Repeated plays in succession...how harmful is it?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The interaction between stylus and vinyl creates an enormous amount of friction and heat, so I've always tried to refrain from playing my LP's twice in a row. Not always easy when you're in the mood to listen to a particular album side a few times, but it's better than the potential damage it could inflict. So far I've not heard any damaging artifacts from a vinyl record that has been played in that manner. I also wouldn't know what to listen for, although I suppose that would be self-evident when hearing it.

Do any of you have any experience with this? And what is your considered opinion about the potential for damage? Also, what is your strategy? How long do you wait before giving your vinyl another spin?

As usual....thanks in advance for your input!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
The interaction between stylus and vinyl creates an enormous amount of friction and heat, so I've always tried to refrain from playing my LP's twice in a row. Not always easy when you're in the mood to listen to a particular album side a few times, but it's better than the potential damage it could inflict. So far I've not heard any damaging artifacts from a vinyl record that has been played in that manner. I also wouldn't know what to listen for, although I suppose that would be self-evident when hearing it.

Do any of you have any experience with this? And what is your considered opinion about the potential for damage? Also, what is your strategy? How long do you wait before giving your vinyl another spin?

As usual....thanks in advance for your input!

The heat dissipates fast.... by the time the needle hits the same groove for the second time there will be no heat left. I wouldn't worry about it. Play away.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The heat dissipates fast.... by the time the needle hits the same groove for the second time there will be no heat left. I wouldn't worry about it. Play away.

I always thought that too, but many seem to feel it's not a good practice. I'm not overly concerned, but I thought it was an interesting enough scenario to get opinion on. Glad to hear that you feel it isn't an issue! Thanks!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I always thought that too, but many seem to feel it's not a good practice. I'm not overly concerned, but I thought it was an interesting enough scenario to get opinion on. Glad to hear that you feel it isn't an issue! Thanks!

You could always get a thermal heat reader. I would bet a lot that the vinyl is room temp long before the second play.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have read long ago an article in TAS where it was stated that if you play an LP track twice it will not sound exactly the same - the vinyl LP is a plastic fluid and it will take sometime to recover the original shape after being played. But as far as I remember it did not refer to damaging the LP.

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
I have read long ago an article in TAS where it was stated that if you play an LP track twice it will not sound exactly the same - the vinyl LP is a plastic fluid and it will take sometime to recover the original shape after being played. But as far as I remember it did not refer to damaging the LP.

The music I listen to, I could never tell if a change occurred from one play to the next.

However, record it using a program like AUDACITY and check the waveform. No listening involved. If there were any changes I think it would be easy to see them.

KlausR.

Dec 13, 2010
Vinyl has a much lower thermal conductivity than diamond (0.15 as compared to 2000), which means that the diamond conducts heat away from the record. The factor which appears to be important is physical deformation of the vinyl material in the (hopefully) elastic range, due to stylus pressure, from which the material needs to recover.

Max (RCA Victor Division), "Record Stylus Pressure", JAES 1955, p.66

SOME EXPERIMENTAL FINDINGS ON RELATIVE WEAR
There are a few experimental facts which can be explained play qualitatively on the basis of these viscoelastic properties. If we repeatedly play a small portion of a polystyrene record at short intervals, of about 5 to 10 seconds, we find rapid record wear. A similar effect can sometimes be found on vinyl records but to a lesser degree. In 10 to 20 plays, the grooves become noisy as a result of breakdown. If the intervals between successive playings are made 20 minutes long, these same records will show no particular damage from wear after more than 100 plays. Apparently, the repeated playing at short intervals does not give the plastic a chance to recover. As a result, the stress builds higher with each additional playing. This phenomenon conforms to the concept of the delayed elastic effect.

Klaus

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Vinyl has a much lower thermal conductivity than diamond (0.15 as compared to 2000), which means that the diamond conducts heat away from the record. The factor which appears to be important is physical deformation of the vinyl material in the (hopefully) elastic range, due to stylus pressure, from which the material needs to recover.

Max (RCA Victor Division), "Record Stylus Pressure", JAES 1955, p.66

SOME EXPERIMENTAL FINDINGS ON RELATIVE WEAR
There are a few experimental facts which can be explained play qualitatively on the basis of these viscoelastic properties. If we repeatedly play a small portion of a polystyrene record at short intervals, of about 5 to 10 seconds, we find rapid record wear. A similar effect can sometimes be found on vinyl records but to a lesser degree. In 10 to 20 plays, the grooves become noisy as a result of breakdown. If the intervals between successive playings are made 20 minutes long, these same records will show no particular damage from wear after more than 100 plays. Apparently, the repeated playing at short intervals does not give the plastic a chance to recover. As a result, the stress builds higher with each additional playing. This phenomenon conforms to the concept of the delayed elastic effect.

Klaus

I've seen that and while it's interesting, do you really think that the results apply to current vinyl formulations? Think the vinyl Chad, RTI, Pallas, MOFI use nowadays is very different and assumedly better. That's the problem with the AES offprints. Some are relevant and some are just out of date.

KlausR.

Dec 13, 2010
MylesBAstor said:
I've seen that and while it's interesting, do you really think that the results apply to current vinyl formulations? Think the vinyl Chad, RTI, Pallas, MOFI use nowadays is very different and assumedly better. That's the problem with the AES offprints. Some are relevant and some are just out of date.

Since I for one don't have any details about the exact vinyl formulations and their respective mechanical properties, I only can say: I don't know. Maybe Max's results do apply, maybe they don't. Many of us have vinyl from when they were young, so maybe the formulation used then wasn't that much different from what was used when Max wrote his paper. Since we don't know for sure it's maybe advisable to play safe and avoid repeated playings without giving the vinyl some rest time.

Klaus

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
20 minutes suggests that you can (in most cases) repeatedly play the same side of an LP, just maybe not the same track.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
20 minutes suggests that you can (in most cases) repeatedly play the same side of an LP, just maybe not the same track.

Since I play whole album sides almost exclusively, this suggests then that an album side can be played again without "rest".

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing