Preserved moss as an echo buster

rubinken

Jan 15, 2020
Olympia, WA, USA
I'll give it a try. I'm not sure how furniture etc will have to be re-arranged. We shall see and hear...

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Looking at the pics of your lovely room, I cannot but agree that placing the speakers in front of the glass would give you music combined with a beautiful view... I had my bi-amped Genesis in front of (curtained) french windows with good results.
That said, I think you need to pull those speakers well away from the front wall (i.e. the wall behind them): you will get depth of field & a better sense of space. Good luck!

Reactions: rubinken

rubinken

Jan 15, 2020
Olympia, WA, USA
Looking at the pics of your lovely room, I cannot but agree that placing the speakers in front of the glass would give you music combined with a beautiful view... I had my bi-amped Genesis in front of (curtained) french windows with good results.
That said, I think you need to pull those speakers well away from the front wall (i.e. the wall behind them): you will get depth of field & a better sense of space. Good luck!
I'm still trying to wrap my head around having the speakers in front of the glass. A challenge is that the 'great room' serves two purposes, a dining area and a hang-out-with-family-and-friends space. I'm still figuring out how to serve those two purposes with speakers in front of the glass. BTW, currently the speakers are about 4' from the wall. I don't think the photo shows that clearly.

Reactions: Gregm

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I'm still trying to wrap my head around having the speakers in front of the glass. A challenge is that the 'great room' serves two purposes, a dining area and a hang-out-with-family-and-friends space. I'm still figuring out how to serve those two purposes with speakers in front of the glass. BTW, currently the speakers are about 4' from the wall. I don't think the photo shows that clearly.
lol, just put the speakers there and listen for a spell. If you like it you will figure out the rest, if you hate it no harm no foul and put them back in there previous residence. Don't over think it.

rubinken

Jan 15, 2020
Olympia, WA, USA
lol, just put the speakers there and listen for a spell. If you like it you will figure out the rest, if you hate it no harm no foul and put them back in there previous residence. Don't over think it.
I'll try it for sure. Most curious to check out out.

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
I'm still trying to wrap my head around having the speakers in front of the glass. A challenge is that the 'great room' serves two purposes, a dining area and a hang-out-with-family-and-friends space. I'm still figuring out how to serve those two purposes with speakers in front of the glass.
Looking at the photos again, it is quite clear that placing speakers in front of the glass will be quite an undertaking!
BTW, currently the speakers are about 4' from the wall. I don't think the photo shows that clearly.
Yes, in the photo the speakers do look somehow confined on either side of the fireplace. Have you tried to bring them further forward (so they clear the fireplace) and, maybe, further apart from one another -- just as an experiment.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Looking at the photos again, it is quite clear that placing speakers in front of the glass will be quite an undertaking!

Yes, in the photo the speakers do look somehow confined on either side of the fireplace. Have you tried to bring them further forward (so they clear the fireplace) and, maybe, further apart from one another -- just as an experiment.
Moved to in front of the window or left where they currently are, the speakers will be in front of big reflective surfaces with no measures in place to mitigate the reflections. The leading conventional room acoustics consultants (e.g., Acoustic Fields) would say that windows are a "no-no" in a listening room and that they couldn't help with this room given all of the glass. Indeed, that was the reaction of several posters on this thread. The industry leading innovator in studio/pro audio room acoustical treatment (DHDI) has apparently managed to tame enough of the reflections in a room with extensive glass to allow it to serve as a recording studio (links below) which suggests that ceiling and wall treatments might make a significant improvement in Rubinken's room.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing