Rockport Technologies Introduces Orion Loudspeaker

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
This is one of the very best interviews I have ever seen.
Fantastic job Ron. Extremely informative and fun to watch.
Seeing Andy and his top expert point of view is just eye opening experience.

I believe everyone of us heard close box , first order crossovers and open buffle speakers
but now we know what is „wrong” in their sound presentation.
Only a true top class expert in the field like Andy can give you true answer for issues to look for in the other designs.
For some reason Rockport remains on the top of sound reproduction with only 6 people in the team. Hope this company will keep doing things their own way forever.

Reactions: MadFloyd

JiminGa

May 16, 2023
They are like a boutique design firm with an elite subject matter expert running the show. It’s a little like Gryphon does it. They find the very best people at each part and have them build it to their design parameters. Josh doesn’t want a CNC machine that then has to produce a specific kind of product. Andy has built subwoofers and sealed box speakers and he is always looking ahead to change things when a better idea comes along. Unlike other major manufacturers he is not boxed in by rigid adherence to a philosophy. This way he stays nimble and can be creative. They sell everything they make and are backlogged. They don’t want to double or triple the employee count. They like it the way it is but they are looking for land to build another facility to help with the bottlenecks they face now. No time for a turntable. The just want to keep making a relatively small number of very fine speakers and to keep getting better. I admire them greatly.

MAXPWR

Dec 1, 2019
Iowa, High-End, Fly-Over Country
Please enjoy my interview with Andy Payor, Founder and Chief Designer, Rockport Technologies, in which we discuss the Orion, among many other Rockport models:

Ron Resnick’s Master and Makers interview with Andy Payor 12 days ago has already gotten 31K views! Ron did a very good interview with Andy, who I would call “an Engineers, Engineer.” For Andy to realize his creations, he has had to be multi-disciplined, being versed in material science, acoustics, physics, and electrical engineering. Add to that his obvious excellent communications skills and drive for excellence. Having been in a large technically orientated company, surrounded by thousands of engineers, I can tell you Andy impresses me as being “one in a thousand” with respect to engineering talent. In my 40-year tenure being an engineer, and working with 100’s of other engineers, I realized the following.

You can have a great abundance of skills, but if you lack inspiration, you will never create greatness.

I see that inspiration in Andy Payor, resulting in the great Rockport product line we see today. I also commend Andy for sticking to what he is good at, engineering! Andy had the wherewithal to turn the day-to-day business over to Josh Clark so he could continue doing what he does best, engineering. Rockport also seems to be in good hands with Jon Zimmer as Director of Sales, as evidenced, with the recent video of him in the UK premier of the Orion speakers. For a small, specialty company they have positioned themselves well in this niche market.

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
There is also one thing that you realize after you spend some time with top Rockports.
You hear the box and it's coloration in every other brand speaker. This is unpleasant to your ears and brain.
I stopped visiting to audition others systems as it makes no sense.
But I like to invite others, so there is no surprise they really like to spend more time with my Lyra.

It looks this kind of purity In reproduction becomes addictive to your ears and eliminates the need to change for anything else.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing