Royal Gala Ballet: 9 x 45 RPM Clarity vs 5 x 45 RPM Analogue Productions

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a copy of the Royal Ballet Gala Performances, and I'm trying to decide between the Classic Records 45RPM 9 single-sided LP 200g Clarity set and the current 45RPM 5 LP 200g set from Analogue Productions. Has any one had a chance to compare these two versions, and if so, what are your thoughts? The AP is significantly cheaper, but I have a fondness for Classic's 45-RPM single-sided Clarity releases; decisions, decisions!

Cheers,

Rich

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a copy of the Royal Ballet Gala Performances, and I'm trying to decide between the Classic Records 45RPM 9 single-sided LP 200g Clarity set and the current 45RPM 5 LP 200g set from Analogue Productions. Has any one had a chance to compare these two versions, and if so, what are your thoughts? The AP is significantly cheaper, but I have a fondness for Classic's 45-RPM single-sided Clarity releases; decisions, decisions!

Cheers,

Rich

hi Rich,

there are actually 2 different Classic Records 45rpm -9- single disc Royal Ballet Gala Performances; one is an earlier black vinyl pressings version which i own, and then a later '200g Clarity' set. not heard the Clarity set. my black vinyl version is as good a sounding record as i own. a supreme demo grade record if there ever was one.

is the Clarity a new mastering? or did they use the mother's from the black vinyl version to press the Clarity version? don't know.

my bet is that the Classic vinyl is the way to go as it's maybe 10 years earlier tapes, and generally i prefer my Classic 45's to the later AP's. but that is just an educated guess. this recording is so great that i'm sure they are all very very good. you simply cannot go wrong.

of course, as always, you are welcome to stop by and hear my pressings for yourself should you have the opportunity.

best regards,

Mike

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I have AP 5 45 rpm and is very good
Never listen CR 9 45 rpm but I am near sure CR will be better because others I have CR 45 rpm always better than AP 45

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
hi Rich,

there are actually 2 different Classic Records 45rpm -9- single disc Royal Ballet Gala Performances; one is an earlier black vinyl pressings version which i own, and then a later '200g Clarity' set. not heard the Clarity set. my black vinyl version is as good a sounding record as i own. a supreme demo grade record if there ever was one.

is the Clarity a new mastering? or did they use the mother's from the black vinyl version to press the Clarity version? don't know.

my bet is that the Classic vinyl is the way to go as it's maybe 10 years earlier tapes, and generally i prefer my Classic 45's to the later AP's. but that is just an educated guess. this recording is so great that i'm sure they are all very very good. you simply cannot go wrong.

of course, as always, you are welcome to stop by and hear my pressings for yourself should you have the opportunity.

best regards,

Mike

Thanks for your reply, Mike: I was hoping you'd chime in! :)

I'm not sure what master was used, but if I had to guess, I would say that the Clarity version used them same mothers. I have the Classic 33-RPM version (two actually: a regular one, and one in the old-stye slip case) and you're correct about the demo-level sound quality!

I would be more than happy to pay you another visit, once this COVID thing is behind us!

MikeHorns

Jul 6, 2014
Los Angeles
I have a few Classic Clarity LPs and would avoid them as they were pressed "in-house" by Hobson's team and not RTI. They are prone to defects(non-fill) and other QC issues due to clear vinyl.

As for Classic vs AP, I agree with others that CR is better sounding(especially the 180g which was pressed by RTI) mainly because I'm not a fan of Ryan Smith's mastering choices. Ryan was probably directed by Chad to try to replicate the original compressed/overly EQ'd Living Stereo "golden age" sound.

Last edited:
Reactions: MadFloyd

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
I have a few Classic Clarity LPs and would avoid them as they were pressed "in-house" by Hobson's team and not RTI. They are prone to defects(non-fill) and other QC issues due to clear vinyl.

As for Classic vs AP, I agree with others that CR is better sounding(especially the 180g which was pressed by RTI) mainly because I'm not a fan of Ryan Smith's mastering choices. Ryan was probably directed by Chad to try to replicate the original compressed/overly EQ'd Living Stereo "golden age" sound.
That's interesting about your experience with the Clarity vinyl LP quality. I have about a dozen titles have been happy with them all. Luck of draw, perhaps?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i've only carefully compared a 45' Clarity pressing and my 45' black Classic pressing on one title, it was many years ago, but in that case definitely preferred the Clarity.

this was with the 'Autumn Leaves' cut from Adderley's 'Something Else'' album. i bought the Clarity Stereo and Clarity Mono box sets and preferred both those to the single disc 45' black vinyl pressing i had. i love this cut so covered all my bases. and still listen to that Clarity stereo pressing often.

Classic Records never did do a full album 45rpm version of 'Something Else' with the black vinyl; so maybe this is not representative of other examples, and that single disc did not get their normal full mastering attention. i do have the AP 45rpm version of 'Something Else' but never play it.

i have no recollection of any quality issues with any of my Clarity pressings. but now that you have brought this up i will pay more attention. i know i have one 33rpm example (maybe two?) where they pressed both black and clarity versions of the same recording likely with the same mother. i recall it's an Ella title, but don't remember what i heard when i played those. have to dig it out sometime and re-visit that. of course, it's likely if they were then doing their own pressings, that the black vinyl would not be the same as the RTI versions of the black pressings. so it might not help to understand this question.

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I have several Clarity pressings and agree that they are problematic. Very noisy pressings.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing