Playback quality from best to lesser

Don C

Jul 20, 2013
USA
1). reel to reel tape. Back around the 80’s I heard a John Curl modified Studer, 2” wide, 30 ips, two track , 2nd generation Mark Levinson Jazz recording play back and it was the best quality playback ever. The sound field just jumped in realism. This was at a store called the audiophile sound studio near Madison Wi, and were part of tho original Mark Levinson HQD system. The store went under in the 80’s.
2) LP playback on several expensive, properly setup, turntables were next best playback quality. The results are dependent on setup .
3). SACD playback on top Sony SACD player. Similar to LP on some SACDs only.
4) A few High Rez digital streaming recordings. Only a few beat out regular CD playback. Highly dependent on particular recording version.
5) CD playback with a great D/A converter. Take you pick of the many makes.
6) everything else

Any comments?

Last edited:

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
1). reel to reel tape. Back around the 80’s I heard a John Curl modified Studer, 2” wide, 30 ips, two track , 2nd generation Mark Levinson Jazz recording play back and it was the best quality playback ever. The sound field just jumped in realism. This was at a store called the audiophile sound studio near Madison Wi, and were part of tho original Mark Levinson HQD system. The store went under in the 80’s.
2) LP playback on several expensive, properly setup, turntables were next best playback quality. The results are dependent on setup .
3). SACD playback on top Sony SACD player. Similar to LP on some SACDs only.
4) A few High Rez digital streaming recordings. Only a few beat out regular CD playback. Highly dependent on particular recording version.
5) CD playback with a great D/A converter. Take you pick of the many makes.
6) everything else

Any comments?
I agree with your order,except for me streaming would be last.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing