Sad news : Montserrat Figueras has died

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I was sad to learn a few minutes ago that Montserrat Figueras died today at the age of 69. The Catalan soprano, that I had the pleasure to listen in recital with her husband Jordi Savall, had been part of my musical life for more than 30 years. In fact, my first LP of Early Music was bought around 1980 during a trip to Andorra, a small country 200 km distant from Barcelona, the home of the diva. This LP, entitled “Le Llibre Vermeil de Monserrat”, was the start of a long exploration of the early music, that lasts until today. Since the later CD version of this recording had the picture of big pink rose in the cover, my young child who also listened to it often (there was no dedicated listening room at that time) just called it the “Record of the Lady of the Rose”.

Recordings of Montserrat Figueras, Jordi Savall and their ensemble Hespèrion XX (that later become Hespèrion XXI) became a large and treasured part of my library – I can say with confidence that their recordings exceed in number the works of any other author or composer.

Unhappily, the last time I was at a recital of Hespèrion XXI, some months ago, she did not appear. They played “Istambul” of Dmitrie Cantemir: "The Book of Science of Music"" and the Sephardic and Armenian Traditions. However, recently I got her wonderful recording of 2006 “Lux Feminae”, an homage to light of the Woman, and her voice will stay with me for long. Montserrat Figueras was an exquisite soprano but was also an woman of rare beauty – now that she has left us, we have her voice to remember her.

Attachments

• aaa.jpg
    aaa.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 584
  • aa1..jpg
    aa1..jpg
    362.1 KB · Views: 1,208
Last edited:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Micro-Beautiful remembrance. I find your words touching and I plan on listening to one of her albums to see if it's for me. I have never been a fan of opera, but I will give it another try.

Mark

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
A good intro into opera for people who might have trouble with the female voices, is to try something with Kiri Te Kanawa. A very rich, warm voice, the Cleo Lane of opera. But then again, I might be prejudiced, my wife is Kiwi, NZ, like Kiri, and a great fan of hers, heavy exposure as a result!!

Frank

I thought this thread was mourning the passing of someone special not a referral to listen to someone else

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing