Pre-Amp with HT pass though

ejusted

Feb 9, 2011
New Jersey
Hey everybody....

I am currently in the demo'ing phase and I thought I would try and get some feed back from everyone. I just wrapped up the purchase of a new set of front floorstanders for my two channel system (focal 1038be II). I am looking for a good tube pre-amp to add to my current SS amplifier (Pass Labs X250)

So far the only thing I've had the time to see/hear is the Macintosh 2300 tube pre-amp and the PrimaLuna Dialogue 3 tube pre-amp. Also Acoustic research I've heard has bypass on some of their models and the Odyssee Candela tube pre-amp. I am looking for something that will add some warmth to my system. So far the Tube/SS set-ups I've seen sound very impressive. The problem is when it comes to HT bypass/passthrough it somewhat limits your choices. I live in the NY/NJ area and it seems like there aren't too many places that carry this type of gear anymore.
I am looking for some more suggestions as far as tube pre-amps that I should be looking for or researching.
My qualifications are......Sound is most important, then function (ie: must have a remote)....then aesthetics, and footprint is last in order of importance. Ideally, the price is should not exceed the cost of my current amplifier.

(site note) 2 channel set up will consist of dac, htpc, preamp, and amp pictured here

Thanks in advance!!!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
What you seem to be asking is where unity gain is on each preamp.

My Lamm LL1 signature has unity gain at a very precise easily found location as does all of his other tube amps. PM me if you wish to discuss Lamm tube preamps

ejusted

Feb 9, 2011
New Jersey
What you seem to be asking is where unity gain is on each preamp.

My Lamm LL1 signature has unity gain at a very precise easily found location as does all of his other tube amps. PM me if you wish to discuss Lamm tube preamps

Well I'm not sure if we are talking about the same thing. I am essentially trying to create two systems in one. The two channel will consist of the pre-amp, amp, dac, pc and the front (LR) speakers for analog audio. However, when I watch movies the reciever which I already own will handle everything else, but then HT bypass switch (on the pre-amp) will be selected, disabling preamp volume control and surrendering it to the receiver allowing the signal to pass through when watching a movie. Its connected via the front (LR) preouts of the receiver and one of the preamp's inputs.
Hopefully I did a good job explaining that one! :D

Steve Williams

Well I'm not sure if we are talking about the same thing. I am essentially trying to create two systems in one. The two channel will consist of the pre-amp, amp, dac, pc and the front (LR) speakers for analog audio. However, when I watch movies the reciever which I already own will handle everything else, but then HT bypass switch (on the pre-amp) will be selected, disabling preamp volume control and surrendering it to the receiver allowing the signal to pass through when watching a movie. Its connected via the front (LR) preouts of the receiver and one of the preamp's inputs.
Hopefully I did a good job explaining that one! :D

That is exactly what I have

I run L + R main channels out of my prepro into my preamp which is set at unity gain. Then I use the remote of my prepro to control the volume when I watch movies as it brings the levels up together of all channels including that which is passing through my preamp at unity gain. Otherwise I use my tube preamp for audio. Very simple

ejusted

Feb 9, 2011
New Jersey
I'd put the money into removing or getting away from that wall flanking the left speaker.

Kal

Already looked into that and it would be too much of a hassle to remove. The speakers I had prior where a lot thinner, but now its definitely more noticeable. Luckily I will be moving in the next few months (different home) into a more dedicated set-up. So I am just going to tough it out for a while.

ejusted

Feb 9, 2011
New Jersey
That is exactly what I have

I run L + R main channels out of my prepro into my preamp which is set at unity gain. Then I use the remote of my prepro to control the volume when I watch movies as it brings the levels up together of all channels including that which is passing through my preamp at unity gain. Otherwise I use my tube preamp for audio. Very simple

Ahhh.... I see. I wasn't aware of that option. Thanks for elaborating!! I will have to do some more research on "unity gain" That sounds like a more simpler solution to what I am trying to accomplish.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi ejusted,

Yes you and Steve are talking about the same thing. Basically having fixed gain for a set of inputs. Some preamps have a dedicated setting for HT bypass, this may or may not be unity gain (no attenuation-no added gain) making the term "bypass" misleading but not really very consequential except to the most OCD (like me and Steve Hahahahaha). Some preamps let you program a fixed level of gain for particular inputs thus allowing you to make any of the inputs an HT bypass. Steve's preamps use stepped attenuators so like he said finding the same fixed gain used for calibration (again whether unity or not) very simple and easy. In short, any preamp, even without an HT bypass input can be integrated into an HT for as long as you can accurately return to the volume setting used during calibration. A dedicated HT bypass is just the most convenient. What I would avoid however are preamps that don't have the feature and don't use stepped attenuators, preamps that aren't programmable and preamps that don't use stepped attenuators. In other words, the ones with smooth volume knob operations which will likely be a hit and miss affair every time.

Hope this helps even just a little bit. :)

Jack

Steve Williams

Hi ejusted,

Yes you and Steve are talking about the same thing. Basically having fixed gain for a set of inputs. Some preamps have a dedicated setting for HT bypass, this may or may not be unity gain (no attenuation-no added gain) making the term "bypass" misleading but not really very consequential except to the most OCD (like me and Steve Hahahahaha). Some preamps let you program a fixed level of gain for particular inputs thus allowing you to make any of the inputs an HT bypass. Steve's preamps use stepped attenuators so like he said finding the same fixed gain used for calibration (again whether unity or not) very simple and easy. In short, any preamp, even without an HT bypass input can be integrated into an HT for as long as you can accurately return to the volume setting used during calibration. A dedicated HT bypass is just the most convenient. What I would avoid however are preamps that don't have the feature and don't use stepped attenuators, preamps that aren't programmable and preamps that don't use stepped attenuators. In other words, the ones with smooth volume knob operations which will likely be a hit and miss affair every time.

Hope this helps even just a little bit. :)

Jack

precisely Jack

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing