Spectral with Transparent Cabling

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I am toying with the idea of trying out a Spectral DMC 30SL preamp. I know Spectral prescribes MIT cabling. Can I use Transparent cabling as well? I presume the network filters work more or less the same.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The cabling requirement is strictly prescribed for the amps, if you have one; not the preamp. If you want to use networked cabling still, suggest you stay with MIT - they are the clear leader and innovator in this field, with numerous patents, and of which, the expired ones have now made it into Transparent (like this one with the in-series inductor to filter UHF). I don't believe Transparent has any patents. Lately, I am paying a lot of attention to this MIT patent which is the basis of the so-called articulation poles they tout. I will post thoughts on all their patents in due time, but based on the new MIT cables I am evaluating, they actually appear to work. Having said that, there are some other really silly patents, like this one, and if memory serves me right based on a Transparent speaker cable I had long long time ago, that also was copied in part into the then-current Transparent cable (it just so happens that their network boxes back then were easy to open). But it is also true I have not heard recent Transparent offerings either.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
The cabling requirement is strictly prescribed for the amps, if you have one; not the preamp. If you want to use networked cabling still, suggest you stay with MIT - they are the clear leader and innovator in this field, with numerous patents, and of which, the expired ones have now made it into Transparent (like this one with the in-series inductor to filter UHF). I don't believe Transparent has any patents. Lately, I am paying a lot of attention to this MIT patent which is the basis of the so-called articulation poles they tout. I will post thoughts on all their patents in due time, but based on the new MIT cables I am evaluating, they actually appear to work. Having said that, there are some other really silly patents, like this one, and if memory serves me right based on a Transparent speaker cable I had long long time ago, that also was copied in part into the then-current Transparent cable (it just so happens that their network boxes back then were easy to open). But it is also true I have not heard recent Transparent offerings either.

Thanks. That is all I need to know. I just want to try the DMC 30SL (I may be able to get my hands on one cheaply) use my existing Transparent cabling, and be sure I won't be blowing up any equipment in the process. This does not appear to be a risk. I have class A monoblocks, no spectral amps.

chrisr

Member Sponsor
Aug 29, 2011
Chicago area
Ack, don't pay too much attention to that MIT patent 6,658,119 -- it expired in January 2012 for failure to pay a maintenance fee. They let the child patent 7,242,780 go abandoned as well by failling to pay a maintenance fee in 2011. Both technologies are now in the public domain.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Very interesting... thanks! With plenty of life yet to it (granted in 2003), why would they do it... I am involved in private discussions with others here about this patent, its true merit and the whole articulation thing, and this definitely raises some eyebrows...

chrisr

Member Sponsor
Aug 29, 2011
Chicago area
Could be any number of reasons. After a very quick look, it looks like they are letting other articulation network patent applications go too:
Serial no. 12/271,930 - abandoned 2011
Serial no. 11/619,848 - abandoned 2011

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing