensive Accuphase pre and power units up for sale …never going back to them.

anyone considering the unit - would be a proud owner…it’s keeper. I will attach some of the pics I’ve taken.

Cheers!

* edited the loudness point!

Attachments

• 53D39456-56B2-48DB-9D7E-1524CF5CB826.jpeg
    53D39456-56B2-48DB-9D7E-1524CF5CB826.jpeg
    527 KB · Views: 25
  • 91B7FEF1-D38E-4788-A44E-990ED5528A2D.jpeg
    91B7FEF1-D38E-4788-A44E-990ED5528A2D.jpeg
    427.6 KB · Views: 22
  • B97B0F07-CC44-46E4-9D1E-14F10C85E5DC.jpeg
    B97B0F07-CC44-46E4-9D1E-14F10C85E5DC.jpeg
    660.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 639FFCAF-6194-4969-8B34-2CF083FC7943.jpeg
    639FFCAF-6194-4969-8B34-2CF083FC7943.jpeg
    630.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 374921D5-1F6C-41EF-B200-8BA9B4A094B6.jpeg
    374921D5-1F6C-41EF-B200-8BA9B4A094B6.jpeg
    733.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Alex Sound Technology

Jun 27, 2022
Windermere, FLORIDA
alexsoundtech.com
Thank you Pancho for sharing your experience!
Yes it is. This amplifier impressed me also.
After over 30 years of working with a 300B tubes in various designs, I did not expect to hear from a single 300B tube (8W) the perfect control of the speakers with 12" paper woofer, although 94 dB efficiency.
It really sounds very musical and impressive.

Reactions: Steve Williams

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing