STACKED PAIRS OF ESL-57's WITH SUPERTWEETERS - ANYONE STILL HEARS THESE SPEAKERS?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I think it depends. Stacks Quads are basically large MTMs. Sit too close and elements are presented too large. They need a bit of distance to cohere and balance. Coloured or not, with the right amps tone can be heavenly. Is it my thing? No, I like my imaging neater (single pairs) and I have a tendency to go nuts with the volume control more often than I should, which a single pair can't handle. However, I can certainly understand why they appeal to so many.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I think it depends. Stacks Quads are basically large MTMs. Sit too close and elements are presented too large. They need a bit of distance to cohere and balance. Coloured or not, with the right amps tone can be heavenly. Is it my thing? No, I like my imaging neater (single pairs) and I have a tendency to go nuts with the volume control more often than I should, which a single pair can't handle. However, I can certainly understand why they appeal to so many.

Jack,

The stacked ESL57 will behave as a 5 feet linear source, and as you say needs some distance to sound balanced. Curiously the best memories I have them (I never owned the HQD, as I did not have the space, but got the Q stack with the Mark Levinson designed thick wood frame), come from ECM recordings - the vibraphone of Gary Burton and many other ECM instrumental recordings filled my space with astonishing timbre and life like colors. Gary Burton "Passengers" opening bars never sounded the same!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Very interesting accompanying story!

Great story - thanks for pointing its interest.

I still own a Dahlquist DQ LP1 Electronic Crossover - at that time I could not afford the very expensive Mark Levinson crosovers!

drunkenrabbit

Dec 1, 2013
Sydney, Aus
I like my ESL's and have heard stacked pairs in the past +/- subs. I suggest that the 2905 (when they are working - QC is a problem) is a better overall (more coherent) speaker than stacked ESL's . But there is something about the mids of the original ESL's that for certain music - vocal / instruments at moderate SPL that is very addictive. I mainly listen to classical & some jazz - and their shortcomings are easily forgiven. I sold my 2905's (after constant probelems with them) and am back with the original ESL (my third pair) as I feel they offer so very much, for so very little.

If you listen to rock, pop or electronica then I wouldn't advocate Quad 57's. They simply are not suited to that style of music.

FWIW I agree with the OP - Croft and Quad ESL go together very well (not surprising given that is what Glenn uses himself). @ OP find some Mullard 8133 NOS - they work tremendously with Glenn's amps.

Jack,

The stacked ESL57 will behave as a 5 feet linear source, and as you say needs some distance to sound balanced. Curiously the best memories I have them (I never owned the HQD, as I did not have the space, but got the Q stack with the Mark Levinson designed thick wood frame), come from ECM recordings - the vibraphone of Gary Burton and many other ECM instrumental recordings filled my space with astonishing timbre and life like colors. Gary Burton "Passengers" opening bars never sounded the same!

Yes, they need some distance; here I am 13,45 ft. from the "stand" e with 1,5 ft behind the "stack", and yes, with vibraphones the things realy sing; tehy specially like Milt Jackson vibes...

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I have plans to set up my double Quads. Right now, they have been plugged in for about one week to charge up the capacitors. They have been in storage for almost three years already.

Paul49720

Oct 7, 2020
London
I like my ESL's and have heard stacked pairs in the past +/- subs. I suggest that the 2905 (when they are working - QC is a problem) is a better overall (more coherent) speaker than stacked ESL's . But there is something about the mids of the original ESL's that for certain music - vocal / instruments at moderate SPL that is very addictive. I mainly listen to classical & some jazz - and their shortcomings are easily forgiven. I sold my 2905's (after constant probelems with them) and am back with the original ESL (my third pair) as I feel they offer so very much, for so very little.

If you listen to rock, pop or electronica then I wouldn't advocate Quad 57's. They simply are not suited to that style of music.

FWIW I agree with the OP - Croft and Quad ESL go together very well (not surprising given that is what Glenn uses himself). @ OP find some Mullard 8133 NOS - they work tremendously with Glenn's amps.

Hello, I have one of Glenn's preamps and I looked for your recommended "Mullard 8133" but could find no reference. Would you kindly confirm this IS a Mullard number and perhaps send a link to a source ? Many thanks.

On the ESL57 front, I recently took delivery of rebuilt panels and electronics from ElectroStatic Solutions, St. Louis, MO. Sensitivity is up to around 86 / 87 dB and I am running them with my Yamamoto 4w SET (ADI valves) with matching loudness at same volume pot setting as for Quad 303 ! They sound sublime. I added Townshend Super Tweeters yesterday and that lifted the magic with air and space and the tendency of 2d planar character opened out into the ether of 3d --front to back-- space.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing