Seeking a pre amp for both DAC and Turntable

Davefromlondon

Mar 2, 2020
im seeking a good pre amp ($1000 budget ) for my topping D50 dac and Turntable (required separate pre amp ) so I can switch between the two. Any suggestions ?

Site7000

Jul 16, 2011
You are clearly a candidate for pre-owned gear. The only complication is the phono preamp, preferably moving-coil ready. I suggest buying gear that's reasonably current. I'm not a proponent of vintage gear, although some people like it. Go with entry-level pieces from proven, top-quality companies, like PS Audio. My own heresy is that within a given sound-quality-price tier, it's fair to take note of the looks as well. Check out the re-sales websites and see what attracts you, then ask about it here.

Davefromlondon

Mar 2, 2020
So I probably didn’t phrase the question correctly, I have a decent sounding digital setup, iPad into Topping dac into small Mackie line mixer and out to powered speakers (adr eona) . Sounds great, speakers $3k each and great. . I seek to add a turntable and gram amp phono pre amp. My question is...do I simply hook up the phono pre amp to the mackie line mixer , which has multiple inputs , or is their a better device than the mackie mixer . So ..2 inputs , dac and phono preamp.... need both to go into same “device” then out to powered speakers (with no volume control ) , what is best “device “

Site7000

Jul 16, 2011
I am not familiar with Mackie mixers, but it might accomplish what you want. I assume the Mackie will let you select just one input to play and that it will handle the overall volume (or if you're lucky, set volume independently for the DAC and phono inputs). The turntable + phone preamp would just become an alternative input source. As long as the Mackie will let you adjust volume and select inputs, that's all you need. Of course, a hi-fi preamp might sound better, but I don't know that for sure. Give it a try and see if it works.

If the Mackie won't let you control volume, then you need a preamp because I doubt the phono-preamp will have a volume control.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It might be out of your pice range, even used, but the Aesthetix Io with volume controls has one phono input and one pre-amplified line stage input.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
looking on-line at Mackie mixers, there are a few. what you need is a 'line level' input compatible with the phono pre you purchase. the inputs on the Mackie appear to be all (pro-level) XLR, most phono preamps are RCA. rca <->xlr converters are easily found. the only question would be are those inputs consumer 'line level' or +6db pro level? this could wreak havoc with the phono pre output, but might be just fine. hard to know ahead of time.

tell us which Mackie mixer you have so we can see what is going on.

one cheap solution to this dilemma would be to find a home theater processor with a good analog 2 channel preamp. you can find well built fairly expensive HT processors with great sounding preamps in them cheap right now since HT technology has passed them by. yet for 2 channel music they are outstanding, and some have great dacs in them too. if you find one you can research any reviews and typically their analog preamp performance is addressed.

personally i just sold my 10 year old $3500 new Cary 11a HT processor for $300. this had a great sounding 2 channel preamp and nice dac. but the used marketplace viewed it as an expensive door stop. i had upgraded to a Dolby Atmos level HT processor for my separate Home Theatre and the Cary was dead weight and taking up space. btw; most of these HT processors would have a 2-channel pass thru for your Mackie so it would be compatible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alrainbow

Davefromlondon

Mar 2, 2020
thanks guys.
here is what I have at the moment:
High End Powered Speakers - ADR Eona 103 (Meyer equivalent) . I paid about $3k each when I was a DJ. They are now in my home (on low) , i'm more than happy with these for my digital setup but its analog I'm adding, hence the post

I have an IPAD into bluetooth 5 Topping 50 DAC , into Mackie 802 VLZ 3 small band Mixer (also from my DJ days) . As mentioned, I'm happy, the digital sound is great.

I have a Turntable that I know needs replacing, its a Numark TT 1625, I recently added an Ortofon Concorde MK2 Club cartridge, $180. I also recently bought a Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 SE Phono pre-amp $400., this replaced a dj denon phono preamp before. I must say, the new cart & phone pre-amp has made a big difference.

my vinyl was all bought used in 2003 and it’s mainly 70s, 80s and some 60s. I have about 400 albums, I’m noticing a huge difference in sound quality, some of my vinyl sounds as good as my digital ( which I’m happy with ) but most records have a distinct loss of sound quality compared to the good ones. I realize there are differences in quality of vinyl and recording and condition but I’m trying to decide do I upgrade my mackie ( looking at luminous audio $200 to $1000) and or do I replace my turntable, (looking at Marantz TT 15S1).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing