SXSW Audio Show in Dallas TX - Who's Going?

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Greetings All,

After many years of having only the local Lone Star Show in Dallas, Gary Gill and Lou Hinkley have joined forces yet again to launch the SXSW Audio Show. It will be March 15-17 at the Anatole Hilton in Dallas TX.

Who is planning to attend? (I will of course be attending)

379465458_747044270767453_5556552362837765896_n.jpg

davidavdavid

Jun 30, 2014
Columbus, Ohio, USA
david.com
I reckon until Capital Audio Fest is over in mid-November, the folks behind the SouthWest Audio Feast have their hands full.
Sandwiched between Florida Audio Expo and AXPONA, it is bang, bang, band out of the gate for HiFi Shows in 2024.

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
I'll be there for sure!

George

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Believe High Fidelity will be in attendance at the SWAF next week. We will have some some exceptional gear at the show this year.

Sources

Pink Faun:

• Ultra Music Server (in dual ultra "Ultra X" configuration)
Torqueo Audio:

• T-34 Titanium Edition Turntable
Origin Live:

• Reknown Tonearm 12in
Top Wing:

• Suzaku “Red Sparrow”
  • Seiryu “Blue Dragon”
Front End

Aries Cerat:

• Kassandra II Limited Edition DAC MkII
  • Impera II Limited Edition Preamplifier
  • Talos II Limited Edition Phonostage
  • Geminae Ianus Edition Dual Mono Amplification
  • Genus Integrated Amplifier
  • Helene Prestige DAC
Speakers

JWM Acoustics:

• AMLPRO Be
  • Alyson SE Blackburn Edition
  • Kevin LR Piston subs

System Support

JWM Acoustics:

Jonathan rack

Acoustic Fields:

ACDA Panels

Vermouth Audio:

• Statement Series Analog Interconnects
  • Reference Series Speaker Cables
  • Reference Series Analog Interconnects RCA
  • Reference Series Power Cables
  • Reference Series USB
  • Reference Series 6 outlet Power distribution
  • Black Pearl Analog Interconnects
  • VLAD Interconnects
  • VLAD Power Cables
PS Audio:

P20 Power Conditioner

Kirmuss Audio:

Ultrasonic Restoration System

Hope to see of you folks there. Stop by and say hello!

SWAF Flyer.png

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
I'm still debating going. I have a room at the hotel but haven't decided yet, frankly, if it's worth the cost for a civilian who's been to the Florida show and will be at AXPONA.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Hard to say being a new show to determine what is worth it or not, but I hope you decide to come

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Hard to say being a new show to determine what is worth it or not, but I hope you decide to come
I would like to, but I usually try to make CAF, so at $1K+ a pop for these shows it adds up for a guy on a pension. ;)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
At the Southwest Audio Fest, at 11:00 AM on Saturday, I will be moderating a panel discussion about field coil drivers with Ken Songer of Songer Audio and John Wolff of Classic Audio.

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
At the Southwest Audio Fest, at 11:00 AM on Saturday, I will be moderating a panel discussion about field coil drivers with Ken Songer of Songer Audio
and John Wolff of Classic Audio.
That’d be great to hear. Will you be recording and sharing that Ron?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That’d be great to hear. Will you be recording and sharing that Ron?
I don't know. I hope so.

I'm discussing with Gary Gill if he will have any video recording ability for the panel discussion.

Of course I can provide the fixed video camera. But I have only my two Sennheiser wireless lapel microphones for the audio for the panelists and me. I don't know how to mic three people with two lapel mics.

Last edited:

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
I was planning on going (was looking very forward to it) but my workload states otherwise. I wanted to meet Gary and Jonny, along with seeing some of the other great members of this forum who I know will be attending. @Believe High Fidelity - Joshua is a good friend of mine. I'm glad to see you are utilizing his speakers!

It will be nice to see what people post about the show, what the atmosphere and traffic is like and if it was a "fun" show or hectic. I'll have to live vicariously through posts on this one, unfortunately.

I'd also like to give a shout out to Jonny. He's the owner of Snake River Audio. I stumbled on his cables last year and am a VERY satisfied customer. Plus, He's one cool cat. He'll be down at booth 1, if I am not mistaken. If you have the time, check out what he has to offer, it would be worth your time IMO/IME.

Tom

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I don't know. I hope so.

I'm discussing with Gary Gill if he will have any video recording ability for the panel discussion.

Of course I can provide the fixed video camera. But I have only my two Sennheiser wireless lapel microphones for the audio for the panelists and me. I don't know how to mic three people with two lapel mics.
That’d be brilliant, it’s a really interesting area of speaker design.

I use a USB table boundary mic that acts like a conference mic when I’ve got a small group of design students together and its quite ok up for up to a few metres and it’s good for broadcasting a live session for online teaching but it may not be directional enough if there’s a fair bit of room noise where it’d definitely pick all that up.

Not sure if this helps at all or how your sennheiser mics are setup (so might not be useful) but I have used a simple Iphone setup with 2 lapel mics ( wired Rode lapel mics) for recording a guest designer in class where both Rode mics fed into a really small line level mixer box that then is line level into the phone… I wonder if there’s a simple small camera mic line level mixer box that allows you to combine two mics on one channel so you could add an additional mic in on the other… perhaps just another inexpensive wired lapel mic used on whoever is sitting closest to the camera.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That’d be brilliant, it’s a really interesting area of speaker design.

I use a USB table boundary mic that acts like a conference mic when I’ve got a small group of design students together and its quite ok up for up to a few metres and it’s good for broadcasting a live session for online teaching but it may not be directional enough if there’s a fair bit of room noise where it’d definitely pick all that up.

Not sure if this helps at all or how your sennheiser mics are setup (so might not be useful) but I have used a simple Iphone setup with 2 lapel mics ( wired Rode lapel mics) for recording a guest designer in class where both Rode mics fed into a really small line level mixer box that then is line level into the phone… I wonder if there’s a simple small camera mic line level mixer box that allows you to combine two mics on one channel so you could add an additional mic in on the other… perhaps just another inexpensive wired lapel mic used on whoever is sitting closest to the camera.

Three lapel mics is an ideal solution. But it's a little complicated with the mixing box and all.

I use the Sennheiser AVX lapel mic system, which is fantastic. I realized that instead of plugging a lapel mic into one of the remote body packs, I simply can plug-in a desk mic.

So I will have one lapel mic on me, and Ken and John can share a conventional XLR cardioid desk mic sitting between them and connected wirelessly to the AVX system on my video camera using my existing AVX body pack transmitter.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
I will be there. Hopefully on the 15th. Should be there the entire weekend.

CJmooney

Feb 5, 2021
I'll be attending along with audiophile buddies from Omaha and Scottsdale. I'm hoping to evaluate and am interested in:

1. Optical phono cartridges
2. R2R and tapes
3. 75 ohm Digital clock cables
4. Synergistic Research Streamer
5. New music
6. Clarysis speakers
7. Downtown Dallas restaurant scene

I may be able to attend the Songer field coil discussion. Sounds like fun!

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Three lapel mics is an ideal solution. But it's a little complicated with the mixing box and all.

I use the Sennheiser AVX lapel mic system, which is fantastic. I realized that instead of plugging a lapel mic into one of the remote body packs, I simply can plug-in a desk mic.

So I will have one lapel mic on me, and Ken and John can share a conventional XLR cardioid desk mic sitting between them and connected wirelessly to the AVX system on my video camera using my existing AVX body pack transmitter.
That’s great Ron, am very much subscribed and have enjoyed all your videos and looking forward to the field coil panel discussion in particular. Ken’s new work seems amazing and John’s recent tungar power supplies look fantastic also. Should be a great meeting of field coil design minds.

Norman Tracy

Mar 9, 2024
Tulsa, Oklahoma USA
Hello What's Best Forum,

Looking forward to seeing you at SWAF 2024. Drop by our table Marketplace Booth #5, meet, greet, and talk HiFi. Bryan Miller of Miller Audio LLC will have his modified Dynaco ST-70 amps and components on display. My company's' Audio Crafters Guild and PureArtFi will display models of our high performance monitor speakers, Panzerholz parts, and Carbide Audio's Base multi-axis vibration isolation feet. My R&D during 2023 using Panzerholz for speaker baffles was such a success at SWAF we will add equipment platforms, racks, and custom turntable plinths.

A good review of Miller Audio's modified Dynaco ST-70 amp has just been published on Jay's iyagi Youtube channel. Bryan's modifications bring this classic to modern standards, a great sounding option in a very manageable cost and form factor.

SWAF exhibitors list web page :Exhibitors List SWAF 2024

SWAF Show directory as PDF download: SWAF 2024 Directory

Last year when Lou and Gary announced adding a Dallas show there were questions if it would gain traction. With the exhibitors list published containing 50+ companies that will exhibit at the inaugural SWAF traction has been found. It appears systems and equipment to be displayed spans from high value to cost no object statement systems.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing