Shunyata Venom USB Cable Review

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Caelin sent me a Venom USB cable to try and he asked that I share some thoughts on the sound. For this test, I had the Light Harmonic Lightspeed, Audioquest Diamond, and the Venom USB on hand. Previously I have tried the Wireworld Starlight and Platinum Starlight and the Chord and a Belkin Gold cable. But in each case I found the Audioquest Diamond and Lightspeed were better. In each comparison I did, I waited until I had at least 250 hours on burn-in on them. I gently treated each connector with Caig ProGold which I find works really well.

For my listening I have been running two music servers, each running Amarra 2.6: a mac mini and a recent macbook pro. Audio files were done by a common "playlist" which consisted of classical, jazz, and rock hirez and 16 bit files, in FLAC, WAV and AIFF data formats.

DACs included the Benchmark DAC1, the Benchmark DAC1 Pre, and the Benchmark DAC2 HGC which I had on loan. In the case of the first two I used a Musical Fidelity V-Link 192 to convert to SPDIF for better sound quality and the SPDIF cable was Chris Sommovigo's excellent Ultra XV cable. For the DAC2, we went straight into the asynchronous USB input. All devices were plugged into a Venom PS8 with a Shunyata HC cord to the wall.

USB cable differences are real yet hard to explain definitively but my hope is that my sharing of honest impressions doesn't get derailed by such a religious debate. Gordon Rankin has noticed less processor intensity on the better cables but I don't believe anyone has fully figured things out on the cause of sound differences.

In each comparison I did I keep "all else equal" and only substituted the three cables. Here are my impressions based on listening to my surprisingly revealing Maggies:

**Audioquest Diamond - a long term reference of mine for USB cables, this has a generous helping of musical detail but is quite smooth on the top end which is something the lesser cables don't always do well. It also has lots of extension on top and is not rolled off compared to others. The opening to Alison Krauss' title track on Paper Airplane (24/96), the string instruments have all the right "body" to them and it just sounds very, very natural for digital. Lots of good low end weight as well.

**Shunyata Venom USB - very close in signature to the Diamond. Tons of clarity which I like, very smooth on top. Lots of good low end as well compared to the Diamond. I'm not sure I could pass a blind A/B test between these two cables. I really liked this cable and frankly was surprised it came so close to the Diamond. Another winner from Shunyata. There may be a slight bit more detail on some tracks with the Diamond but if so only on the order of a few percent.

**Lightspeed by Light Harmonic - this has a very distinct signature. It's more of a Row P perspective than the Row H of the Venom or Diamond. It has a smoothness to it which I think some may like as it is sounds very analog. However, it doesn't have the detail I like on the Venom or Diamond cables. On Alison's vocals, I don't hear enough of the detail so the illusion of her being here is not as great. I like a generous helping of detail provided it is musical and not etched. For me, this cable gave up a bit too much in detail for smoothness but I can see why so many like it.

If I had to rank these, the Diamond would be #1, the Venom a very close #2, and the Lightspeed #3. However, each of these cables is excellent.

The deal of course is the Venom which I assume will be priced very reasonably while the other two are pricey. The Diamond is $700 and the Lightspeed in this length is $1,400 although LH is introducing more affordable cables as noted in the Geek Pulse crowd funding.

I hope these impressions are valuable to you. :)

P.S. The Atlanta Audio Club will be having a DSD and PCM digital meeting on Sunday the 19th so any locals are encouraged to attend and I will likely have the Venom USB on hand for the playback. We may also the MSB Analog DAC and a Berkeley Alpha DAC (latest version) on hand.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Caelin sent me a Venom USB cable to try and he asked that I share some thoughts on the sound. For this test, I had the Light Harmonic Lightspeed, Audioquest Diamond, and the Venom USB on hand. Previously I have tried the Wireworld Starlight and Platinum Starlight and the Chord and a Belkin Gold cable. But in each case I found the Audioquest Diamond and Lightspeed were better. In each comparison I did, I waited until I had at least 250 hours on burn-in on them. I gently treated each connector with Caig ProGold which I find works really well.

For my listening I have been running two music servers, each running Amarra 2.6: a mac mini and a recent macbook pro. Audio files were done by a common "playlist" which consisted of classical, jazz, and rock hirez and 16 bit files, in FLAC, WAV and AIFF data formats.

DACs included the Benchmark DAC1, the Benchmark DAC1 Pre, and the Benchmark DAC2 HGC which I had on loan. In the case of the first two I used a Musical Fidelity V-Link 192 to convert to SPDIF for better sound quality and the SPDIF cable was Chris Sommovigo's excellent Ultra XV cable. For the DAC2, we went straight into the asynchronous USB input. All devices were plugged into a Venom PS8 with a Shunyata HC cord to the wall.

USB cable differences are real yet hard to explain definitively but my hope is that my sharing of honest impressions doesn't get derailed by such a religious debate. Gordon Rankin has noticed less processor intensity on the better cables but I don't believe anyone has fully figured things out on the cause of sound differences.

In each comparison I did I keep "all else equal" and only substituted the three cables. Here are my impressions based on listening to my surprisingly revealing Maggies:

**Audioquest Diamond - a long term reference of mine for USB cables, this has a generous helping of musical detail but is quite smooth on the top end which is something the lesser cables don't always do well. It also has lots of extension on top and is not rolled off compared to others. The opening to Alison Krauss' title track on Paper Airplane (24/96), the string instruments have all the right "body" to them and it just sounds very, very natural for digital. Lots of good low end weight as well.

**Shunyata Venom USB - very close in signature to the Diamond. Tons of clarity which I like, very smooth on top. Lots of good low end as well compared to the Diamond. I'm not sure I could pass a blind A/B test between these two cables. I really liked this cable and frankly was surprised it came so close to the Diamond. Another winner from Shunyata. There may be a slight bit more detail on some tracks with the Diamond but if so only on the order of a few percent.

**Lightspeed by Light Harmonic - this has a very distinct signature. It's more of a Row P perspective than the Row H of the Venom or Diamond. It has a smoothness to it which I think some may like as it is sounds very analog. However, it doesn't have the detail I like on the Venom or Diamond cables. On Alison's vocals, I don't hear enough of the detail so the illusion of her being here is not as great. I like a generous helping of detail provided it is musical and not etched. For me, this cable gave up a bit too much in detail for smoothness but I can see why so many like it.

If I had to rank these, the Diamond would be #1, the Venom a very close #2, and the Lightspeed #3. However, each of these cables is excellent.

The deal of course is the Venom which I assume will be priced very reasonably while the other two are pricey. The Diamond is $700 and the Lightspeed in this length is $1,400 although LH is introducing more affordable cables as noted in the Geek Pulse crowd funding.

I hope these impressions are valuable to you. :)

P.S. The Atlanta Audio Club will be having a DSD and PCM digital meeting on Sunday the 19th so any locals are encouraged to attend and I will likely have the Venom USB on hand for the playback. We may also the MSB Analog DAC and a Berkeley Alpha DAC (latest version) on hand.

Where is the meeting? If I can make it, I can bring a wireworld platinum starlight usb, another "usual suspect" in "best USB cable" shootouts.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Where is the meeting? If I can make it, I can bring a wireworld platinum starlight usb, another "usual suspect" in "best USB cable" shootouts.

On Sugarloaf on west side of I-85, close to I-85 at Virtual Properties Realty, 2-5pm. We have a busy program so I am not sure we have time in the schedule for USB cable comparisons.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I can't make up mind if I need a 'better' USB cable or not. Currently, I am using whatever cable comes with a HD. It attaches the HD to the Bryston BDP1 digital file player. The Bryston reads the file into memory, and then plays it from memory, so I'm not sure a better USB would help or not.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
In general audiophile usage, I think "USB cable" refers to the cable connecting the file source (server) to the DAC.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I can't make up mind if I need a 'better' USB cable or not. Currently, I am using whatever cable comes with a HD. It attaches the HD to the Bryston BDP1 digital file player. The Bryston reads the file into memory, and then plays it from memory, so I'm not sure a better USB would help or not.

Couple of ideas. #1: Buy a Venom USB and try it. I think they are just around $300 but Caelin may need to comment on that. #2: Borrow a good one from a local high end dealer and try it.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Couple of ideas. #1: Buy a Venom USB and try it. I think they are just around $300 but Caelin may need to comment on that. #2: Borrow a good one from a local high end dealer and try it.
It might be hard to borrow one, I think it would be unusual to have that type of cable (mini-B USB connector or something? I'm not sure) lying around or even in stock at all?

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
It might be hard to borrow one, I think it would be unusual to have that type of cable (mini-B USB connector or something? I'm not sure) lying around or even in stock at all?

It's a standard A type to B type USB cable. Once stock ships out I would think a Shunyata dealer would have it. Try The Cable Company as well.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
It's a standard A type to B type USB cable. Once stock ships out I would think a Shunyata dealer would have it. Try The Cable Company as well.
I think you need to read post #4 again ;)

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
bluefox is wondering whether he "needs" a new cable to connect his hard drive to his BDP (a memory player). That's certainly not a standard USB "A" to "B" cable (it's mini-B or micro-B I think), and more to the point whether a "better" cable would even matter in that position.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
bluefox is wondering whether he "needs" a new cable to connect his hard drive to his BDP (a memory player). That's certainly not a standard USB "A" to "B" cable (it's mini-B or micro-B I think), and more to the point whether a "better" cable would even matter in that position.

Yes. These USB cable connections are confusing. When you look at the picture of the USB cables for sale in an Audio Advisor catalog, they all look like the cable that fits on the hard drive at one end and a regular USB at the other end. It is kind of stupid to have a 'B' connector, and a mini 'B' that looks the same.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

Okay, I was responding to your question, not responding to Bluefox. I'm not sure how to respond to Bluefox. There are quality mini type cables available because a few DACs require them like the exasound but I don't have experience on the hard drive connection side. My experience is between the computer and DAC and/or SPDIF converter. I don't yet have 1T ripped yet so it all fits on my personal laptop for now.

Perhaps those with large collections on external drives here can weigh in. With a memory player I'm not sure it would matter but who knows.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Ok, we're going around in circles. I never had a question except for you to explain your response to Bluefox (post #6)

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Oh I see, I guess my original response to Bluefox assumed he needed a computer to DAC cable. His focus on HD hookups was so out of left field that I missed it on the first go-around.

I think the best thing would be for Bluefox to start a thread in the computer audio forum.

My bet would be the USB on the DAC is by far more important.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Oh I see, I guess my original response to Bluefox assumed he needed a computer to DAC cable. His focus on HD hookups was so out of left field that I missed it on the first go-around.

I think the best thing would be for Bluefox to start a thread in the computer audio forum.

My bet would be the USB on the DAC is by far more important.

Lee, now you have gone and done it. The Computer Audio Police will be knocking on your door.

Since they claim that different hard drive brands, OS updates, USB ports, FILE formats, and playback software sound vastly different, the cable connecting the hard drive must be cryo'd, wrapped in silk, and be approved by the committee. Stock hard drive cable? Hah!

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Lee, now you have gone and done it. The Computer Audio Police will be knocking on your door.

Since they claim that different hard drive brands, OS updates, USB ports, FILE formats, and playback software sound vastly different, the cable connecting the hard drive must be cryo'd, wrapped in silk, and be approved by the committee. Stock hard drive cable? Hah!

LOL! I hope they don't strangle me with a Thunderbolt cable made of gold and silver. :)

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
LOL! I hope they don't strangle me with a Thunderbolt cable made of gold and silver. :)

Honestly with all the computer audio tom-foolery the one that confounds me the most is those that claim they can hear differences between hard drives. I find this absurd as files are buffered into memory. It never ends.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Honestly with all the computer audio tom-foolery the one that confounds me the most is those that claim they can hear differences between hard drives. I find this absurd as files are buffered into memory. It never ends.

That's a tough one for me to swallow as well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing